Mondial fuel pumps | FerrariChat

Mondial fuel pumps

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by fatbillybob, Jul 23, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Do you guys remember if 2valve and 4valve 3.0 mondial fuel pumps come on and can be heard with key on? Or do they come on only with the crank of the key?

Thanks!

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    K-jetronic fuel pumps only come on when the air mass plate senses air flow (i.e. engine turning over)

3. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I thought they came on when the ignition is on, hence the buzzing noise behind you, when I had a problem with my starter motor the tone of the buzz dropped when you turned the key as the power was being drained from the pump to the starter

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    No, Russ is right. Fuel pump only pumps when the engine is turning otherwise the injectors could be spraying fuel when the engine wasn't turning. BAD.

5. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Ah I see, so whats the humming/buzzing noise behind you when you first turn the ignition prior to starting??

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    they do start once the key is turned; engine not turning, the metering plate controls the fuel flow. the injectors won't spit fuel unless the plate moves. there is also a redundant sensor to make sure the fuel only suplies via plate movement when the engine is running. think accident, engine stopped pump on.

so i usually will turn the key to the first stop to get the pump on and system pressure up then kick her over to start.

7. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey all,

Cool thread! I just had my 30k on Rachel (92 Mondial t, Valeo Cab) and, all of a sudden, I'm hearing a whurring, electric motor kind of sound, in a fairly constant frequency range - not in sync with engine RPMs - just behind and below my head (left side). There's no connection to my AC, radiator fans or anything else that I could readily identify. Has anyone ever experienced this one?

Cheers, Hank

8. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
  9. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    #9 wolftalk, Jul 24, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    injectors not squirting unless airflow moves the control plunger in the metering head is right. When the plunger is at it's rest position, it cuts off flow to the injectors. You should be able to run the pump all day with the engine off and not fill the intake with fuel.

the schematic, however, says that the fuel pump should only run in two situations:
    1] airflow switch is open, which happens when air is being sucked into the intake...or someone unplugs the switch
    2] the ignition key is in the cranking position.

having said that, I seem to recall that my old girlfriends '80 308 fuel pump is powered with the key in the run position. That implies at least one of the following:
    1] the airflow switch is effectively stuck open
    2] the "engine start" relay is not powering when it should. This relay is called all sorts of things in later cars.
    3] wire/connector problem
    4] I can't read a schematic
    5] ferrari can't assemble it like they designed it

I'll have to check next time I'm over at her place.

attached is a schem chunk from 1981. When there is airflow, the fuel pump relay is powered via the yellow circuit. No airflow, and the engine start relay closes, so fuel pump relay power has to come from the red circuit from the ignition switch.

the yellow circuit would also need to be +12V when cranking to power the engine start relay. The 328, modial and mondial qv have a similar circuit.

the airflow switch is really protecting against a fuel line rupture. If that happens, the engine should die from fuel starvation, and the airflow switch would indirectly cut off the fuel pump. If you happened to be cranking when the fuel line pops, you're screwed. The pump will still be running, and if your exhaust is hot, you may have redefined the term "portable grill".

testing can be done without a meter. Figure out what the engine start relay is called in your car. When you turn the key to the run position, it should click closed, but the fuel pump/relay shouldn't run/close. Disconnect the blue airflow switch plug on top of the fuel distributor, engine start relay opens, fuel pump relay closes, fuel pump runs forever.

cranking is a bit trickier, but you are looking for the fuel pump relay to close when cranking. If you crank enough to get some airflow, the engine start relay might chatter as the airflow switch opens/closes, but in either position the fuel pump relay should be powered. Probably easier to verify with meter.

If you have to excessively crank to get started, the red circuit and cold start injector fuse is a good place to check.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    on the mondial wiring diagram, there is a key activated relay that signals the bridge relay to start the pump. in other words on the first key stop the pump is on, then on the cranking stop the pump is bridged to stay on. on the distribution block there is a circut/sensor that will cut power to the pump in the event of a roll over.

but as we know ferrari electronics are as reliable as lucas, okay they don't leak oil as bad ;) bosch made the FI and ferrari installed it. germans and itailans working together.

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Frequency valve? Not sure. I don't hear anything on mine.

Birdman

12. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    frequency valve,
    in abs cars, the abs pump will come on initially as well

13. wolftalk

wolftalk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    san franciso area
    Full Name:
    phil
    interesting...which mondial is that?

oddly, I had to pop over to the ex's to look at a problem with one of her cars today, so I checked the 308. In this case, her pump is running with the key in the run position because of a bad wire between the engine start relay and the airflow switch on the fuel distributor. In the above schematic, the purple wire.
    It's never grounding, so the engine start relay never closes.