Minimum Tire Change Time | FerrariChat

Minimum Tire Change Time

Discussion in 'F1' started by Beta Scorpion, Apr 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    Win the race with a good in-lap and a good out-lap. Don't ask the mechanics to win it for you by doing dangerous things (like changing wheels faster than is safe).

There already is a speed limit in the pits for safety. Have a speed limit on wheel change for safety.

2. Beta Scorpion

Beta Scorpion Formula 3

Jun 22, 2006
    FIA can regulate each team's 'Green Light' so it won't illuminate before 3 seconds.

3. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    Agreed, but if say there is a minimum of 5 seconds, then that will make the heck of a difference when calculating from a one stop to two stop race.
    It could change a winner into a looser !
    As for the last Ferrari cock-up, why did the man on the rear jack drop the car when they hadn't even got the wheel off. ?
    The 'human' element again, ya can't legislate for everything, and every now and then it all goes pear-shaped....that's life.

4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    So you want F1 to become even more boring? The quick stops are part of the spectacle. Watching a car sit for a stop n go penalty is PAINFUL to watch.

Having a longer stop wouldn't of changed anything. The lollipop person gave a green light when the rear tyre crew wasn't ready.

Look at the guys at the rear they all jump out of the way before he drives off. It's poetry in motion.

Now look at Francesco position just before Kimi took off. He is still waiting to put the tyre on that's why he is standing in the way. The rest of the team has moved away.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NEP, Ferris Bueller and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  5. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    NO. I'm a firm believer in going as fast as possible. These guys are the BEST of the best. There will always be accidents, things go wrong, but to institute MORE rules takes away the fun of racing, and the danger of messing up is part of that.

If we start to regulate the time, we might as well have a full inspection of the car at each pit stop, get tech out there to torque the wheels, inspect the body panels and make sure nothing has moved, weigh the thing, etc, before sending it out again to make sure its safe. Maybe get the drivers out of the car and make sure the belts haven't stretched too much. Lame.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Just dump the ****ing ridiculously artificial tire rule and problem solved. The last thing the sport needs is another rule.

7. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Random question on this topic:

What are the two pit crew members doing , one on each side of the car, middle car, when the car arrives, they both reach in and appear to " hold " the car by the air intake and the center camera mount area?

Signed,

Curious

8. #8 lorenzobandini, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Egads.... 'Simpler. Ban racing....:rolleyes:....fighting, football, boating, flying, walking across the street, etc., etc.

'Better idea.....ban living. 'Can't git hurt that way, ehhh??? :)

Psssttt. afraid of it? Don't do it. ;)

9. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Doesn't making a tire change take the fun out of racing? Imagine a time when racecraft rather than tire changes determined who won....I, too, am a firm believer in going as fast as possible, and much prefer good racing to 2.6 second tire changes. See SCCA racing, as an example.....there's more racing in a 40 minute National than many, many F1 races. The Formula sucks.

10. Simple. Pay it no mind if it's not for you. :)

11. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    After following F1 50+ years, it's just something that must be done...and hoping it's made right once again! :)

12. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    No I don't think it does. Racing is a team sport at professional levels, and the entire team contributes to the win. SCCA racing isn't professional, and the races are shorter with less reward for winning. While I love going to SCCA races and they are great in a lot of ways, its nothing compared to F1, or even IMSA sports car racing. I agree the Formula sucks, and I really hope they are going to change for the better at the next revision. If Liberty listens to fans the way ESPN did for their coverage, it would be a very good thing for the sport.

13. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    Stabilizing the car from rocking back and forth from the forces of the guns and tire changers reefing on it.

mcimino and SAFE4NOW like this.
  14. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    On a SAFETY point of view, yes, it would make sense to have a minimum pit stop time, OR use less pit crew (like other race series), OR not to have pit stops with tire and/or fuel changes.

To go to the extreme, it would also be safer to have slower cars, full roof, safer tracks, more run-off, less races, etc, etc.

So, I don't see a longer pit stop being any safer. We still have had in recent years unsafe releases, wheels coming loose and injuring mechanics, fires in the pits, etc. The FIA is now reviewing the pit guns of Ferrari and Haas to see if that is causing the problems this year, so safety is being considered.

15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  16. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    why is is that on the other side of the car the guy who takes the old wheel off is stood initially in front of the wheel and the guy putting on the new wheel is behind the wheel....where as on the side where the guy is injured its the other way around ? any reason for that?

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    it turns out the guy on the gun had it set to tighten ..instead of untighten .

18. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Source?

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Because they didn't change the tyre yet. Fabricio, who was meant to give the new tyre, would step away as soon as he's done his job. More than enough time to get out of the way. Because the green light was given, and the tyre change hadn't even happened yet, Fabricio got run over. An unfortunate and highly unusual accident, and a subsequent over-reaction.

We had stuff happen plenty of times before and never an overreaction like this....cars driving in the pitlane wrong, hitting their mechanics. Lollipop man lifting too early before tyres are changed or refueling hose wasn't out yet, knocking over several mechanics. Driver braking too late and hitting the lollipop man. And so on.

The teams obviously don't want this to happen, as they lose time and in this case lose the podium. Had Vettel pit first we'd have lost the race! **** happens. The guys in the pitlane all fully understand it's dangerous. But to my knowledge, not a single pitcrew member has ever died whilst working the pitstop. A few broken bones every few years. Considering we have 10-11 teams, 22 people work on each car at every pitstop, that's 220 people going to work each weekend and rarely injuring themselves, and dying at work rate stands at zero. Working in an insurance office has a higher death rate. I'm not sure if anyone understands but working in the pitlane in F1 is very much like standing right in the centerlane of a motorway, the speeds the cars pass by you. And then you have to stand right in front of 1 of them and be sure he exactly hits the marker. Overshoot it and he's run you over. The safety in the pitlane is frankly incredible. Traveling to a Grand Prix is much more dangerous, yet we don't ban that.

PDX_214 likes this.
  20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical

I mean when they are at their stations before the car stops ..the guys doing the same job (taking off and putting on the wheel)on the left and right side are in different positions.

Bas likes this.
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I'm just watching a replay of Fp1/2, Ted from Sky said it ,i have no idea where he got that from.

22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    To answer myself ..i think it might be due to the position of the rear jack guy .

He is standing on the right side at the back ,as you look from the front..so i think it would not be good to have the guy with the new tire waiting to be fitted to also be stood around that area.

On the other left side there is more space because the rear jack guy is on the other side ..

if that makes sense?o_O

stavura, lorenzobandini and Bas like this.