Mondial heater core flushed | FerrariChat

Mondial heater core flushed

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by AndruL, Jan 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
  2. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    A write up on that procedure would be awesome.

3. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Short video

4. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    I second the write-up. The video and photo's are not too helpful by themselves..

5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Is this something that you think need to be done due to age?

6. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I'll let Andrul do the write up.
    My car came from Southern California where heaters are rarely used. To reverse flush it I put a garden hose up under the dash attached to the heater core and turned it on, scary! It made big improvement on my car.
    ps I DID NOT give it the full 40 lbs PSI of hose pressure.

7. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
  8. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Outlet is here. Follow the larger hose under your front right wheel where it merges into the main return pipe from the radiator back to the engine. Disconnect it along with your inlet. Connect proper hose adapters to your garden hose and back flush from outlet. Then reverse the flush back and forth a few times. Watch the pressure, your plumbing under pressure is only ~14psi, you don't want the full 30-40psi from the garden hose.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan likes this.
  9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Has anyone actually ever changed out this heater hose? I have seen threads about the main coolant hoses, but never on this one.

10. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    My 3.2 Coupe also spent its entire life in California (until August) and I suspect the heater was never used.

Here in Connecticut I have driven the car on some really cold days, and used the heater. It works great, but I have noticed a slight smell from the heater during use that I can’t describe. I don’t think it smells like antifreeze. I can also hear slight gurgling noises from the heater core/piping, especially after some spirited driving.

There is no visible leaking from the core, or condensation on the windows to suggest a leaky core.

It has amazed me how little I have felt I needed the heater. The natural greenhouse effect, plus coolant circulating from radiator to the engine seems to keep the cabin a very comfortable temperature.

11. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I used my heater for the first time a week ago. Worked well but I heard like a click noise from the dash every 5-7 seconds when the heater was on.

12. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Thanks for the photos and write-up Andrul!

13. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Nice! :cool:
    IMHO you should not use tap water unless you "fully" drain your system afterwards, which is quite impossible and that immediately give you the issue on the longer run if tap water stays in. Although the tap water is absolutely drinkable it is the very opposite for your engine as it is not demineralized. One should use demineralized water. The minerals in tap water will have effect on your cylinder head, thermostat and head gasket and many more areas eventually.

I think it is a very nice procedure btw if when you do not want to drain most of the system.

14. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Yes, as a precaution, the heater core was completely rinsed out with coolant after flushed. However, compare to the nasty slush that came out of the heater core, a few oz. of tap water left after rinsing, if any, mixed in with a total of 5.2 Gallons of coolant won't matter much.