Modern Homes Picture Thread... | Page 52 | FerrariChat

Modern Homes Picture Thread...

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by TG, Mar 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    While not completely to my taste, it really is a work of art. A Wright house near me (in NJ) was recently purchased and will be shipped to a museum down south. I see many of these structures as works of art so, to me, it makes sense.

Regards,

Art S.

2. Dodici Cilindri

Dodici Cilindri Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    #1277 Dodici Cilindri, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    Great design often blurs the distinction between architecture and art. It enlivens our world and encourages us to find what is really possible. Too often I have found that too many settle for mediocrity because they are afraid to look beyond conventional thinking.

3. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    Architecture IS art. Sadly most buildings in the US don't fall into this category. The vast majority are just construction. It's a distinction that's lost on the average American.

4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #1279 jm2, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    I'm assuming that since you say "I see so many beautiful modern designs with flat roofs" that a flat roof is your preference.
    As has already been mentioned, large overhangs in modern architecture come from a need to control sunlight (and thus heat gain) and were mostly developed for conditions of the U.S. South West. Given your location, this is probably the exact opposite of what you want as you will incur greater heating and lighting costs.
    Have a look at the work of modern architects who work in an environment similar to your own; Danish, Dutch, German, Swedish, Japanese, Canadian, and of course British and Irish, all have some great firms. You might also want to consider researching the use of "traditional" local materials and building techniques in a contemporary way. FWIW, there are reasons the traditional buildings in your area are the way they are. Find out what they are and try to incorporate then in a modern way.

A good starting point would be some design web sites; Designboom, Dwell, Inthralled, & Dezeen come to mind but there are many others out there.

Also, here's a Canadian web site for a firm that is very well regarded amongst architects.

MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple Architects Limited, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Residential, Institutional, Architecture, Urban Design

take you time and enjoy the process!

6. rusty2010

rusty2010 Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    avon in.
    Full Name:
    rusty
    Very nice looking house, any info on the Architect/Builder?

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    It was designed by the owner
    Don't know who the builder was

8. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #1284 Dincenzo, Aug 28, 2014
  9. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Interesting

10. Dodici Cilindri

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    Does anyone have an idea whose stone mix is used on the face of the home and garage?
    This would work wonderfully on a current project.

11. rusty2010

rusty2010 Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    avon in.
    Full Name:
    rusty
    The stone is a Castle Rock pattern. The color description has various names depending on location. This stone in Seattle is called Chilton full color.Your local stone yard should be able to identify it. The mason that laid it is exceptional, the stones are fitted tight and the general facing is smooth compared to most rough faced walls. This will make a big difference in the overall look. good luck!

12. Dodici Cilindri

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    Thank you very much.

13. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
  14. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
  15. Dodici Cilindri

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    Six years ago was 2008. I think all can remember what the real estate/construction market was like then, especially southern California. The first challenge would be making sure that financing was still in place. Second would be finding a suitable/solvent construction firm.

16. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    #1293 TG, Oct 16, 2014

Financially it was all paid upfront / in cash. From our brief discussion about the process, six years included buying the property off market. From there, it was design and getting permits from Laguna Beach and then the Coastal Commission; both of which are notoriously resistant to approvals. The other thing is the neighborhood HOA took some time, it's a neighborhood of only like 60 homes which are all ocean view.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Dodici Cilindri

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    Great that they had the financial aspect already covered. What types of restrictions, covenants and hoops to jump thru did they run into?

18. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Looks great TG! :)

What do you think this property is worth?

If there is only one luxury in life I would give anything to have it would be a property like this!

Thanks for the pics buddy, hope all has been well. :)

19. Dodici Cilindri

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    According to Sotheby's 3 bedroom, 3 bath, $4.3 million and no garage nor carport.

20. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    john:
    i just saw this tread for the first time.
    is that a Lou Des Rosiers design?

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    no it was designed by the owner himself, a former car designer
    it's on Grosse isle on the river
    the interior is very OTT contemporary with a great deal of art work on display

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Hello Andres,

That's a pretty picture of your Green Roof, how has is worked out (almost 4 years later)?

Also, not knowing your location, I'm interested to know about any invasive species issues i.e. Red Imported Fire Ants.

Thanks,

Wade