Minor service F512M | FerrariChat

Minor service F512M

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by claudineskilestrung, Apr 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. claudineskilestrung

Apr 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Claudine Skiles
    I am taking my M for an annual service and MOT (UK annual roadworthiness test) next week. Prior to reading Elsi's post on gearbox failure I was just going to ask for engine oil and filters change. I will add gearbox oil to the list. What else? Brake fluid? Plugs? Last major was 2.5 years ago with all the above plus cam belts etc. Engine oil and filters a year ago.

2. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Just engine oil and filter, check and top up coolant. The gearbox oil is not required for annual service.

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    don´t forget to change the brake fluid ( if not synthetic )

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Hey, did I read my name here? You still remember the gearbox failure of my 512 TR?

TR are so great cars and fun to drive. Some wrote that the gearbox oil should be changed on a regular basis. Sure this is not wrong. But I guess my problem was that I was driving the car quite hard back then. Was driving a lot in the Swiss alps and shifted down to first gear in many turns. Then out of the turn with full throttle to shift into second.

Brought the car to an official Ferrari dealer in Germany (Ferrari Eberlein in Kassel) to fix the gearbox and talked to the workshop foreman who is working on Ferraris since the TR was new. He said they had some gearbox failures when these cars were new since they were driven quite hard. Now that these cars are older and in collections they are driven less hard and thus less stress on the gearbox and diff. He said it was a long time back he had to fix a gearbox but did many when the cars were new.

So no worries. I still drive the car as it should be but avoid to shift down to first gear before every turn I take.

Still love the car! Hope you enjoy the pic of the 512 TR together with his Italian stable mates.

Markus

Attached Files:

Themaven and SAFE4NOW like this.
  5. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Beautiful photo and the 512tr looks good next to the 3200.

6. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Hi Markus, how are you? Did the 458 replace the 575 HGTC?

7. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Hi Darius

Great reading from you. Yes I sold my 575 HGTC to buy a 458 spider. My wife has troubles with her eyes so that she nearly stopped driving her loved Porsche Boxster. So she asked me if I would sell my 575 if she would sell her Boxster to buy an open roof Ferrari together.

First we were looking for a California. When we test drove one she liked it from the very beginning but I did not like the ride of the car. So we ended up with a nice low miles 458 spider.

What about you and your cars?

Markus

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Hi Markus

I am sorry to hear about your wife. I know how much she loves driving.

I think your choice of a 458 Spider is absolutely right! I hope you both are enjoying it.

I still have my F512M although I find myself much more frequently reaching for the keys of my manual 430 Spider, which the kids also prefer. As they get bigger I am wondering about swapping the 512 for a car that can take one kid + one friend stretched out in the back...a California or similar. I still also have the manual 575 FHP, which is a fabulous car, but best for longer journeys; and again, the family prefers the convertible. I feel the F512M is just a bit impractical, wide for British roads. Quite an engine though.

Overall I don't have access to the same roads on my doorstep as you do! I have also been wondering about swapping the manual 430 for a 458, but I'd miss the gated shift.

Keep well

Darius