Milka Duno | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Milka Duno

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by laswyguy, May 27, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Sure it's fair, but that you for pointing out what we already know - few on this site has the experience they do, that's kinda my point.
    Money makes you go faster ?
    Not necessarily.
    Do you have a clue how many champions started out sleeping in garages on the floor, or in their cars ?
    Look at all the money Toyota is dumping into F1 and nascar, how many races have they won ? Look at Kyle Petty - he was 3rd Sunday - the last time he had a top-10 Bill Clinton was in office (or close to it).
    Money helps - especially today - but it doesn't guarantee speed or wins.

2. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yeah but it damn sure buys you experience, and then you can buy yourself a seat. Period. Also, someone who isn't expecially talented but has money, will have a MUCH easier time climbing up the ranks, as opposed to someone who is dirt poor but has the potential to become the next Senna. Oh yeah, didn't he come from a rich family? Yes he did.

3. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    Yes it did, last year was her first year at indy and that's when she spun on the caution lap.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I never said she didn't belong there. She actually raced quite well from the limited amount of laps I saw. It was Milka that looked like she didn't belong out there. Don't know what happened to Sarah Fisher. Probably just being a back-marker again for who knows how many years she's been at Indy.

I actually lol'd at the spin under caution. Reminded me of JPM spinning out when the cars start to line up on the grid after that installation lap. :)

5. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Best of any comments - I don't comprehend why all the negativity concerning Milka and none being expressed for the MEN racing there who really did some "bonehead" moves. Absolutely correct about Marco - he even said he didn't have a mirror to see what was going on next to him - that's a VERY stupid move he did. For all those whinners about Milka, why aren't you out there competiting in the racing events in her place?

Carol

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

never has a comment been made that is more true!! i actually commend you for understanding the "rules" at such a young age. when i was 21, i still thought my talent would get me to where i wanted to be...seems a bit funny looking back.

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

because most of us could not even dream of being as well funded as she!

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There are lots of super rich people who like to race but don't make it to the Indy 500.

I don't think she is a great talent, but she qualified and raced. She is as worthy/unworthy as many other guys who made the grid and crashed.

9. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy

True? Rules? No, you both have it wrong. No one gets to be a serious racer by talking on chat lines about it. If you want to excel, go out and pursue it - don't whine about how "unfair" the system is. I wouldn't disagree that the high-visibility motorsports cost money, but there are more than a handful of successful drivers who weren't rich. Senna for example didn't win with his checkbook. Michael Schumacher and Ralf Schumacher are the best examples of how money is not the only criteria. They weren't rich, but both had the same pool of support money to get in the sport with. One is a seven time world champion and the other can't get out of everyone's way fast enough.

10. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    Just my .02 cents worth; it looked like she lost it because she was too hot into the corner and had to back off the throttle due to all the slow GUYS ahead of her! Do that in almost any mid-engine car and the result is the same. Maybe the GUYS ahead of her were just too slow and she picked the wrong place to charge. Certainly not the first time a rookie has done that. As for the non-racing part, I'm glad you guys haven't figured out how hot Latin women are--more for them for us who have!!! And, check her educational background--she is certainly not degree-challenged...

11. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    In 2005 Danica took the lead with 5 to go passing eventual winner Weldon. She faded to 4th but led 19 laps.

In 2006 she started 8th and finished 10th. 2006 was the year Hornish passed Marco comming out of turn 4 on the last lap.

2007 was her 3rd year.

12. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    First of all, half the field wasn't behind her, as suggested. She started 31st and finished 29th. The reason for negativity, as I see it, works a little like this: A lot of us long-time Indy fans are still really, really p****d off at the way Tony George has destroyed the race. And all the lame promotional efforts and spin they throw at us are about as genuine as the Bushies convincing the world that they're doing a great job and don't have anything to hide. Along comes Milka, and I don't care how rosy your glasses are, she is under-qualified to be competing in the Indianapolis 500. There is no argument here about exploiting your resources to the maximum extent. If I was married to a billionaire, you're damn right I'd be trying the same thing. But the way in which she was fast-tracked into the race was reckless.

Answer this question: How many competitors in the past started the Indy 500 as only their second major open wheel race?

Since the split, there have been far too many under-qualified drivers in the race. We have Tony to thank for that. And we could spend days analyzing many of them. But I think the reason Milka has received such scrutiny is because she's the latest in this line, and seems to be the extreme example of inexperience. I would think more women would look at her position and be offended--there are talented female drivers out there not getting as many opportunities as her for glaring reasons.

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm sure you can answer the question yourself much better than I can. My understanding (and admittedly I know very little of the Indy 500 tradition) is, that this race used to be for everybody, at least in the first twenty years or so. So I would think that there have been quite a few amateurs for whom the Indy 500 was their first or second major open wheel race.

I'm the last one to defend Tony G. for anything but I do find it refreshing that they fast track interesting people into the field.

Come to think of it: Some folks in F1 got super licenses who had no business but $$$ to show for.

14. maxorido

maxorido Formula 3

Jul 6, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Yes but you've conveniently left out the fact that Michael and Ralf's dad built them their own karting track. He fully supported their karting at a young age. That simply isn't feasible for most people. Regardless of talent, money gets you experience and a seat. If you suck, then you end up like Antonio Pizzonia, if you're good, then that's great.

15. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    You are correct sir! Geez, I can't believe I forgot about that. Old age, I tell you.

16. laswyguy

laswyguy F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    Danica or Milka.. I should start a poll.. but I'd take Danica.. <edited>. i hope i dont get banned for this..

17. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Followed up with:

Oh - Boo-hoo - If your daddy could build you a kart track/own a gas station or two/owned a movie studio/etc, you'd be the next MS?

LH came from nowhere, but he "intrigued" Ron and has the smarts necessary today to "make it" - He's got a long, long, way to go before he's even entitled to clean MS's boots, but he's certainly off to a good start.

Having said that, I watched Senna in the British Formula Ford championship, and even then you *knew* you were seeing something special - LH seems (at this early stage of his career) to have the same "stuff" IMHO.

Ian

18. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Yep, Senna and Brundle ran neck-and-neck, but you know what ? 'Most' people 'in the know' back then said the third place driver behind Senna and Brundle was better than both of them, but his equipment failed him too much. And you know who that was...

19. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Yes, but you're talking about the eras where drivers came off the dirt tracks of America, the bull rings. Not their plastic surgeon's table.

Interesting?! This year's field had some of the deepest talent in recent memory. It's no wonder that serious race drivers continue to eye a defection to NASCAR or F1. Imagine if you were one of the top 12 drivers giving their heart and soul to the series, and TG pulls this publicity-stunt s**t and lets a rank amateur into your race, what used to be the greatest sporting event on earth. She's always been nothing more than a publicity stunt for those who hired her on, and nobody will ever provide evidence to the contrary.

20. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Women in racing today is all about generating ratings/interest. For every chick on the track, there's a guy far more talented and qualified being turned away from the starting line to make room for these tomboy publicity stunts.

21. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Cool

22. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

Actually I think she's a pretty damn good driver....it's her personality that could use some work. If I see that pouty, "I'm bad" look one more time....

Jack

23. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Danica just needs to do Playboy then get back in the car and drive far, far away never to return.

24. ferraridude615

ferraridude615 F1 Veteran

May 4, 2006
    Texas
    I think the same thing can be said with Andrettis, Unsers, and Foyts.

25. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Danica has finished the Indy 500 4th and 8th in the last 2 years....IIRC...

So you are saying, that you could do better than that?

Get a freakin clue... most of us would cream our pants at 175...let alone 220 on a 60' wide oval.

You don't finish in the top 10 in your first 2 Indy 500's without some tallent/balls (genetics aside).

At least the guys in the "bikini thread" actually like women.......