Mondial 3.2 cab engine removal | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 cab engine removal

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by GeorgieM, Sep 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GeorgieM

GeorgieM Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    George Melanis
    Getting ready to drop the power pack out of the Mondial 3.2. Any top tips? The manual is not very complete on this topic

2. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    My manual has a step by step procedure that's pretty comprehensive.

I would make an engine stand with wheels, that's as low to the ground as possible. Remove the rear wheels, and lower the rear frame onto the stand. Disconnect everything on the checklist. Raise the chassis with bottle jacks on either side. Raise the chassis the chassis slowly, and make sure nothing is getting stuck, like the air injection manifold for example. Then roll the power unit out.

This procedure takes a lot of time. Many things can be done with the engine in the car, e.g. timing belts, which is much easier.

3. GeorgieM

GeorgieM Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    George Melanis
    Thanks for the reply. Ive got a two post lift Im using and the 20 steps from the manual. I was just looking for some pitfalls etc. Got bent valves so she's gotta come out

4. GeorgieM

GeorgieM Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    George Melanis
    Engine is out. So now what all do I change now that it’s out???

5. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    What I really recall as being impossible to do was changing the fuel lines behind the heat shield on the firewall. If you've got it out, look into that one. I also recall that the seal between the engine and transmission that the shift rod goes through is very difficult to do while it's in the car, so perhaps this is the time. I haven't done that one, but I need to so I've read what I can about it.

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Good time to clean the engine bay.

7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Redo the heat insulation on the firewall.

What did you use for an engine stand?

8. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’d remove all the air injection stuff and cylinder sampling tubes unless they are in pristine shape. They rust and leak.

9. GeorgieM

GeorgieM Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    George Melanis
    Used jackstands for now but going to transfer it onto something else after the valve job.

10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    How high do the bottle jacks have to lift?

11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I used (2) 2 ton bottle jacks with a lift range of 7 1/8" to 13 5/8". I may have put some 4x4s underneath the jacks. You want to raise the car as high as you can with the floor jack, until you can get the bottle jacks to fit under the chassis lift points. Something like this, but without the hydraulic lift.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is funny... I recognize that picture.

paulchua likes this.
  13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Did you really need the garage lift to do this ? Seems like the bottle jacks alone would have got the chassis up high enough to roll the engine out. I'm sure the lift made it easier.

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You technically do not need the lift but the jacks got to be pretty high to roll it out. The 4 post lift just makes it that much easier to clear the subframe. Notice that this picture was for a F355 spider where the bumper came off to provide more room. If I remember correctly, the Mondial has a trunk that dictates the lifting of the frame to be even higher than the 355.

15. GeorgieM

GeorgieM Rookie

Dec 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    George Melanis
    Got the motor out and well underway on the work. Decided to replace all the intake and exhaust valves. However, Im running into some trouble with the exhaust valves. Part number 117364 is the exhaust valve that is affordable at about $60 a piece. 131199 is what came out of my car and shows to be the number that supersedes 117364 that is no longer made. 131199 is around $240/ VALVE!!! Anyone have any insight on this. Can I use 117364?

16. bluesubielover

Apr 18, 2019
    Chesapeake, VA
    Full Name:
    Carl Von Mosch
    Where did you locate a service manual? I am in need of one for my 87 3.2 cab.

17. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
  18. bluesubielover

Apr 18, 2019
    Chesapeake, VA
    Full Name:
    Carl Von Mosch
    Thank you for the information. This looks very comprehensive.