Modern 1/2 Ton Truck Towing | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Modern 1/2 Ton Truck Towing

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by lashss, Mar 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #26 E60 M5, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lash,

The girls and guys out at my daughters barn all use the RAM 2500 and a few the 3500 to pull rather large horse trailers and 2k lb horses, some 2-3 horses at a time without issue, all over the country.
    I have seen them towing 70 mph easy, not recommended, but they do it anyway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    proper load distribution is paramount to a good tow, get it wrong, the trailer is doing the driving and the rig is dancing all over the road, regardless of the brand...

3. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    F150 anyday. I had a 13 supercrew fx4 ecoboost. That truck was great at almost everything you could have asked for. The most I towed was maybe 4K so yes it was on the light side but easily forgot I was towing with it since it was so smooth and quiet. Sorry Rob but the Tundra has been begging for a engine and completely new body for a long time since around 2010. I think the 1st generation ecoboost had more power than the big5.7 motor but the new ecoboost is even more powerful and better gas mileage than the previous generation. I'll stick with the latest and safest truck for my money.
    2015 Ford F-150 vs. 2015 Toyota Tundra: Which Is Better? - Autotrader

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #29 rob lay, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree the current generation Tundra came out in 2007 and long in tooth. It doesn't lead many of the categories anymore. Toyota calls the 2014 on 3rd gen, but that's B.S. Heard a diesal was coming. Here you go for Tundra strong, Friday I was pulling 17,000 pounds no problems. Truck took off strong, handled well, and went about 65 mph. I had to just stay on top of the braking and added some engine braking. Also only 4 mpg, but only need to move the tractor about 20 miles at time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Nice!
    Last year I was talking to a cop who stopped by while the fire department was putting out my trailer fire. I had the trailer hooked to my van and the vans rear springs a warn. He thought I was overloaded. He told me i better take some weight off before moving the trailer. If I got pulled over and was overweight the fine is based on every pound over the weight limit. He didn't say how much it was per pound. It it sounded like it was several dollars per pound. I'd hate to see your fine with that load :)

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    considering modern half tons carry more than past full tons, every farmer moving a tractor around was over in past years. :D the hitch is rated for 25k though and I could still get air bags, but won't use it that much.

7. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    So, I've heard from more newer 1/2 ton owners and they say the modern trucks are the way to go.

In most cases, you have to go to an older dually to get more capability.

I'm going to test drive a few of them and see which one fits the bill.

LSJ

8. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Thanks for all of the replies. I did try out a few of the newer trucks and ended up with an older 7.3 Superduty. I found a great deal on a low mileage example that I will update and tune to my needs. Modern brake components, shocks, Apple Carplay/XM/Bluetooth, etc. will follow.

My concern was that I wanted forced induction for high altitude situations and the cross wind stability afforded by the heavier chassis.

Also, the newer trucks are very expensive. I have a depreciation free experiment with this older truck if I don't like it.

Gmaccormack and Gran Drewismo like this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yep, the forced induction need for altitude, just like planes.

lashss likes this.
  10. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I love those 7.3s What year? 250? 350?

lashss likes this.
  11. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    Great topic, and right on time for me. I just sold my Avalanche with a 5.3 because it didn't tow a single car hauler well. Thought I wanted a 2500 Duramax but not sure how I feel about adding DEF fluid all the time. Choices...

12. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    2001 F250 which is the year range I wanted to be in with the forged pistons. I stumbled across a low mileage, rust free example in NV and acted quickly. I don't drive that much so I couldn't justify spending $45-75k on a new truck that would get used once a week. I did just install a new radio that plays DVDs, has Bluetooth, Apple Carplay, backup camera and satellite radio. It is a nice update on an older vehicle.

From what I have learned about the used diesel truck market, I can use this truck for a few of my towing trips and see if I like it. If not, I can sell it and not lose much to depreciation.

13. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    low mileage 7.3 are gold. wish my excursion was a 7.3

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You have an excursion? Punk. I drive a subdivision.

15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I just bought a Cayenne diesel. Supposedly it's rated to 7.7. I dunno about that yet. But, I can tell you cruising at 90 across the American West? 30 mpg. I think I'm gonna name it, Casey Jones because it runs like a freight train.

BTW, I paid $52k with a 100k warranty.

16. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Anyone here drive a 1/2 ton as a daily driver? Perhaps an extended cab? I have a highlander right now...and use a ford e350 cargo van for the heavy duty stuff.

Would that even be practical? I would think parking would be a bear...

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Using a truck as a car is dumb. Sorry if that pisses some off, but it's true.

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    No worse than driving a sports car and being stuck in traffic 99% of the time.

lashss likes this.
  19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    They are easy to live with, especially the new Ram 1500. All of them are pretty big, but that's easy to get used to if you don't have to shoehorn it into a garage or in tight parking spots. They are basically big SUV's with a truck bed. Also, crew cabs are the only way to go if you need to haul people.

I have an F250 that I drive often, but my real DD is a Honda Ridgeline. I need a truck bed more often than I need a full sized truck, and this is perfect for a lot of things. It's a Honda Pilot with a truck rear.

Texas Forever likes this.
  20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm with you a little, I don't understand why so many have trucks in town that NEVER go offroad. I understand if you can't afford a car and truck, so if you do have to go offroad or haul even 10-20% of the time you might need to pick the truck. That said, besides the gas mileage, the Tundra is the best highway car I've ever had! The most comfortable, the smoothest, up high visibility, and 400 hp/torque to make any move.

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    A truck is a truck. It ticks me off when I'm trying to drive my car in suburban areas and I can't see squat because I'm surrounded by trucks and mega-SUVs driven by dime-store cowboys.

22. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There's an arms race out there on the roads of Texas. That's why we use the truck for when we have to venture in towards downtown Dallas or Fort Worth. Mostly, we try to keep the smaller, sportier cars in the burbs & rural areas. Yesterday, we took the Cali on a BBQ run down near Lake Whitney. A young man in a 350 dually pulled up next to us @ a red light, and rolled down his window to tell us how much he dug the F-car. I'd guess he was a good 2 - 3 higher up, and the Cali isn't that low by Ferrari standards. If & when the Ridgeline gives up the ghost, we're thinking 250 King Ranch or Platinum. Should also let us to tow anything reasonable.
    T

23. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I had to drive part ways into Houston today. Scared the living **** out of me.

25. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I bought my 911 in Houston, Porsche West Houston, and then drove it home in rush hour traffic. In the intervening 4+ years, I don't think the car has been in crazier traffic!
    T