Mondial 8 Daily driver advice, judge4? Dino 208? | FerrariChat

Mondial 8 Daily driver advice, judge4? Dino 208?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Darkhorse575, May 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Darkhorse575

Darkhorse575 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    I've done all my pros and cons. I am quite mechanically inclined with a ton of tools in the garage and already practice preventative and routine maintenance on my current car. We are a two car family and my car is often known to sit for 2 or 3 days driven about 100 miles a week. I'm soo close to pulling the trigger on one a few prospects. Given a positive PPI and a good price am I a total loon to expect our "slow-&-poow" performer to be reliable?

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    With plenty of preventative maintenance there's no reason to expect an 8 to be anything other than reliable....just make sure the electrics are up to scratch

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The 308/328 series uses many of the same mechanical/electrical components, and in general the 3.2 litre cars seem to have fewer electrical problems due to design improvements to items like the ignition, fuse block, and so on. As Andrew said, you'll want to keep on top of these.

Poor performance aside, if I were going to use an older Ferrari as a daily driver (not something I would do), I might go for one of the later cars (QV or ideally a 3.2).

More generally, sometimes your car may be down for a few days to a week because you're waiting for parts. It's just part of the deal. Not sure how that would affect you and the family... in my case it just means I drive the Jeep for week.

4. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    With no disrespect to Mondy 8 owners, this is a car I just don't get. It is very poor performing, ugly and not well built. If you want a Mondial, and can afford it, get a 3.2 which is a much better car in every way. Barring that, go for a QV coupe which is significantly improved. If you are stuck around 20K+/-, I would hunt for a 308 GT4 which is much better performing and better looking. Plus, if you like to tinker and have skills, you will enjoy working on it more.

Dave

5. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I can't compare the performances of the two, as I've never driven a Mondi of any variety, but I will say that the 308GT4 deserves consideration if you are in the 20k range, like Dave suggested. It's a fantastic driver. You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who's been around Ferraris for a long time that will tell you otherwise.

6. Darkhorse575

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Thanks guys. One of my concerns re: a carbed GT4 vs. an injected 8 are the strict emission laws here in CA. I know that some cars from out of state may need new cats or piston rings (later being a deal breaker) just to pass a smog test. Am I right in assuming an injected car would have an easier time passing a smog test than a carb car?

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Yes an injected car will have a much easier time passing emissions. I have a carb 308 and a Mondial 8. I also have a few QVs. I maybe in the minority here but I think the Mondial 8 is a great car. I don't think the build quality is bad at all compared to other Fcars of the same era. The Mondial was more $$$ new than the 308. The 8 is easy to use as a daily driver. Plus, the visibility is much better than in the 308. The seat position makes it easier to use for running around. I prefer the 8s since their climate control is fairly simple(for repairing purposes) plus they have a manual blend door operation. I have had/driven 2V inj. cars and my Mondial 8 isn't lacking in the power department. I honestly haven't noticed it being slower than 2V 308s at all.
    Plus on the Mondial the E-brake can actually hold the car when applied.

I am not saying you can't use a carb 308 or GT4 everyday as I have and it can be done. However, the FI makes it much easier to use on a daily basis.

The handling on the Mondial is great once you upgrade to 348 wheels and tires.

Anyway, just thought this might help you on your decision. Let us know what you decide.

8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    It's a trade-off... My GT4 got new cats from the previous owner just prior to smogging, and it passed with flying colors. Carbed cars, in general, are more finnicky than FI cars, but if you can handle it, it's well worth it in the end. The sound and the absolutely raw experience of running a carbed Ferrari up to its redline is worth the price of admission.

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    depends on the tune, a mondi 8 uses the early CIS K-jet with no feedback. the cats can get burned up if not in proper tune becouse the k-jet does not have an O2 sensor. once properly tuned they can pass, but it requires a shop knowing what they are doing. mine took a few tries, but the PO's shop wasn't all that knowledgeable on the CIS.

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't know about California, but in many states you can get classic car plates for 25 year old cars and generally looser emissions regs. Before passing on GT4's becuase of carbs, talk to shops in your area and get the straight dope. Ferrari didn't use cats on their cars until 1978. Most GT4's were sold 75-77.

Dave

11. Darkhorse575

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Manual blend door operation? What is that?

12. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I like 308GT4 idea as well. The car has a nice stance to it, and it's closer to being a classic but without the heavy price tag. (The Top Gear video someone posted here really warmed me up to them...)

I've seen the Mondial 8 clocked 0-60 at just under 10 seconds, which is a tad slower than my Jeep. I'm sure it's nice to drive, but given that the 3.2's just hold their own in the modern auto population I'd probably pass on an 8.

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    hot/cold slider on dash. basicly it's a valve that is opened to allow or restrict the amount of engine coolant flow to the heater core. you can accutually turn on the A/C and heat at the same time. it's funny but it's so basic it works in my opnion better than any digital one i ever owend. the A8 has a fancy digital thermostat cabin controled climate, but dang if i'm not constantly adjusting it. the slider gets moved once at thats it.

14. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Smog testing in CA is dependant on the county in which you live. There *used* to be a rollilng 25-year SMOG exemption, but that was done away with by our Governator. Now, 1975 is the cutoff year for SMOG exemption, regardless of today's date. It was 1975 last year, and it'll be 1975 next year. Seeing that Darkhorse lives in L.A., he definitely has to SMOG. Most populated counties do...it's only the ones up in the mountains or in the middle o' nowhere that don't.

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    So, head for the hills! (Also they have sub-seven figure housing up there, rumor has it.)

16. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    You're telling me, buddy! Unfortunately, work requires I be able to respond "within 30 minutes", so that's not an option. Besides, if it *were*, wifey wants to live near the coast before the mountains. She's half-fish.

17. Darkhorse575

Mar 20, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Just hit a mother's day home run so a father's day F-car is looking like a lock. I couldn't have done it without brunch by the beach. So as for emissions regs in the hills? I'd like to live in Hisperia or Redlands but its just too far from what I consider civilization.

18. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    So, , if I buy a 1975 308 GT4, , I don't have to smog it....? Not even one time...?

(I can't get a straight answere from them,,,The DMV is so crappy around here, ,must be our tax dollars at work.)

Maybe I need to call the CARB.

19. rickjaffe

rickjaffe Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2005
    houston
    Full Name:
    richard jaffe
    I bought a 75 308 GT4 from a guy in california last year, and my understanding was that it was exempt from any smog testing because of its age.

I use my car as a partial daily driver, by that I mean, multiple short trips per day, a few days a week. It's a great car, most fun car I have. no problem parking, a/c is alittle weak. Once it's sorted out, don't see why you couldn't use a carb car like the GT4 as a daily driver.
    haven't driven an 8 but to me the GT4 looks alot better, and folks on this site say the GT4 handles the best of all the 308's. All I can say is that it's alot more fun to drive than my mid-year corvette (but it's not as fast, of course).
    I've seen a few mondials, and for my money, they just don't look as good as the GT4, but style is obviously a matter of opinion.

20. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Correct...any car 1975 and older does not have to meet SMOG requirements in the state of California.

Here's my reference (first paragraph):

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2535

21. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Aaron,,

Thanks...! Now that's what I call information.....
    So now , , being that i am stuck in CA, , , (again) I must decide between a 1975 308 Gt4 smag free or a 1983 Mondial Qv Coup smog,,,,, maybe... (Eventually, I want to install a haltech e6x,m 14.5:1 pistons and run E85, ,and skirt this smog nightmare,, . . but, first I need to smog that CIS to get a title.)

mmMMmmmmm...... ;)

I am almost ready to buy, , money is in the bank. I hate Californias' smog laws,,,,,, , but the roads are awsome here around Morro Bay

22. johng

johng Formula 3

Oct 23, 2004
    northern va
    Full Name:
    john g
    i don't think you should underestimate the performance disparity between the mondial 8 and quicker mondials. i have a carbed and catted 308, and lemme tell ya, it's slow. fun to look at but not terribly fun to drive. if you can stretch, go for a QV. regrettably, you simply can't change the muffler or take the cats off to boost performance significantly. there is currently a QV mondial on ferrariads.com with an asking of 24.5K, not too far from 20K.

john

23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No matter how you looke at the 308 GT4 it is still a FERRARI

24. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I have never driven a M8 but our Mondial QV is plenty peppy enough, and rides great. It likes to go fast. It actually feels more planted at 100 than at 60. It handles great, sticks to the road. It also has a USEABLE back seat, which is not something one can say about the GT4. No doubt, I think the GT4 is a better looking (in a funky way) car than the Mondial, but the Mondial has an elegance about it that the GT4 lacks. Also, check out the Mondial in person before you pass judgement on looks. They look much better in person than in pictures. They are much smaller than you think judging from pics. The FI makes the Mondial extremely easy to start and run, and it acts like a modern car in that regard. The carb cars sound awesome and are fun to rev, but they are not modern in any respect. They make stinky exhaust fumes, the intake smells like gas, they require a little technique to cold start, etc. Fun for a sports car, not the best daily driver in my opinion.

I considered the Mondial as a daily driver for a while, but decided that a nice reliable little jap car is better as a car to beat in the rain, and save the Ferrari for the sunny days. I drive the mondial every day from May to December as long as its not raining/snowing. IN bad weather, she stays in the garage and I drive the Toyota. The carb 308 is purely for fun driving and Fchat events!

No matter which one you buy, it's a Ferrari. Smile. :)

Birdman

25. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The Mondials are almost as fast as their 308 counterparts, but you know what, no one really pays attention to exact 0-60 times except non-owners. In real world traffic, you'll be just fine. Remember, the newest 8 is now 24 years old, stop trying to compare it to modern cars. Put it back in the context of the era.

As several others have mentioned, the Mondial is a bigger car than a GT4 and should be better for ever day use. The electrical system is a joke, but is sortable.

I'll write more when I get a chance, I'm overseas again...