Mondial 3.2 Oil Pressure Sender Unit Replacement | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 Oil Pressure Sender Unit Replacement

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by soucorp, Nov 6, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 soucorp, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone has ever replaced an Oil Pressure Sender Unit on their 3.2?
    My Oil pressure gauge was acting up, worked fined at startup and then it would go to zero and sometimes would comeback to life. I know its not the pressure, engine running great, just a bad sender unit. So I bought a new one, tried to take the old out but I can't see how I can even get to the screw below the oil filter without removing the oil hose and or coolant that blocks any tool from turning the screw. Anybody successfully done this? thanks.

pics below:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Did it a while back. Take an old open end wrench you dont care about, heat it up, put in vise to a 90 degree bend. My wrench had to be shaved down as well to fit best. Did the other side to a 45 degree bend looking at it too.

3. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sounds great Dave, any chance I can buy that wrench from you if you still have it around?
    I can send you a Paypal payment if you want to sell. Just need it for this fix, and can mail it back to you if you need it back. Thanks,
    -Mike

4. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    No need to pay for it. PM me your address.

theunissenguido likes this.
  5. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sweet, I'll PM you. Thanks so much!

6. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Yes!

7. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #7 soucorp, Nov 12, 2011
    Update, Dave was nice enough to send me his tool wrench he had modified specifically to take off the oil pressure sender unit from his QV. Unfortunately, my 3.2 has a 24mm bolt and the wrench is just shy of 24mm. So I bought one that I will modify for this job but for the benefit of others, you will need to bend the wrench or start taking off oil and coolant hoses which gets messy for such a little job as this.

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #8 soucorp, Nov 26, 2011
    What a pain, had to modify a 24mm wrench for this job and thanks to a FChat member=Dave for letting me borrow his wrench. Turns out my new unit was 24mm where the old unit was 22mm. Count on Ferrari to make it so difficult for something so simple. Anyways, after a month of trying different ways to take the old unit off, I finally did it today! installed the new unit, put everything back, and works like a charm and no oil leaks! Took her out for a great drive and again the weather was 65 degrees Thanksgiving Holiday weekend. cheers!
    See pics below.

9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    perfect end to the story. :)

10. Razzouk

Razzouk Rookie

Feb 3, 2018
    Jerusalem
    Full Name:
    Wassim Razzouk
    Hi, I am also having issues with my pressure, shows too high, thinking to replace the sender unit, di you guys think the unit can be replaced using FIAT or ALFA parts that I might be able to locate locally? Any ideas? Thanks

11. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I took my filter housing off the engine and did it in the vise. Cost one gasket and saved alot of aggravation.

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A crows foot spanner can be useful