Mondial - 3.0, 3.2, or 3.4??????????? | FerrariChat

Mondial - 3.0, 3.2, or 3.4???????????

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Schumi, Nov 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    What should I buy if I want to be in a car for around $30k with full service done recently? What are the in's and out's of these cars, power, speed, service, etc. Thanks

2. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    how longs a piece of string!

Mondial 8 some say too slow

QV last of the seventies designs, qucker than an 8 and easy to maintain, I have one and love it

3.2 best in my humble opinion

T is a great car but costs can be high compared to those above due to the new 3.4 litre engine being turned around making servicing more expensive.

All are great cars and all suffer from rot, electrics and poor maintainance, if you find one, any one, get it checked over by someone who knows whats he's doing, depending on where you are I guess someone on here can point in the right direction.

Good luck!

3. MondialMondo

MondialMondo Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    A 1988 Mondial 3.2 is the finest Mondial ever built since it has ABS, a very robust engine and does not have the annoying hard to find metric tires of the prior model years. Plus, it should be within your purchase budget of $30K (a nice Mondial T would probably be outside of that range). However, unless you are considering a Mondial T which is based on the 348 and therefore a different car, I would not get too caught up in what type of Mondial you should buy. Some Mondials are now well over 20 years old and nice pristine examples are becoming increasingly harder to find. My suggestion would be that you go with the nicest example you can get your hands on. Anyway, there are many postings available on this. Also, Forza Magazine did a buyer's guide on the Mondial a few years ago. I believe they still sell back issues.

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    You won't be able to find a decent, serviced 3.4 (t) for 30K unless you got REAL damn lucky. Think more in the high 30's - low 40's for a nice, serviced one.

You CAN get a 3.2, serviced, for around 30K. IMHO these are the best value of the Mondials. Better interior than the early cars, only 30 less hp than the much more expensive Mondial t, cheaper service and less electrical gremlins than the t. Also, I think they have the best styling of ALL the Mondials. They and the t have the much more modern bumpers, but on the t they made the side intake grilles smaller and took off the fender flares. The 3.2 with its large, angular "cheese graters" and flared fenders looks much better, and a lot more masculine and aggressive. I think the t looks more feminine.

just my 2 cents.

5. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    They do sell back issues, I have all three issues that have the Mondial in them. There is a buyers guide for the coupe, one for the cab, and a comparision of a Mondial 3.2 to a 328.

Also, since I am in the Mondial search-mode myself, I have a quick question. What are the differences between the 87 and 88 cars? Was 88 the first year for ABS? Do all the 87's have metric wheels? Any other differences?

6. Max4HD

Max4HD Formula 3

Jun 20, 2006
    Florida
    I'm biased.

Go with the 3.2- you should be able to find a straight car for the $ your looking to spend.

ALWAYS DO A PPI! ALWAYS DO A PPI! ALWAYS DO A PPI! ALWAYS DO A PPI!

7. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    3.2 at your price point sounds doable. Good luck!

-Peter (very happy I sprung for the t...)

8. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Let's see some 3.2 pics from our resident owners! I see very few 3.2s (that I'm aware of) - mostly either QVs or T-cabs... Locally, we have 3-4 T-coupes, which we all know is a pretty amazing sight to see them together outside of Concorso as there are only 42 in the U.S.! That's 10% of total, baby, and there are probably more in the immediate area I don't know about!

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Coupe or Cab? There's about a 5 to 10 thousand dollar price difference so I doubt you'll find a good 3.2 or t Cab in the price range you quoted. Come to think of it I don't think you'll find a good serviced Coupe for that either. I've been looking hard for a 3.2 Coupe and they're (apparantly) not for sale. Lately I've been looking at Cabs and might have to "settle" for one of those instead.

But for $30k I think you can find a really nice Mondial8 or QV with recent service.

This one looks really nice, and serviced as well: http://www.vanbibberexotics.com/show.php?id=6&p=25&page=1&srt=make%20ASC

Right now there are two more on eBay and several on Cars.com.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-Mondial-Quattrovalvole-3-0-liter-V-8-Cabriolet_W0QQitemZ200050134466QQihZ010QQcategoryZ6212QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Ferrari-Mondial-Very-Clean-Great-Everyday-Driver_W0QQitemZ190056033010QQihZ009QQcategoryZ6212QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.cars.com

10. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nathan,

What fender flares are you referring to? The 3.2 & t have the same fender line. Not being argumentive here, I just want to know what "flares" your talking about. Got any photos?

I am looking at my feminine t coupe as I write this & I can't for the life of me figure out what is missing (neither can the three girls I have in the t waiting for me... Ohhhh! That's what you mean by feminine)... Four seater Ferraris are the best. :)

11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #11 Wade, Nov 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #12 nathandarby67, Nov 28, 2006
    Ahhh but they don't have the same fender lines. I thought they were the same for a long time as well until someone else pointed it out to me. Sorry if you took feminine in a derogatory way....that's not at all how I meant it. I was just trying to say that the t has more graceful, smoother lines that the 3.2. Also, the rear exhause grille is subtly different, it is intergrated more with the sides of the rear bumper on the t compared to the 3.2.

Anyhow, here are some pictures pointing out the differences:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #13 snj5, Nov 28, 2006
    I would agree that the 3.2 is the best for the $$ by a long margin, but they are all incredibly classically great & usable GT cars for the money.
    Looks are quite subjective, I like the 3.2 better, but they all are aging stylistically quite well and look better every year, as most all the classic Pininfarina designs.

Our little 1988 3.2 coupe has had the best of everything sparing no expense, so I don't think I shall ever sell (as no one could afford it... :) )

14. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Okay, how much? ;) BTW, Is that Nero or Nero Met?

15. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    #15 snj5, Nov 28, 2006
  16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Just as I thought (got that million dollar lottery ticket around here somewhere...)

The sad thing is that I can't even find an off color car (meaning other than black) so I can put a $10k paint job on it.

17. lusso64

lusso64 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2004
    Simi Valley
    Full Name:
    David
    Another major difference between the t and the prior models is the side grille. The t has a vertical back edge, and the others are at about 45 degrees. The t ones are IMPOSSIBLE to buy new....

18. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Oh my! Thank you all.

I never noticed! Thanks for the detail. I cant decide which look I like better.

Oh and, I would never take feminine as derogatory... I love feminines. :)

19. CFCARRIAGE

CFCARRIAGE Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2006
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I like you was on the hunt recently. I just ended my search and I went for the 89 Mondi T Cab. ABS, Adjustible shocks, interior upgrades, little more hp and the rare sera blue color I was looking for.

I think to stay near to $30k you'll have to go with a mondial 8 or QV or a higher mileage 3.2. Like everyone here says the more you drive it seems the more reliable it becomes..as long as the maintenance has been kept up on.

Yes the maintenance is higher on the T, but an older 8,or QV can add up as well. Remember your going to be buying a car thats probably atleast 15 years old.
    FWIW.. I figured my ideal purchase price and then added an immediate maintence budget of things to be done upon buying it. This may also help you with negotiations if you have an idea of what maintenance is needed on the car your looking at (insist on inspecting the records). There are some nice Mondials owned by Fchatters in the ads. Tread lightly on ebay (reputable dealers do sell alot on ebay as well). Do your homework and check out their background (google them, BBB searches, Secretary of State business searches and Fchat searches) and only buy with a PPI or talk to the ferrari mechanic that is currently servicing the car, don't get hooked and make an impulse buy. The internet is shark infested waters.

A female buddy once told me: You gotta kiss a lot of ugly frogs to find that one prince. Same goes for classic and near classic cars.

I have a bunch of links to sites with mondials for sale..Pm me if your interested. Best of Luck.

20. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Thanks to all who helped me out. I think the 3.2 is the way to go. I like the fender flares - never noticed the difference until now. If anyone knows of a nice 3.2 driver - no garage queen - in black/tan especially, let me know. Thanks again, Daren

21. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    If you're looking for a Coupe then you've got some competition :D
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/ferrariads/showproduct.php?product=1708&sort=1&cat=15&page=2

If you want a Cab, where are you located? I know of one in CT that might interest you.

22. MondialMondo

MondialMondo Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2005
    USA
    Full Name:
    MondialMondo
    Wade, I saw your ad. I think you're going about it the right way. Let us know once you have purchased one.

23. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have a Mondial 8.
    Key points for all Ferrari and Mondials in particular:
    1) Pre purchase mechanical inspection. DO NOT BUY WITHOUT ONE. If bidding, contact the seller and ask if any bid can be contingent on PPI. If not, walk.
    You must realize that ALL Ferraris have their parts dipped in platinum. I paid for my Mondial twice. Once to buy it and that amount again in parts and service. Consider: Clutch job: $3,000. Major Tune up: $4,000 every five years. Get the picture?
    2) Do homework on prices
    3) Budget at least 5k for repairs and work just for a "good one"(if you don't end up needing it, fine)
    4) Depending on your budget, better to get a needs nothing no stories Mondial 8 for 18,000, than a 3.2 for 30,000 that needs 20,000 worth of work.
    Better to spend money up front for a good one than to have to fix up. The first way is cheaper. Trust me on that one.

Now, quick summary of the models

1) Mondial 8 1980-82
    First run of the car. A 2 valve engine.
    Black bumpers, weakest engine..BUT...can get a nearly perfect one for 20k.
    Yes, slow from 0-60, but once moving has plenty of speed (for me). It has all the right sounds, looks (imho) and feels like what it is..a Ferrari.

Same engine as the 308

2) Mondial QV. 1983-85
    All that applies to the 8, applies here, except add 2-5 to price and more horsepower and better console layout.
    Prices about 25,000+

Same engine as the 308qv

3) Mondial 3.2 1986-1988
    In my opinion, if you can afford it, this is THE best value in Ferraris, not to mention Mondials.
    Beautiful color coded bumpers, nice 3.2 engine, non-metric tires and wheels after 86. ABS, on later models.
    Prices about 27,000+
    Same engine as the 328 (tied for best Ferrari value)

4) Mondial t 1989-92(?)
    All same applies as 3.2, but with a 3.4 engine, different engine configuration.
    Adds power steering and really nice and modern interior. Mostly cabs...coupes VERY rare. Most costly in purchase and upkeep....but soooo nice.
    Prices about 40,000+

Same engine as the 348.

24. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Incredibly biased opinion follows:

One point to be made about Mondials is that where they shine is not on a racetrack or magazine test panel, but in the real world - this applies equally to the M8 through t. I finally realized after taking my car on a 3 year European assignment, that the Mondial is not about 'point and squirt' power (which any knuckehead can do), rather, it is about balance, poise and elegant utility at speed - the perfect small GT. Read any European review of the Mondial - they got it where the Americans did not... even Ferrari executives preferred the Mondial as a better Ferrari for the European street than their showier sibs.

If you want to be plastered in the back of your seat (before you get arrested) get a Turbo whatever. If you are looking for a car (not a toy) that works, will make you a better driver, is a scream to drive every day, is great on a long trip, a roomy and real 2+2, relatively reliable, mostly DIY maintainable and a classic handbuilt carriage with historic bloodlines, there is NO better car than any Mondial or 308GT/4.

Many Ferrari people buy their cars as a toy, investment or due to some personality disorder - and these people have a lot to do with Ferrari pricing. The Mondial is a adult car for the real world, and one heck of a bargain.

Have fun - we do.

25. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    That's beautiful, Man, and exactly as I remember the 8 I drove for almost 7 years. But if you keep writing like that eveyone will want one :)