Mondial battery died | FerrariChat

Mondial battery died

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by FasterIsBetter, Apr 5, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I suspected for a while that the battery was going. Today it gave up the ghost. I took the old one out and ran over to Sears and picked up a DieHard, same size and CCA as the old one. Although they did not list a battery for the car, I checked the catagories and cranking amps, matched it up, it was the same size, so I got it. Made a big difference. The car starts right up like it was new! The windows even work better. Hopefully, it will hold up well. I've always had good luck with the DieHards.

Anyone see a problem with using a Sears DieHard in an '84 Mondial QV?

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Nope. Mine came from Autozone...

3. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Karting

Apr 25, 2004
    Englewood, NJ
    Full Name:
    Mr Bill
    No worries... with very rare exceptions, a battery be a battery. Exceptions would be certain BMWs with batteries under the rear seat (Then you get the one from AutoZone that fits in there but isn't too tall) and Miatas I am told use some weird battery.

F-Car batteries require extra effort since AutoZone or Sears rarely does the free install for you on F-cars... drag the old one in and find one that is the same size with a lot of CCA that's on the $59 rack :)

4. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Wise,

Exactly what I did. Matched the size/catagory. The old battery was 850 CCA, the new one 875 CCA. The car fires up beautifully now. I was having all kinds of problems with non-start, etc. I'm now convinced that it was the battery all along. The biggest problem of changing the battery was removing that stupid fiberglass filler piece above the battery where the washer bottle sits, and even worse, getting it back in place. The rest, no biggie.

Regards,
    Steve

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The nice thing about Sears is that they won't give you ANY crap about swapping it no matter how many times you wander in with it. I had a problem with a headlight relay in my Alfa (LOOOONG story) but I could not figure it out. I couldn't keep a battery longer then a week. I would carry it back, they would test it and give me a new one everytime. Then I left the dome light on in the Ferrari for a week or something AND the Alfa died again. I was back with 2 batteries including my 4th or 5th from the Alfa. They just gave me two new ones again. All this over a period of about six months. I'll never go anywhere else. Last trip in I upgraded to the Optimas.

And yes, the Alfa problem has now been fixed. I shouldn't have to go back for a while now.

6. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Dr. Tommy,
    I think you need a charger! It's a lot easier than taking the battry back every time it's dead! ;)

Birdman