Missing Front Plate Ticket | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Missing Front Plate Ticket

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by rocketman, Sep 9, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #26 sjmst, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
    Yeah, those toll booth police can be real hard azz PITA's.

When I had my Mondial I had a plate up front because,
    a) It was a black bumper Mondial so who cares;
    b) Don't want some glorified hall monitor busting my chops. Just not worth it.

2. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #27 PhilB, Oct 6, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
    He probably gave you the ticket for the insurance card and not the plate, because he knew you can have the insurance card ticket thrown out on a technicality. In NY all you seem to need to do is show proof (I think you can even do it via mail) that you had insurance in effect when ticketed.

This happened to me a few times in the past. It's as though the police officer needs to show that they are doing their job and writing tickets, while not wanting to be a total turd and harass you, so they give you a ticket that can be appealed.

Good luck,
    Phil

3. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Forgot to mention in earlier post, there are a few options like this on the web:

http://www.hidetheplate.com/

I haven't bought one yet but have been tossing it around.

4. Eli355

Eli355 Formula Junior

Oct 12, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eli
    I use the hide and go plate with the motor. Installed by FOLI. GREAT product easy install with no drilling using existing under plate holes with lengthened screws. Saved me twice and makes everyone smile whe it goes in and out by pushing the key fob

5. BobH

BobH F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Morristown, NJ
    Full Name:
    Robert H
    I am using the same product as Barry, 308GTB. Well made and easy on easy off.

After having been tagged twice in Mendham I decided this was a cheaper way to go. I previously used a concoction of angle brackets with small nuts and bolts. A pain to put on and off. One time I was stopped and the officer in question bent over to check for worn screw holes and WAITED while I reinstalled the plate. It was dead summer, 100 degrees so I said I had left it off for better cooling. Not my problem, it needs to be back on.

Bottom line, if they want to give you a ticket you are getting one.

6. Racerfred

Racerfred Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    He let me off the no front license plate but gave me a ticket for no insurance. I called NYS and they said I can't mail the isurance card in with the ticket. I have to go to court.

Fred

7. cocaine2000

cocaine2000 Rookie

Oct 10, 2011
    I have the BMW M3 in NJ. But the car was from Florida so didn't have the holes for bumper.
    I got 3 ticket for the same reason, one for improper display- because I placed it inside the front windshield. That Bas***d was desperate..
    http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml
    This is something that works for me and works for 360 as they mention.. but need 2 screws on the underside of the bumper instead of on the front.
    check the list of vehicles.

8. chairpilot

chairpilot Formula 3

Mar 3, 2007
    LA, CA & Olympia, WA
    Full Name:
    PlateClipGuys

Fred,
    PM me or go to www.plateclip.net and I may be able to help you with a solution to the front plate bracket.

Bob

9. scotte

scotte Rookie

Dec 20, 2004
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    No front license plate on clearview expressway this past weekend for $138. Even with my NYC police membership ID card that has my picture embedded in it, that I pay a few hundred per year..which annoyed me most of all..

10. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

The hidden taxes of NYC, infuriating.

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Or the hidden Ferrari tax.
    Can't believe ID card didn't work. If it were me and I would have shown my NYC internal affairs PBA card that cop would have ran! Lol!

Bummer nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Rather pay the ticket (extortion) then put a plate on the front

13. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm with you Tom. I had a 95 vette for 9 years, got 2 no plate tickets, both from troopers.

My 2008 BMW has no front plate, got pulled over twice and let go both times. No plate on the 355 or GranTurismo and no plans to add it.

It's a BS law. And most cops see it black and white so having it in the car, unmounted does not really help.

14. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Your car would look even nicer without that thing on the front bumper...and that's not legal anyway. Pay the 90 bucks

15. geochin

geochin Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    George
    I have not a front plate on either my ferrari or dd. Been pulled over twice in 15 years. Got 1 ticket. Paid$35. Rather pay the no points fine than put a front plate on.

16. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've been running with no front plate since 1986!!
    I think I got stopped once or twice over the years for it, but no tickets.

17. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
    6 years and counting.... never been an issue

18. lor2435

lor2435 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2005
    NYC
    I street park here on the upper west side and am forced to use bumper guards. Last November we experienced some what of a crack down and I received 4 parking tickets in a two week period (I had done nothing differently than I had the last 5 years). One of these parking tickets was for no front plate... While parked.

Thankfully though, we've seen a huge rash of muggings in the last month so at least the money is going to good use... But I digress

19. scotte

scotte Rookie

Dec 20, 2004
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Another ticket for missing front plate on 684 from state trooper.. Pulled up in front of car too see if I had plate, then went back behind to pull me over. He gave me what looked liked a computer printout for the ticket. Has to be mailed in first to find out fine amount

20. gqa

gqa Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2011
    NY NY
    If parking on the street in NYC with no front plate, expect a ticket! I ran no front plate on my MB for 7+ years and was only stopped once at the midtown tunnel by a over righteous young cop, who gave me a speech but let me put my plate on w/o a ticket. I keep a plate in my car with heavy duty suction cups and padding on the back. It has never fallen off despite high speeds and our crappy roads. But almost every time I forgot to put it on while parked....ticket!

21. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Just got $54 ticket on nj parkway by trooper in a rest stop! They had a trap set up for drivers not using seatbelts, talking on phones etc.. Huge line of cars getting some sort of summons. My first time ever. I would take the ticket any day vs drilling the front plates.

Our tax dollars hard at work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. C Alexander

C Alexander Karting

May 9, 2013
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mr. H
    Was it the Montvale stop?

23. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    hmmm. no. It was around exit 153 near cliton.

24. ishrak

ishrak Rookie

Jun 26, 2015
    Go to the DMV and tell them that you lost your plate. They gonna right a report and give you a receipt that you had lost your plate. Show it to the parking ticket ****ers and you don't have to pay it!

Wish somebody tell me that before.

25. Cscat87

Cscat87 Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've been lucky in the F-car (knock on wood), but just got one of these in the Lambo driving through Queens. Crazy thing is, he pulls me over, asks for my information, then gives it all back and says 'have a nice day'. No problem, I got away with it! NOT! A week later (today), a letter comes in the mail saying to pay $65 for "plate missing". Still would rather pay one of those every once in a while than drill into any bumpers or have one of those silly flip-up things.