Milestone Motorcycles | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Milestone Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Dec 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    #76 kaamacat, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009

How bout the first Honda CBX (late 70's) being the 1st 6cylinder..... then the Yamaha XS1100 (drive shaft)........There is a guy in GA that is the go-to-guy for anything CBX related and does a restoration, literally the bike looks brand new. (I mean down to every sticker on the bike). How bout a Triumph Trident, another great bike. (Black and gold!)

Same here with me......... HS in mid-70's and went throught a bunch of what now would be great collector bikes. First was a 50cc mini-trail........YOU NEED ONE OF THOSE ALSO!

2. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I only got interested in bikes when I was in college in 92 but I remember the 1993 Honda CBR 900RR turned the motorcycling world on it's ear.

I didn't see 1974 Ducati 750 SuperSport. I don't know if it had a huge impact on the way people thought about motorcycles but is certainly is a historic bike.

Someone above has a Ducati Desmosedici in their collection. I think this is a great choice. Before this the GP technology would trickle down into the production bikes. This time they just took the GP bike and put lights on it.

I also agree with the 916 I think I actually got a chubby when I saw one in the showroom and was the reason I started looking at Ducatis to own.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    FYI, the Benelli 750 Sei was the 1st street-production six cylinder motorcycle... Honda did make a four stroke six cylinder 250cc road racing bike in 1964 to compete with the dominating two strokes of the day.

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    The newest Cycle World has a retro comparison between the Benelli, CBX, and Kawasaki KZ1300. All inline sixes.

5. Schaden

Schaden Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    #80 Schaden, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
    Wayne Gardner, 1987 Moto GP World Champion, got to ride all the factory superbikes from the 2009 season. He thinks the stronger bikes of that field are as good or better than the gran prix race bikes of his era. FWIW, he thought the Aprilia was the strongest bike followed by the BMW, Ducati, and Honda. He liked Spies' R1 least.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2009/Nov/091120a9.htm

I think anyone who closely followed the season will agree, Aprilia hit it out of the park with that design. Biaggi had results but so did everyone else who rode it. (besides Nakano) Simoncelli took a podium in his first race weekend on the RSV4. Granted the streebikes are only faintly related to the pro's superbikes, hell Spies Racebike was really Italian made ROFL, but the Ape spanked the field in the masterbike competition too. With pro ringers, the RSV-4 laptimes were 2 seconds faster than the next closest competitor. In the past, the v-twin model won it, and chosen runner up in the masterbike overall category several times.

Their bikes have won around 40 world titles in supermoto and GP. Corser said he should have won the SBK title with the RSV, had it not been for crap tires from Dunlop. And his bike was way down on hp compared to the inline bikes. It boogied in the turns. Aprilias have always been revered for handling prowess. Now they've got a serious engine to go with the artful chassis. I they will take a superbike title in the next year or two.

A V-4 is the proven superior layout for a roadracing motorcycle. It's more expensive and complex, but its weight distribution and power characteristics are the best. Off the showroom floor, the RSV4 is just below a Desmosedici RR in track potential for 1/3 the price. The Aprilia is a lot torquier. The Ducati has another 10-15 hp in the statosphere.

The RSV4 power delivery is supposed to be like the cross-plane R1. I'm surprised more companies are trickling down some moto gp tech. I guess you can't underestimate the business side of the equation. It might not be worth their money to make an upscale model that may only cannabilze from the GSXR or CBR line.

I would love to see Honda bring back another V-4 powered homologation model. The RC30 is certainly an iconic sportbike. If Aprilia can do it, you know big red could sell enough of an exclusive bike to qualify. I believe it's only a few thousand minimum for worldwide consumption to meet the rules.

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The S90 definitely was a big seller, but a dog of a performer. I'd opt for the Superhawk or Scrambler myself.

Not your wish list, but on mine - Aermacchi HD 250RR, HD VR1000, and the Bimota V-Due

7. Vincent998

Vincent998 Rookie

Feb 18, 2009
    Oregon
    HI:
    I've read this thread with interest, and all I can say is that most of you must be pretty young. I can see only a single bike before 1940 (Indian Scout), and very few before 1970. If you want REALLY important bikes, try some of these (and go read about them ...). They are in no particular order and the list is very incomplete.

1938 Vincent Rapide Series A
    1948-54 Vincent Black Shadow Series B and C
    late 1920s/early 30s Brough SS100
    Crocker (any)
    Cyclone (any)
    Indian Powerplus (electric lights, electric starter, swing arm etc - and all in the early 1920s)
    1938 Triumph Speed Twin (the bike that started parallel twin popularity)
    1894 Hildebrand and Wolfmuller (the FIRST production motorcycle)
    1923 BMW R32
    Norton Manx
    1972 Kawasaki Z-1
    Ariel Square 4 Mk 2
    1910 and later Scott (so fast at the time they were banned from some races)
    ca 1920 Zenith Gradua (variable speed transmission)
    1974-75 Ducati 750SS
    Velocette KTT
    BSA DBD Gold Star
    1956 Ducati 125 Desmo
    Honda CB77 305 Super Hawk (early 60s)
    Yamaha YDS-5 250 2 stroke
    And last but not least, the first Japanese sport bike imported to the US: 1963 CB92R 125 twin

You get the picture. It's my impression that most of you don't know about bikes made before you started riding. Check out a little history and you'll be amazed at what you learn.

Cheers
    SPCD

8. solidgold5

solidgold5 Karting
    BANNED

Jan 5, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Connor
    Update:
    1974 Ducati 750 GT
    2007 Ducati Monster S4RS (Monster of all Monsters)
    Still looking for a nice '70's Ducati 750 Sport, Maybe a Guzzi V7 Sport also...

9. Vincent998

Vincent998 Rookie

Feb 18, 2009
    Oregon
    How could I forget the Moto Guzzi 500cc V8?

10. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Because the only one in the world is in MG's museum?

11. Vincent998

Vincent998 Rookie

Feb 18, 2009
    Oregon
    Well, yes, the V8s are in a museum. However, as I understand it, the point of the original message was to ask for help in listing Milestone Motorcycles, not just those that were affordable, available, and so on. Most of the bikes in my list are available, but many will cost a bundle and some will take a few years of searching and cost an arm and a leg. So what? There was no mention of easily available, low cost, or "affordable for the cost of an Enzo" etc. Milestones are just that - motorcycles that made a difference to history one way or another.

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #87 Texas Forever, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
    My reason for nominating the Honda 90 is that so many of us of a certain vintage got our first ride on a Honda 90. In my case, in Florida around 1965, you could get a restricted driver's license, which enabled you to ride a motorcycle with less than 10 bhp, which fit the Honda 90 perfectly. For me and all my buds, as soon as we turned 14, we got our license, signed up for a paper route, and brought a Honda 90, on time no less.

Turns out, this was some of the best times of my life. You're 14. You're hanging with 17-year olds talking about ***** (even though all I knew was what I had learned from my PE coach). It is 3:30 in the morning with no adult supervision. Great times.

I'm sure we were not the only ones.

Dale

PS I still own a 1968 Rapido!

13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks for picking up the pieces.

Here are my favorites from your list:

In my case, after initially riding Japanese bikes, I fell in love with Brit crap. Damn you Lucas!

Dale

14. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John

My point was how he 'forgot'. Easy when there is only one.....

15. Mondialmike

Mondialmike Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    London
    Full Name:
    Mike Hunnisett
    Glad to see the Z1 mentioned. I restore these bikes, the one below is a UK spec Z1B (1975) sold to an English rugby player. Currently have a few Z1's on the boil and a Z1000-A1.

[​IMG]

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    It is not so much that we have ignorance of these old bikes, it is more like indifference. Many of the bikes you list are unusable in the real world and would only be quaint museum pieces. This is more because of their age than any issue with their design relative to their contemporaries.

As you said most of them represent historical firsts in production motorcycles, look through any book on pre-war British bike and you will see Lawrence of Arabia straddling the stainless tank of his "dangerously fast" Brough Superior. I could argue against a couple on the list not being milestones, but that is pointless as it will ultimately come down to personal opinion. And that gets to the point I am making.

For me at least the bikes I listed are also bikes I have owned or would like to own some day. As neat as they may be, I have little interest in owning a relic conceived before anyone had heard of FDR. I suspect many other on this thread are the same, the line between which ones we think are important and which ones are desirable is very blurry.

17. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    The RZ Yamahas are 2 stroke, but liquid cooled. The RZ 350 was available in the USA. The RZ 500 was available in Canada and easily imported into the USA.

The Yamaha to "acquire" would be the TZ750 2 stroke 4 cylinder.
    The Honda to acquire would be the 125cc 4 stroke 5 cylinder or the 250/6. (Or, the Elsinore)
    The Suzuki to acquire would be the TM 400 Cyclone or any GSXR
    The Kawasaki to acquire would be the NINJA series (Gpz)
    The Husky to acquire would be the 390 (Heikki Mikkola edition)
    The CZ to acquire would be the 400 red frame (Jaroslav Falta Replika)
    The Maico? Gotta be the AW440 (Adolph Weil) or the bike that started it all- the mighty 501.
    The Ossa? A Plonker
    The Montessa? Cappra
    The Bultaco? The Pursang
    The BSA modified into the CCM (thanks to Allen Clews)

How about a PUCH?

18. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    #93 NORTY, Jan 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You like Vincents? Here you go!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    #94 parkerfe, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    I bought a 1972 Kawasaki F11 250 for my wife for Christmas...she was born in 1972 too. While not necessarily a "milestone" per se, it was the first Japaneses dual sport that could compete with the then dominate euro bikes. I am still looking for an early 70s Suzuki TS185, TM250 and Kawasaki 750H2 and 903 Z1 like I owned in the day as well as a Hodaka Combat Wombat.

20. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    #95 NORTY, Jan 8, 2010
    A fine example of "crap."

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    :)

Couldn't help but to notice obligatory pan.

Wanna hear a bad Brit joke?

How come the Brits never build a computer?

They couldn't figure out how to make it leak oil.

Dale

22. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Actually McCain is a hero in my eyes. I don't like his politics, but he is stone hero for what he did in Viet Nam. Anybody that refused release and suffered the torture is a hero.

Art

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    We've got something in common, I don't like his politics either.

An old friend was a shipmate of his and an A4 pilot. They both survived the "Forrestfire".

24. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #99 bill365, Jan 22, 2010