Mondial 3.2 vs T | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 vs T

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Dec 3, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Burch1

Burch1 Formula 3

May 26, 2012
    Singapore/Carmel, IN
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #76 Burch1, May 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I do like the look of the more aggressive fender flares on the 3.2.
    But in the end I chose the T for the increased power and better handling with the lower center of gravity of the engine.
    Additionally, I was able to find a Valeo T (18 made) from an original female doctor owner with 30k miles.
    As far as the seat belt gremlins, mine work fine but I tend to just use the lap belt and ignore the shoulder belt.
    Oh, and to answer the Valeo production numbers questions earlier in this thread, here is the latest from the official Ferrari serial number guide.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I liked my 3.2 but if I have another one I'd like to try a T. Still thinking about it.

3. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Forgot about the mice....I generally never had a problem with them outside of finding them annoying. But no, I'd put that in the con list of the T.

I still think the T was the best of all of the Mondials (albeit never had a 3.0 Mondial, but did drive a Mondial 8, woefully underpowered).

One day I'll build a franken T to go with my planned franken Testarossa (512TR but with high mounted mirrors, and the seats/engine lid from the original TR).

4. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    #79 Rapalyea, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    Your original seriously photo studded post - was very very good. And I took advantage of the postings and noticed something no one seems to have mentioned before. The torque curve! The t simply has better power delivery stats. The total hp at the very top everyone knows but only maniacs like me routinely drive like that. I almost always drive 3,500 rpm to 6,500 and today repeatedly to 7,000 rpms. [I swear my Prugna Metalica Coupe is some sort of 'special run' as it just smokes from 60 indicated to 120 indicated.]

However here I present the listed specs 3.2 -3.4

3.2 max torque = 304 fp @ 5,500
    3.4 max torque = 324 fp @ 4,200

I have not driven a 3.4 t and I might believe my 3.2 runs like a scalded dog. But scald my dog I must do. As the old saying goes: "People buy horse power but they LOVE torque". And in this I must concur. My positive displacement supercharged 347 stroker Lincoln Mark VII probably had something like 500 ft @ 4.000 rpm. It was an automatic and I just floored it off the line [using two-seventy three gears and a low stall speed truck torque-converter to avoid smoking the rear tires] and simply swooped away from everything but a well driven Vette. And did it silently. And of course I had a SERIOUSLY modified suspension for the twisties.

I am nearing completion of my second supercharged Mark VII but it is not super-tuned like the old one, is only 5.0L and lacks boxed rear suspension pieces and sub-frame connectors. But it will be just fine for car shows since it is near show room stock in appearance. And it has a 'hot rod' exhaust to impress the kids. But so I suspect I would prefer a 3.4 Ferrari power curve over my 3.2 That said, the simplicity, the serious old school mechanical steering and dead center power train or the 3.2 is simply the cats meow.

------

Going on two years and 11,000 miles daily driver and never once towed in!