Mondial Carbon Fiber boot lid | FerrariChat

Mondial Carbon Fiber boot lid

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by racespecferrari, Feb 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I can get a Carbon Fiber boot lid for a Mondial coupe for £350, this price is for a one off, and this is using mine as a template, so it won't be for the cab, I have a Qv so I'm not sure if it will fit a 'T' as I know there are several variations on the body, obviously if there is enough interest I can get the price down, if I hear from F-chatters then I can contact the manufacturer and see how much we can get them down to, they will be manufactured in the Uk, so if there is US interest I don't know what shipping would be due to the size

2. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Are you aware of the weight differential between the two ? The standard boot lid doesn't feel too heavy in my view.

3. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Just out of curiosity, how much would painting it cost? Why spend a ton of money making a Mondial lighter by an insignificant amount anyway?

Most of us would make our cars lighter with with just a good diet.

Ken

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Given the CF prices for 308 parts I'd say that is a bargain and if I had a Mondial I'd go for it.

A similar piece can be had for the 308, but its price is probably 3 to 4 times yours.

5. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

I think the reason I was quoted so cheap was the fact that it is very basic with just the strengthener part inside to make, it is basically flat with a two stage bend/kink at the back edge

6. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    It will obviously be a lot lighter, however as you say the original isn't too heavy in the first place, I haven't physically removed mine yet to weigh it exactly, I am stripping weight all over which is why I am intending to go down this route

7. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Hi Ken
    It will obviously be a lot lighter than the original, however the original isn't too heavy in the first place, I haven't physically removed mine yet to weigh it exactly, I am stripping weight all over which is why I am intending to go down this route, with regards to painting it would depend on your local paint shop for the price and to get an exact colour match with fading over time etc..

8. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    the trunk panel on the mondial, for it's size if very light in teh OEM trim...couldn't imagine saving that much weight,

9. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    On my car I am trying to lose as much weight as possible

I was just seeing if I had any bites, obviously the more I ordered the price would come down considerably

10. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I'd sure think about it if you were doing the bumpers.
    I will also be very interested as you go through the car to find where the big pockets of removable weight are - could be a lesson for us all.

Good luck!

11. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    The doors, bumpers and interior trim...........if you wanted to get really serious, Carbon doors, carbon bumpers, perspex instead of glass,remove all the solenoid's that open the various hatches, delete the boot (trunk) replacing with bonded in carbon box other than that there really isnt that much to strip out

Even stripped right down to a rolling empty chassis still a fairly heavy car (especialy if you need to push it UP to get it into your garage :D)

12. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Take out the spare, rip out the carpets, take out the window motors, speakers, radio and assorted gear, passenger seat, back seats, top, strip the paint, get a gel battery, remove brake boosters, sun visors...when you're done what do you have?

A lighter 2+2 that can't do anything that is was designed for which is to be a cool way to take 4 people around town or on highway trips. This isn't a track car after all, so a few pounds isn't going to change the character of the car in a meaningful way.

Ken

13. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Hi Andrew, I'm not sure exactly what will be the total kg removed, but I am doing the following:

Adding:
    2 x carbon buckets + race harnesses
    Carbon Door Cards
    Carbon F1 wing Mirrors
    Carbon Fibre Dash With Stack Datalogger
    Perspex door Windows with sliders (+ Rear Quarters & Rear curved Screen at later date)
    Carbon Steering wheel (only because I got this so cheap (250grammes)

Removing:
    dash & surround
    All Seats & trim
    All seat Belts
    Door Cards
    centre Console
    Window Motors
    Door Glass
    Spare wheel
    Anything I don't need

To Do:
    Lightweight Bumpers & Doors, Possibly wings & Bonnet
    I intend to learn Fibreglass moulding

I'm hoping to start with an approx 80Kg reduction, I am weighing parts as I remove them, and obviously weigh parts as I add them, the seats weigh quite a lot (I guess around 15Kgs each) but the carbon buckets only weigh 5kg, I know a lot of people where I can source carbon fibre ex race parts that can easily be modified

14. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Depending on the driver they still perform well on the track, have you ever taken a Mondial on a trackday (more fun than a europa!), also I know I can shed quite a lot of weight, this is my first exercise before I start on the engine

I love Ferrari's for their pedigree not for their cool/pose value, If I want to be cool I jump in the yellow 355gts, and I don't have to have my screaming kids in the back!

15. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Thanks Russ, I'm glad to see a positive comment about my project, the reason I decided to do this is that the market has fallen flat here in the Uk and these change hands so cheap now.

I am really busy at the moment and probably won't have it done for at least 6 months, but I am taking photos of all that I do, also I am keeping a record of all the weight that gets removed or added, these are my first jobs, when this is done I will post for all to see my triumphs and tribulations.

In a year or so finances pending I will move onto the engine, hopefully looking down the Twin turbo route

16. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    I'll keep you updated as to how were getting on with the moulds, got a delivery today of some of the bits we need ( resin, glass fibre/carbo/kevlar cloth and tape etc, still waiting for some of the vacum moulding stuff)

Like yourself this is the first time we've made bits out of composite's, have been reading up on the process's so shouldnt be to difficult to get the basics

17. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Thats great, I would defo be interested in bumpers and possibly doors, saves me learning to fibreglass & mould making!!, i'm just glad to see someone else is like minded and doing what they want.

Do you have any guesstimate prices of the bumpers etc...

18. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Don't forget to build a big enough oven...

19. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Another alternative:
    It will be possible in about 6 months to build my Mondial Z completely in carbon, a big weight saving. The shell can be stiffened with aluminium honeycomb panels and a roll cage fitted to the chassis before bonding the two together.

20. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

Hi, I've followed the progress of your project with great interest.

just out of curiosity how hard was it to remove your dash

21. Zertec

Zertec Formula 3

Oct 5, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clive Reed
    Really very easy. I can't remember the complete story but the 2 "where are they?" bolts are the ones that go through the bulkhead from the front boot at either side of the windscreen base. No special tools needed at all.

22. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    The engine cover on my 3.2 Mondial cabriolet is certainly a hefty chunk 'o metal. Would love to see one of these in carbon for a reasonable cost as there is likely a significant weight savings to be had, and, relatively high up in the car's CG.

The trunk/boot lid doesn't seem too heavy to me in stock form so I'm not so sure there's a sizable weight saving to be had here.

How do you plan to evacuate the air and excess resin from the weave and minimize the resin to fiber percentage? Vacuum bagging is used by the better shops along with curing in an oven as you probably know.

I'm sure everyone would love to see some pics if you can share as the project progresses.

23. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea

If you look at Zertecs thread with his Mondial Z he is making the boot lid and the engine cover as one (like on a 308), so it might be possible to have the whole thing fabricated as one

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33819

I don't do carbon fibre myself and will pay someone to do it, I was thinking of learning fibreglass to do the doors/wings etc...

24. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Already taken care of........have located an old electric pottery kiln! not exactly the most stylish or high tech of ovens but hopefully enough

25. Paul348

Paul348 Rookie

Jun 21, 2005
    upstate New York
    Full Name:
    Paul Spurgas
    I do a lot of carbon fiber work. The best way to achieve an optimal ratio is to use a vacuum resin infusion technique. Vinyl ester resin is better than epoxy for higher engine temps. A hood is actually fairly involved. These have to be made with an inner stiffener structure bonded to the outer hood. The instillation of metal latches etc. requires special bonding resins. Best of luc and look forward to some pics.