Mondial headliner replacement | FerrariChat

Mondial headliner replacement

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by st.tully, Dec 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. st.tully

st.tully Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    I have a 1982 Mondial 8 and would like to replace the headliner. It looks pretty good but the backing has dry rotted so when you touch it you feel a little crunching and a brown powdery substance floats out.

Anyone know if the original material is still available? Or how much labor is involved?

I read the post on the 308 restoration where the rear window had to come out to redo the headliner - hope the M8 is not that complicated.

Thanks, george

2. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    My car has the red cloth lining and I beleive that it unobtainable now. The whole headliner comes out as one piece, not easy but the window stays in! I also have a sunroof that has blown out twice when opening the windows at high speed so I've welded it up and when I replace the headliner later next year Im going to cover the whole area to make it look neater. As NZ is recond to be the place for restoration I might be able to get a match for the cloth, if not then leather will have to do.

3. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    George, I don't think it's that big a deal. Take loose the grab handles (be careful, the plastic can be brittle and snap off) and remove the trim screws that hold the thin, wide panels near the top of the back glass. Remove the sun visors and the panel should fall away. The sound proofing open cell foam has dried out is is falling out. I think there is a fabric available that is very close, just depends on what color the original was. You know, there was a leather head liner cover option for your car!

Good luck.

-Peter

4. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    You know, there was a leather head liner cover option for your car!

-Peter[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that, thanks! Try hard to keep originality!

5. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I have a perfect Headlining in my 83 Uk Qv, I will be removing it as I am converting mine for racing/trackdays etc..., it is a brown/biege finish, I can take pics if required, Pm me if you are interested Pete Uk

6. st.tully

st.tully Karting

Jan 29, 2004
    Great - if leather was an original option then we will go with leather. The interior is black and headliner is off white/ cream. I guess go with a similar color leather. Exterior is azzuro dino.