Mondial Newbie Questions | FerrariChat

Mondial Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by BwanaJoe, Oct 24, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Hello to all.

Thinking about getting a QV Mondial and I have some quick questions. I talked with my "local" Ferrari dealer about a Mondial. He said they no longer carry them because "those car's electrical systems tended to be problematic". Are they that bad? I assumed they were pretty much like the 308 where you worried about the fuse block and slow windows.

Also, other than the usual first and last year being more "collectable" any reason to get a T over a QV? (I know more power, but also, more expense)

Thanks,

Joe

2. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
    Joe,
    The Mondial's electical systems are their Achilles' heel. But the knowledge is here to get by those problems. Do a little search and you're reading your way through the problems that may occurr.
    The answer to your second question is to get the latest serie of a model you can afford.
    Best and good luck in your search
    Jurgen

3. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have a Mondial 8.
    Key points for all Ferrari and Mondials in particular:
    1) Pre purchase mechanical inspection. DO NOT BUY WITHOUT ONE. If bidding, contact the seller and ask if any bid can be contingent on PPI. If not, walk.
    You must realize that ALL Ferraris have their parts dipped in platinum. I paid for my Mondial twice. Once to buy it and that amount again in parts and service. Consider: Clutch job: $3,000. Major Tune up: $4,000 every five years. Get the picture?
    2) Do homework on prices
    3) Budget at least 5k for repairs and work just for a "good one"(if you don't end up needing it, fine)
    4) Depending on your budget, better to get a needs nothing no stories Mondial 8 for 18,000, than a 3.2 for 30,000 that needs 20,000 worth of work.
    Better to spend money up front for a good one than to have to fix up. The first way is cheaper. Trust me on that one.

Now, quick summary of the models

1) Mondial 8 1980-82
    First run of the car. A 2 valve engine.
    Black bumpers, weakest engine..BUT...can get a nearly perfect one for 20k.
    Yes, slow from 0-60, but once moving has plenty of speed (for me). It has all the right sounds, looks (imho) and feels like what it is..a Ferrari.

Same engine as the 308

2) Mondial QV. 1983-85
    All that applies to the 8, applies here, except add 2-5 to price and more horsepower and better console layout.
    Prices about 25,000+

Same engine as the 308qv

3) Mondial 3.2 1986-1988
    In my opinion, if you can afford it, this is THE best value in Ferraris, not to mention Mondials.
    Beautiful color coded bumpers, nice 3.2 engine, non-metric tires and wheels after 86. ABS, on later models.
    Prices about 27,000+
    Same engine as the 328 (tied for best Ferrari value)

4) Mondial t 1989-92(?)
    All same applies as 3.2, but with a 3.4 engine, different engine configuration.
    Adds power steering and really nice and modern interior. Mostly cabs...coupes VERY rare. Most costly in purchase and upkeep....but soooo nice.
    Prices about 40,000+

Same engine as the 348.

4. rfking

rfking Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Italy
    All good suggestions and info - I have an 88 3.2 that is my daily driver - heat - cold - rain - whatever.

Runs like a charm!

And always makes the ride home in the evening a pleasure no matter how bad a day it has been.

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    very nice summary below
    have had an 88 3.2 for 10 years - daily driver for several years in America and Europe

6. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Sam was nice to give you a rundown. You are new to the Forum but seem to know a bit about the cars. First off, do a Forum search. And check the old archives. If you do a forum search, you will find a bunch of threads talking about the pros and cons of 308s, 328s, Mondials, QV vs. Carb cars, 2V vs. 4V, etc. You can literally sit in front of your computer for days reading the old threads here and getting more information than you could ever hope for.

That said, I had an '84 Mondial QV for a couple of years. Great car. Few minor electrical problems. But as someone who collects and buys and sells old cars, I can tell you, virtually ALL old cars have electrical problems compared to modern cars. The Mondies have a problem with the circuit board in the fuseblock, as well as connectors on a couple of circuits. Nothing that can't be fixed. If you are looking for an inexpensive way to get into a Ferrari, have a roomy car that drives well and is fun, and is actually fairly rare, go for a Mondial QV or later 3.2 or t.

7. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Didn't see the archives. I must have missed it. I was only leafing through the 308/Mondial forum. I am British Car Guy (LBCs) from way back. I still have a TR6, so I know about Prince of Darkness in all his ways. It sounds as if the Mondial or 308 will be no different. If you don't find one that is sorted, you will be the one who has to go through the pain of fixing all the DPO's back or bad work.

The other concern (brought up by sjmst) is of course maintenance costs. I have a good idea of the cost of a major service at the dealer and the independents will run. What I don't know is how much the car will run if driven 3K miles a year. Classic motorsport spouted some like $6K USD for a 308! Hell, that is over a major service cost EACH YEAR! Somehow I can't believe that to true. Was the magazine correct?!

And off the topic, how are you guys treated in the general Ferrari community? In particular, the FCA? Back in Charlotte, NC I had a TR owner tell me that most of the FCA they knew (not hung out with) looking down on the 8Cyl cars in general and the 308 and its off-shoots in particular.

Thanks again,

Joe

8. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    One more item to look for are the tires. Mondis use metric 390mm TRXs. The only source left is Coker. Current price is about $480 each tire. There are alternatives such as the Superformance look alike wheels that take 16" tires. Check to see if the car has original metric tires. If it does plan on spending at least $2k to upgrade or replace.

9. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Sam,

Cool summary on the Mondial, dude.

:)

10. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    Welcome Bwana Joe -

If your serious about your seach for the right Fcar for you, your in the right place.

All the info is here.
    As the previous posts state, if you do your homework, a PPI and wait - the "right " car for you will come along!

Best of luck in your quest!

11. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Did I understand correctly that is wasn't until 88(?) that Ferrari went to standard tires on the car? Can you retrofit the later rims?

Thanks,

Joe

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    yes

13. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I thought they went to non metric in '87. In any case, yes, the later Mondial rims are a simple bolt on. Also, no way does a car driven 3,000 miles a year need a major each year. The manual on mine says every 52,000 miles. I would say you are more than safe if you go 3-5 years and 35,000 miles. That's just me, but in the case of a low value car like my Mondial a $5,000-6,000 belt change or a major more than needed is NOT "cheap insurance."

Apart from that, if they are saying that it will still cost 5K or 6K a year to run 3,000 miles per year on other repairs, I say that sounds high. Once the car is sorted out, maybe 1-2 should be about it.

14. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Stupid question and one I haven't found in searching. AFTER the car is sorted, why 1K to 2K a year in costs? Other than oil/filter changes and radiator flushes, what will run 2K a year? I assume the 308 and Mondial are the same in costs.

Thanks,

Joe

PS: I wish I'd found the forum years ago. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

15. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #15 GrigioGuy, Oct 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Because these are old Italian cars, and they're never really FULLY sorted :D Also, it's not a bad idea to put the money away for the service year by year. You may not actually spend 1K each year, but if you have a major due @ 4K every 5 years it's nice to have it in pocket.

re: wheels, quite a few folk have bolted up 348 wheels to the Mondial. Also Ronal makes some wheels with the right offsets and patterns. Attached is a pic of a buddy's Fireari with Ronal rims.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    We have a QV and it has cost virtually nothing to maintain other than the normal periodic stuff like oil changes. (Once all the things were fixed!) Yes, when I got it it needed a major so I did timing belts, tensioners, valve adjust etc. myself. Since then it has been: fill with gas, drive. Fill with gas again. A lot of gas. It gets lousy milage! Then the occasional oil change. The Mondial, with the exception of the lousy fusebox, is a very reliable car and actually fairly practical, while still being sporty and fun. And yeah, it's a real Ferrari. I have never had anyone "dis" the Mondial in my presence, except here on Fchat occasionally, and mostly as jokes from other Mondial owners. The Mondial is a very attractive car in the metal. People who do not think they look like a Ferrari should have usually not seen one except in pictures. It is much more attractive in person. Ferrari no longer makes a 2+2 mid-engined car, so it's a bit of a real exotic in that way. Sure, the 612 is way faster and more expensive and has a 12 cylinder engine, but it's not mid-engined!

Birdman

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I think the 348 wheels look hot on the Mondial, which is why I selected them as replacements for the TRX wheels on ours. New wheels/tires are cheaper than Cokers for the TRX wheels.

Birdman

18. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Right, agreed. Also, simple parts cost a fortune and many places that work on F cars charge more.

Agreed!

19. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    Sounds like a quote Shelton Ferrari gave me when I was looking for mine.....am I right?
    The only problem I've had with mine thus far is the well known issue with the fuse box......and HOPEFULLY, that's an issue that will be cured with a project that's underway!......Right guys? Right?

20. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Strange predicament I find myself in.... I have an 89t and a 355. I probably should sell one of them and use the cash for other purposes. I will most likely end up selling the 355 as I find the Mondial is just more enjoyable to drive. And after the small collision in April, it has finally been fully repaired by Dave at Premier Motorsport (in LA) and is truly stunning and better than when I bought it!

I guess it will really come down to which car attracts a better return, which unfortunately will likely be the Mondial. But there you have it - overall I prefer the Mondial t over a 355.

21. Fyrrari

Fyrrari Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    David
    How funny...I bought both too.

I kept the Mondial!

22. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Most of the Mondial electrics can be traced to unrepaired or poorly repaired original (bullet-type fuse) fuseboxes. Once upgraded to the blade-type ('86 on, only type that is currently available), the electrics are much better. Now, as they age, the spring-loaded female terminals in the plastic blocks can heat and lose their "temper", making for a flaky connection even though you have a new fusebox, but the terminals are available individually and will rectify that problem, at least for a couple years. Often, the "re-engineering" performed by both amateur and professional mechanics introduce more problems than fixing the problems correctly, but there is no Mondial that shoulc be condemned solely on the observation that "there are too many electrical problems."

-Peter (put a brand new 3.2 fusebox in Birdman's car before he got it, drive my Mondial t Coupe every day without ONE electrical problem!)

23. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    The only problem I've had with mine thus far is the well known issue with the fuse box......and HOPEFULLY, that's an issue that will be cured with a project that's underway!......Right guys? Right?[/QUOTE]

I'm giving it my best shot!

24. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
  25. Tiger Racing

Tiger Racing Karting

Jun 23, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ish! Why do you care? Lots of Ferrari owners are wankers. Ignore them just as you'd ignore any other snob who darkened your doorstep. The real car guys will make themselves known and welcome you in.

Anecdotally, my family has 12 cylinder Ferraris, 8 cylinder Ferraris and a Dino and we love them all. I've got a Mondial QV Cab that I've had great fun with and would recommend to anyone looking for a reasonably affordable exotic.

C.