Mondial electrical system thread | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mondial electrical system thread

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by snj5, Dec 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I've talked to Daniel and ordered a connector/pin kit. I'll do some comparisons of Domestic/Japanese connectors, hopefully with pictures, and maybe we can find a sulution. I'll then pass the info on to Daniel who will see about trying to stock the pieces as an upgrade kit.

More in a week or so

2. Sheldon Rubin

Sheldon Rubin Rookie

Jul 10, 2006
    I recently experienced sarting problems on my 83 Mondial QV. The starter would crank but the voltage at the twin Marelli Electronic Ignition Amplifiers was insufficient to make a spark. The cause turned out to be a chronically weak battery caused by inadequate charging voltage from the stock Bosch 80A Alternator. The problem always disappeared after I charged up the battery overnight. It also went away after a long highway drive.

So I measured the charging voltage through the cigarette lighter socket during driving and found that it was always below the desired range, which should be 13.8 to 14.2 volts. It was only around 13.3 volts and maybe a little higher when the battery was just fully charged overnight. I checked the cut-off switch, the connections at the Alternator, and some but not all of the under-chassis electrical connections. Voltage drops amounted to maybe a few tenths of a volt. I suspect that the problem is with the Integrated Regulator & Brush Module located on the back of the Alternator. It just might be worn brushes. If not, I have heard that there are drop-in replacements for this Regulator Module that will deliver 14 volts as it should be. It may be possible to replace this Module without removing the Alternator if the car is placed on a lift. Has anyone tried this?

3. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#53 Ricambi America, Oct 20, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Rival

Rival Formula Junior

May 12, 2005
    Misipi
    By the way, Daniel, great "presentation" in your photos. It's nice to see someone take pride in the way even car parts are presented........I think it reflects an effort to be a step above the others

5. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    Do you have the male side that goes on the circuit board?

6. Shark49

Shark49 Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2005
    Boone, NC
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    WOW. that looks like my pin connector but mines burned out at the a/c fan pin. Daniel, you never answered me if you had this connector but I guess you do. Can you PM me the specifics please?

7. rfa123c

rfa123c Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I'm glad I found this forum. You see I've found a really really cheap 1985 Mondial from an old man that just wanted to get rid of it, due to sentimental reasons, the car brings him memories that he would rather forget. Of course I have not hesitated one second and bought the car right away, after all, I have never had a Ferrari and as all, have been dreaming about it since I was around 6 Years old.
    The problem is, and I knew this all along, the car won't start. The starter motor won't even turn, replacing the battery, which would be the obvious problem, does not solve in any way the malfunction.
    Do you think I need a new starter motor or may it be somekind of connection/solinoid problem?
    I understand that, in spite of the famous electrical problems, like the fuel pump fuse and others, this is one of the most reliable Ferraris one could get. Is this accurate?
    Many thanks :)

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    When they are fettled, the Mondial is one of the most reliable and usable classic Ferraris, although with the some time electrical gremlins.
    As to your starter problem, and assuming the engine can turn:

Would check and clean the ground at the battery
    Check voltage and clean connections at starter (a possible weak point is the long wire that goes from the starter switch to the battery).
    If the voltage is good at the starter and still no start, then would swap/rebuild the starter solenoid (after trying hitting it with a spanner to loosen it up first if it is gummed up inside).

As usual, if the cam belts have not been changed in a couple of years or it is uncertain, would do this right away as the priority. Broken cam belts will trash the engine.

Check this thread, especially post 19:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131116

Good luck and have fun!

9. DougS026

DougS026 Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Doug S
    #59 DougS026, Jan 14, 2007
    Here is the male side we are looking for in order finish the Mondial fuse box replacement project. Any help in locating this is appriciated!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Upgrading Mondial Alternators!!!

While not one to usually reference off-board thread, there is a great discussion and 'How-to' in the technical section on the -Talk website on upgrading Mondial alternators to a 120 Amp Delco alternator as well as the advantages of going to a 3 wire system over the current one wire system.

While we are all still patiently waiting for the fusebox solution, I really think this 3-wire thing makes a lot of sense for our cars, is easy, relatively inexpensive, and has a lot of promise.

11. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I need to ground my Electromotive Xdi on the engine. Where is the best point??. I was thinking on a cam cover bolt. Or can it be fitted anywhere on the engine. Thanks

12. CFCARRIAGE

CFCARRIAGE Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2006
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ANyone got more fuse block info to add to the thread?

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
  14. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    #64 jeffQV, May 17, 2010
    I need one of these badly! Did anyone come up with stronger connectors though?

15. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    The reliability world insists on gold plating.

Unless the connectors come GOLD PLATED their life is limited to 3-5 years or less.

16. Stan Camacho

Stan Camacho Rookie

Nov 9, 2010
    Winnipeg MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Stan C
    Hi if someone knows how to fix this issue please let me know what to do, the headlights don't popup or turn on when I turn the knob on nothing happens not even the dash lights when I turn the key on the engine lights lights go on then off normal, interior top light I can turne it on, is the switch, the battery? the fuses look fine relays not sure.

17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    You might find your answer here: Instructions for fixing a headlight switch

BTW, welcome to FerrariChat!

18. Stan Camacho

Stan Camacho Rookie

Nov 9, 2010
    Winnipeg MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Stan C
    You guys are the best the instructions were very good and it fixed the issue thanks again.

19. Stan Camacho

Stan Camacho Rookie

Nov 9, 2010
    Winnipeg MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Stan C
    The belt for the Mondial 8 is hard to get in Winnipeg Canada does anyone knows if there is a replacement aftermarket belt that can be used. Also how does one installs it without tensioner tool?

20. Stan Camacho

Stan Camacho Rookie

Nov 9, 2010
    Winnipeg MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Stan C
    What oil can I use on my Ferrari Mondial 8 3L (I bought 5W 40 Diesel syntetic) but I'm not sure if it's going to give any issues what other brands and blends can I use it if the one I have doesn't work, also the air filter any after market brands (stores around me are Canadian Tire, parts souce, piston ring, Napa) thanks in advance for any kind of help

21. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Everyone, I am new to this as having just purchased a 1987 3.2 Mondial, UK spec. I have discovered that the daylight flashers do not work. The handbook says they are the long lense below the indicator but they are actually the front fog lights which the handbook says are optional. Question is if i have the optional fog lights where the daylight flashers should be then where are the daylight flashers? When ignition is on and all lights are on i pull the stalk back but nothing happens at all, no matter what position the stalk is in.
    Secondly, the dreaded glove box will not open. Fuse is fine, relay must be fine as it shares other functions that are working ok. Is it a solenoid, something easy?

All responses are greatly appreciated.

Peter

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Welcome to FerrariChat and congratulations on purchasing your Mondial.

Sorry that I can't answer about your fog lights as I've never seen a UK car or it's owners manual.

However, regarding the glovebox you may find a solution here:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366920

23. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    I am very surprised to hear that the fog lights were an option. To make a long story as short as possible, I imported a Mondial T from the US into Switzerland and had trouble with the importation because of a broken fog light glass. Need less to say the fog lights are as scarce as hens teeth and I asked the importation inspectors if I could just eliminate the fog lights and they said that Ferrari told them that they were NOT an option. More incongruous (read crazy) info concerning our cars! Good luck and welcome to Ferrarichat. It is priceless.

24. Dizengoff

Dizengoff Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Chicago
    I know this post is at least 2 years old, but I gotta voice my thoughts on this. It's not an issue of what metal the connectors are plated with, it's whether BOTH connectors are plated with the same metal. Dissimilar metals will have a high rate of corrosion when they make contact with each other due to their galvanic properties (aka galvanic corrosion). IF the metals must be dissimilar, their anodic differences shouldn't exceed 0.25V on the Anodic Index. Gold is nice for its conductivity, but if you have one gold connector and one that's not gold, you will experience a very short lifespan of reliable connectivity.

Sorry for the blurb; I work in a technical field, and this is my 2 cents on the subject. Google "galvanic corrosion" for more info.

25. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #75 soucorp, May 22, 2012
    Welcome Peter, this really should be a new thread but to answer your question on the daylight/fog light, its illustration A. To activate the daylight flasher, just press/pull the light lever towards you. At least that's how my 88 works.