Mondial Fuel tank | FerrariChat

Mondial Fuel tank

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by smg2, Jun 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    If the mods want to sticky this it'd be great.

Alright, i'm going to document the job of replacing and fixing any leaks in the fuel system of the Mondial. as we know the mondial stores its tanks under the rear seats. there are a number of hoses exposed to heat and vibration that can cause problems if not addressed.

i have the car in the air and the bottom tray and firewall heat sheild off. a cursory glance at the hoses highlighted a number of things done sketchy, and this was off the assymbly line! room is very limited so i'm going to go all the way and drop both tanks. i'll be taking pictures and identifying the hoses along with their respective sizes so in the future you guys can order the hose prior to starting the job. lots of small runs of hose under a 1ft long and vary in size a few times.

i also added extra work to my job that i'll point out that is not needed so as help you avoid the same mistakes.

without further ado, i'll have an update with pics tommorow and hopefully should have this wrapped up by weeks end. provided parts can be had easily, metric hose is a bugger to find here. i'd love to use the starlight hose by aeroquip, black kevlar with a red wire tracer :)

not sure how the 308 tanks are designed but on the mondial it is two seperate tanks fed by hose connections crossing the radiator and shift rod, flex city!

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    #2 smg2, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    day two a little more, progress. the series of pics show the tanks and the location of the hoses. i will also be doing the adjustable cam pullies and SC project along with the fuel lines so please be patient with me.

i first noticed a stain running down the drivers side tank. thankfully it turned out to be a brake fluid leak from the slave cylinder on the clutch when the shop did the R&R on the motor. the brake fluid ate away at the rustproof coating and dribbled down the tank. my nose indicates the offensive smell originating from the filler pipe. so i'll be investigating that end as well. the fuel pump has a high pressure line that needs imediate attention so i'll be replacing that as well.

my one mistake was losening the shifter rod thinking i'd need to have more room to drop the tanks. no it will not be needed, then i discovered a new problem. i know have to re-set the shifter so it accutually shifts the right gears again. it took me about a 1/2hr of fiddling around to figure it out and get it back where it needs to be. they should have abig yellow warning tag telling you not to touch unless you plan on re-setting the bloody trans again. ugh live and learn.

the charcol lines run to the passenger side tank and have been replaced recently, they are the easist to get at. the cross over hoses are old and dry, need replacing. the main vent line that runs back to the filler neck also looks to be suspect but i can't tell for sure, small price to pay for insurance so it goes on the replacement list. my other big concern is the fuel pump feed line is partially exposed to exhaust heat as the sheild is not long enough, that small section of hose will be replaced and i'll fab up a sheild of sorts.

the tank straps have a cotter pin holding the pin to the strap, i've noticed that in one location the pins sharp end is bent back and is rubbing into the main vent line, no good!.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Excellent!!
    Brilliant photos - many thanks!!!

4. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Its threads like this why I love this site, Excellent thanks for posting/sharing

5. MondialMondo

MondialMondo Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    Great pictures indeed!

Regards