Mondial electrical system thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Mondial electrical system thread

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by snj5, Dec 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Mike, Peter stated... "When ignition is on and all lights are on i pull the stalk back but nothing happens at all, no matter what position the stalk is in."

But, in the reference/manual you used, can you check the light switch for the operation of the fog lights? I looked at the U.S. owners manuals for the 86 and 88 (OP has an 87 UK)... there's no mention/figure that shows the fog lights ("where mandatory").

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #77 soucorp, May 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You can download the 87 3.2 manual here but as I understand it, the UK version should work the same as US. If its not working per manual, then it needs tidying up? The Fog lights and daylight flashing seems to be one of the same, its the long lens label A above. http://www.ferraridatabase.com/The_Downloads/The%20Documents/Owners%20Manual%20Mondial%203.2%201987.pdf
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Cool, guess I'd forgotten about the fog light switch. After two Mondials and 10 years of ownership I should have known better.

4. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No worries Wade, glad I can help out, half the time I get lucky and get things right! ;)

5. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi guys, thanks very much for all your responses. So amazing!

The diagram shown is correct for my UK 3.2 that was posted by Soucorp (thank you), therefore by having the optional foglights as shown on the lense diagram in the same place as the daylight flashers then where are the daylight flashers? The fog lights work fine so i know the bulb is ok. Do they share the same bulb? Could it be a faulty daylight flasher relay? The optional foglight switch on the dashboard as shown on those diagrams is exactly what i have.

Surely by having the optional fog lights they would not have deleted the daylight flashers?

I will post photos this weekend, I’ve only had it 3 days!

Thanks again everyone!

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hello Peter,

Here are some things to note as I have tested these on my 88 3.2:

1) lights off, press lever towards me, the long lens light up, I get a foglight indicator on dash
    2) lights on, press lever towards me, the hi-beam light comes on and I get hi-beam indicator in blue
    3) with parking lights on, I can press the fog light switch to illuminate the long lens as fog lights

Hope this helps, but it sounds like yours maybe not be connected properly.

7. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hi Peter

When I got my 3.2, the glove box was intermittent also, but switch was fine. I found that sometimes resistance caused the plunger inside the glove box not to work. By applying a little pressure to the glove box lid (pushing it further in, same as closing it) the plunger released the door, so nothing was really wrong. Try this and see if this is all that is needed.

Regards,
    Brian

8. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi all,
    Well i finally did get to the bottom of the glovebox ordeal and hopefully this may help others in the future.
    Brian mentioned it could be just a sticky catch and indeed it was! I swiped a credit card along the opening and at the same time pressed the glovebox switch and like magic it finally opened. It was a sticky solenoid rod that releases the catch. Just some lubricant and all is fine.
    Its the cheapest credit card swipe without spending money:)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

9. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Soucorp,
    Hope all is well. Thanks for your reply, I tried as you suggested and still the lights will not flash. Even with engine running and the light stalk at the very top, middle or bottom position and also tried with the light switch turned so the lights were on at all three stages they still wont flash.
    The light in the long lense below the indicator works because it is the fog light as mentioned previously, basically the foglight and daylight flashers share the same housing. Is there more than 1 bulb in there?

Just to confirm, when you use yours without the lights turned on does the daylight flash light come on at the long lense below the indicator and when the lights are on and they pop up the daylight flash is one of the round lights? Therefor if I read correctly then the daylight flashers activate on two separate lights depending if they are popped up or not.

In this case could it be the flasher relay perhaps?

Many thanks.

Peter

10. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The 3.2 Mondial wiring diagram book only shows 1 filament for both (i.e., if the fog lights are "on", they will not flash).

Their operation is very similar to Sou's US description except, when only the parking lights are "on", it's the high beams that should flash, because of your DIM-DIP system. Is your DIM-DIP system working -- i.e., with only the parking lights "on" and the stalk in the upper position, do your low beam bulbs "glow" a little bit? (This is sort of a side issue, but if you really have a UK spec version and the DIM-DIP stuff isn't working that might be a sign that someone made some modifications.)

Do your emergency flashers and/or current socket work? If not, check the fuse -- called fuse #4 in the 474/87 OM and fuse #5 in the 3.2 Mondial wiring diagram book (but it is the same physical location).

11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Steve, that's interesting.

The only time my fog lights come on is when I use the flash-to-pass feature.

The only time the fog light indicator (on the dash) lights up after pressing the fog light switch is when the headlight pods are up; stalk position doesn't matter. However, when the fog light indicator is lit... the fog lights are off.

Guess I've got some troubleshooting to do...

Or rewire because I would like to use my fog lights as Daytime Running Lights (with headlight pods down). Lately I've been driving with my headlights on, day and night, because I am tired of people pulling out in front of me. That goes for my daily driver as well.

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, that definitely sounds like something's not working correctly. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the US version 3.2 Mondial wiring diagram book to see if there are some simple checks you could make to investigate.

I will say that F doesn't do a very good job of describing how the fog lights/flashing lights should work (or not work ;)). For example, on Peter's UK version 3.2 Mondial:

1. If you have the fog lights "on" and the parking lights "off" = nothing flashes when you pull back on the stalk because the fog lights are already "on";

2. Likewise, if you have the high beams "on" = nothing flashes when you pull the stalk back because the high beams are already "on".

Without providing a dedicated set of "daylight flashing only" bulbs, I can appreciate that it may not be easy/possible to cover all combinations so that something always flashes, but seems a little misleading to me have "pull lever towards steering wheel for daylight flashing" in the OM without describing that flashing may, or may not, occur depending on what's "on" or "off" -- guess they thought they had that covered by using the word "daylight" ;)

13. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    #88 350HPMondial, May 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wade,

Have you done this...?

Edwardo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. peacefulwarrior

Aug 2, 2012
    Hello,

I have a '85 Mondial (US version) and the MD inspector is telling me that since i have fog lights they have to work. So far nothing I have tried will get them to turn on. When I press the fog light button the light below it does not light. The fuse appears to be correctly working #21 becuase I do have an illumated dashboard and license plate light (on same circuit). I believe I have correctly identified the right relay "O" for External Lights 3rd from right on top row. When I pull out this relay there is no power on pin 30 which I believe should have power.

Unfortuantly I do not have a wiring diagram so I don't know how to diagnoise this from here but would very much appreacate any help. I just got the Mondial and so far I love it!

Thanks!

Peter

15. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    #90 RichardAguinsky, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
    I owned my Mondial for 5 years and could never get the foglights to turn on. If I press the foglight switch, nothing happens. With the parking lights on, a green light goes on in the insturment panel, no fog light. Toggle the high/low beam, no foglights. No matter what I do, the foglights do not turn on. I checked all fuses, they are fine. Can both bulbs be burnt or am I missing something in the operation?

Thanks!!

1984 Mondial Cab, US version. California.

16. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I believe there are 2 versions for the fog lights. Those for the US and those for the Euro cars. The Euro cars can only use the fog lights for flashing...not permanent. By pulling the light rod toward to you, you can activate the flashing.

Guido

17. RichardAguinsky

RichardAguinsky Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2007
    Palo Alto, Californi
    Full Name:
    Richard Aguinsky
    Hi Guido,

My light rod only goes up and down. I tried pulling towards me and it is hard, maybe it is stuck?

18. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Richard,
    Pulling toward to you gives on my car the flashing mode. Yes its hard to pull, and its flashes only when close to the steering wheel. So maybe there is corosion on your switch.

Guido

19. peacefulwarrior

Aug 2, 2012
    Hi!

I'm loving my '85 Mondia but it is cold here in Maryland and the heater fan just stopped working. I've checked all of the fuses and I've read the posts where a likely culpret is where the wire comes into the fusebox but since I don't have a wiring diagram I don't know which wire to check so... I very much appreciate help with two things...

1) which wire should I inspect on the fuse panel?

2) How do I get to the fan? (do you have to access it from inside the front boot or from under the dash and if under the dash how do I get to it??

3) I pulled off the front vent and I read that I should see the vairable transistor inside there somewhere but don't see it either.

Help!!

Thanks!

Peter

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Go to:

www.ferraridatabase.com
    The Downloads
    Other Manuals

and download either Wiring Diagrams Mondial QV 1984 US Version (1985 is the same as 1984) or Wiring Diagrams Mondial QV Euro Version (depending on which version Mondial QV you have).

Is your symptom "no cabin fan at any speed" or "only maximum cabin fan speed works"?

21. peacefulwarrior

Aug 2, 2012
    Thanks for the location for the manual. My sympton is no fan at any speed.

22. peacefulwarrior

Aug 2, 2012
    Hello,

The pointer to the wiring diagam helped a great deal. Presumably the heater fan is the same thing as the AC Condenser fan correct? Anyway, the fuse and the relay for the condensor fan are fine ( I replaced the relay just to be sure). I have not been able to decode the wiring diagram other than the wire colors (specifically i don't understand how the connectors map into the fuse panel).

I do know that it is a loose connetion becuase when I was driving it several days ago it started to work and then stopped again 10 minutes later.

I would love some help with the actual location of the fan (and wires to it) and how best to access/disassemble it. I'm going to take some pic's of the under dashboard config and see if maybe someone can tell me what I'm seeing there.

Thanks!

Peter

23. F-car

F-car Karting

Feb 25, 2009
    Ipoh, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    CK
    #98 F-car, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
    This is VERY useful. Many thanks!!

I bought my first Ferrari (M3.2) this week with engine start issue. Always needed multiple cranks to get the engine running. I found burn out at the white vertical connector in the fuse box. After replacing the pin connectors, now all I need is just ONE crank to start the V8!!!! Hope this is a permanent fix..

24. enzo52

enzo52 Karting

Aug 14, 2008
    France, Paris
    Full Name:
    Depensadie Seraphin
    hi, for some years now, a F-chat member Guido, also from Belgium, is producing NEW fuseboxes in very small numbers. Those boxes can fit :
    - Mondial 8, QV, 3.2 and t,
    - 400 series,
    - 512 TR and Testarossa
    - and even for F40 I think.
    There are several Ferraristi that installed Guidos box and they are enthusiastic about it.

Enzo52

25. sylba

sylba Rookie

Jan 31, 2014
    FRANCE
    Full Name:
    STOCKLE Raphaël
    Hello,
    Is it possible to buy such a white connector? Where could I find one?
    The mine is burnt like on the first picture...
    Do you know, if the fuseboxes are the same for all Mondials? I own a 3.2

Many thanks for your answers.

sylba