Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet vs. Mondial T Cabriolet | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet vs. Mondial T Cabriolet

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by towens, Jul 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. towens

towens Rookie

Apr 4, 2005
    Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    Tammy Owens
    My husband and I have owned a 308gts qv, a 348ts and currently own a 512TR. We have been in a search for a Mondial Cab now for several months for me. We are undecided about the reliability of both of these cars. We hear that the 3.2 is a more reliable car than the T. We hear that the T is a much better driving car, has better A/C, power steering and so on. The fact that the T is quicker is not important to me. We would only buy a near perfect example of either of these cars with low mileage and have located one of each. Does anyone have any comments on their personal experiences with either of these cars that you would share?

2. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    My T Cab has never left me stranded in 20k miles of driving...of course, that means driving it and not sitting around looking at it in the garage. As for specifics between the models, I will leave that for the Forum Search button...

3. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi Tammy,

I was tossing that question up in the air for close to four years (3.2 or "t").
    They are both different animals though they SEEM quite similar. Sit in and drive them both - they feel, well, they are different. See which one makes you feel "one with the car". Enjoy your search and research:)

Cheers, Hank

4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    When my wife gave me the green light 2.5 years ago, I spent a bunch of time looking at the merits of both cars, and even more time looking for the right one.
    Ultimately, after driving a few of each, I preferred the 3.2. I feel that it drives better, without the power steering, and I was concerned with the higher cost of maintaining a T and also the more complicated suspension and electrical issues.

I was finally able to find an 88.5 Mondial Cab - Red over black with 7K miles and perfect history at Ferrari of New England. We bought it last year and have driven it trouble free for 3K miles. It's great; it’s a blast to drive, has plenty of power and has seats for the kids.

Having said this, I believe it is more important to find the right one, 3.2 or otherwise than to try by a specific one with issues. History, service documentation and a very through prepurchase evaluation is critical.
    I traveled to see cars that were represented as perfect cars, no issues, etc, that were complete basket cases. This was frustrating and costly.

I have also learned that the Ferrari Chat is also a great resource that provides, in most cases, solid information from knowledgeable individuals.
    Do a search on Mondials here and see what you can learn.

I also noticed that a T is for sale in Auto Week Classifieds. Don’t know anything about it but the price seems reasonable to low. I also beleive that prices on Mondials seem to be going up. Check it out and good luck!
    - Ron

5. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    These cars (both versions) are pretty reliable as far as exotic cars go. One caveat though... The 3.2 is a "CIS" injected car, and you may have difficulty finding a service tech that will be able to get it back on track - IF it ever wanders off. The "T" on the other hand has a more modern injection system. On another note: The "advantage" of the 3.2 "reliabilty" seems to be the "non-engine out timing belt service." However, that benefit is easily out-weighed by the "T" power steering alone. Truly, timing belt service simplicity is not something you should base the purchase of a car on. The service is not completed often enough for it to weigh much - or if at all - in a purchase decision anyhow. However, to each their own.

I luv both versions, driven them a lot, but the drivabilty of the "T" will win you over. Your going to use this car often right? My wife would shoot me if I expected her to park a 3.2 more than once. Your already working with a clunky gated shifter, now do you really want to toss in Mondial non-assisted steering? The "T" version can be driven like it were second nature. Its a pleasure.

I have lived that nightmare. Some sellers "show car" are others "beater." However, it looks like they have found two examples that they approve of already.

6. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    MONDIAL T they have power steering? other then body are they the same as 348ts/tb?

7. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
  8. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Hi Tammy - good luck on your search. Just remember that the t coupes are far and few between with only 42 ever coming to the US. We've accounted for 6 of them - Michael's pruna, a black one, we saw three red ones at the USGP this year (one in the Car Corral and the other at Monument Circle) and the one we bought from Ferrari of Houston. We are very happy with Sophia and wish you and Grady luck in finding the car that fits your needs.

Carol

9. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hi gang,

Yes Arie, not only does the t have really great feeling power steering but also power ABS brakes and my favorite, a ride control system that blew my mind when I first experienced it - a flip of the rocker switch and a nasty washboard section of the #405, went bye-bye. Running the twisties, flip the switch to firm. Oh Boy!!! The Mondial t, though it possesses the same engine/tranny as the 348, raised the bar for technology. Ride control on a 2005 auto? I've got it on Rachel and I couldn't be happier:)

Tammy, you guys should get a copy of "ORIGINAL FERRARI V8" by Keith Bluemel. Its wonderful reading with excellent photos.

Cheers, Hank