Milestone Motorcycles | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Milestone Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Dec 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    The Hayabusa is a fine motorcycle, but really it is a bit of a one trick pony. It is 150lbs too heavy, it doesn't go around a corner well and the looks are "debateable". Yes it makes a good hot rod, but as a milestone bike? Not sure about that. I've noticed, most people who are big Hayabusa fans aren't actual motorcyclist, which I have always thought interesting ( starboy444, not to say you aren't). Because most sportbike riders/ recers I know, do not rate it very high. And yes, I have ridden them many times.

Darrell.

2. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    I'd say the Hayabusa is a milestone. It became the bike by which others in the niche are measured. It stomped the ZX-11 flat (the bike that ruled the niche before it), it became THE go to bike on the Salt Flats if you wanted to get close to 200mph, also became THE go to bike if you wanted to get into the 9's at the friday night drags, and spurred the development of bikes from other manufacturers. Its engine is widely used in Land Speed Racing in just about everything in the 1350cc class, cars, trucks, lakesters, bikes, streamliners... everything.

The ZX12 and ZX14 were made specifically to compete with the Hayabusa.

one trick pony? Sure. Its a big GT sportbike, but it DEFINED the niche.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i agree...the busa must be considered ugly to most. it is not the first point and shoot bike...that would likely be the gixer 1100, zx-11 or??

honda...v-45 interceptor.

96 gixer 750 is a milestone bike as it simply changed the racing game...i remember that you could race a supersport 750 and be competititve in virtually every heavyweight class including f-usa.

ducati notables would be the og 851 or 888 and clearly the 916. the 916 from a style stand point renders the mv not significant (although i love them!!!)

bimota...tesi.

4. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    That a good way of putting it.

Lets not forget the Honda CB1100 XX Blackbird as being the first Japanese "legal land rocket", the 'Busa was made to compete with this, but in doing so Suzuki set the true benchmark for performance, thus defining the niche as ChopTop said. When the Busa' came out, it made the Blackbird look and feel like a slug.

5. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Busa ugly? Sure to some.

Shaped in the wind tunnel. Pretty slippery shape. Again, speaks to its class defining preformance.

we are talking milestones, not beauty contest.

6. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

i would remind you again of the 96 gixer w/ the first really nasty aero tail section. the busa is by no means the first aero package. i'm not trying to argue chop...just pushing back a little bit...and only a little.

i enjoy and am in violent agreement on nearly all your posts/comments.

happy holidays my friend!!!

pcb

7. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I'd love to see a pic of those 3 bikes together

8. starboy444

starboy444 F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Lucas
    I will try and make it happen... I've got 2 of the 3, (missed out on the RC45, my friend got it before I could :()

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Dale,

Meet me in Birmingham one weekend and I'll treat you to the Barber museum. Bill, you're welcome too.

Merry Chirstmas my friend,
    Erik

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks, I actually finally made this last summer. For several hours, I was running back and forth between the floors. I would have loved to go behind the green doors on the bottom floor!

Dale

11. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Dale;

I bought one of the first CB750s in 69. Bought to go production racing in the AFM. At the time, there were 5 guys fighting in the class: Kerker (of pipe fame), Manly, Simmons, McGivery (only one not on a Norton, he rode for Johnny' BSA in Bakersfield), and Jerry Greene.

When I showed up with the Honda, it was box stock, and the tires didn't work well, but it sure would out horsepower them. I consistently finished 3rd or 4th. After about the first 3 races, I went to K81 tires, and starting fighting for the lead. After the first season, I put an 810 kit into it, and gutted the pipes (they were almost gutted as stock). At that point in time Steve McLaughlin showed up, and the two of us would fight for the lead in the races, with the British crap, following.

Never won that class championship, but finished second more than once. The last time was in 72 when Reggie Pridmore beat me out by one point on his BMW.

A definite landmark bike, and I sure wish I had that one back.

Art

12. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
  13. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Was the original ZX11 in there somewhere? If I remember correctly, it didn't even have a fuel gauge!!! Loved that bike in all black...

14. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #39 yzee, Dec 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a bad pic of a zero mile example I took 12/23. Was on display, now in storage. One of the first in the country with the sand cast motor.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. andreas

andreas Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    Hollister, Ca .
    Full Name:
    Andreas Abramson
    #40 andreas, Dec 26, 2006
  16. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Honda Superblackbird.

There is a very good reason why they are still in production today. And I bet it's the bike you end up using most out of all those in your collection!

17. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Identical to the one that I had, right down to the color (until I crashed it the first time, then it got re-painted. Those sand cast motors didn't last, the chains would come off, but Honda would replace them with the die cast under warranty. The trick pieces were the pipes (almost no baffles) and the heads, where the ports were much better than the later die cast heads.

I'd keep that bike forever....

Art

18. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    do you make it out to the Jan. Vegas auction?

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I appreciate all the comments. Time permitting, I'm gonna sit down and revisit my thoughts. The more I think about this, the more I like the "Milestone" idea. That is, what cars or motorcycles changed our world as opposed to the ones that may be the most rare or valuable.

Using Ferrari as an example, clearly the 250 GTOs are the most valuable and desired Ferraris. However, which Ferraris were Milestone cars? Again, I'm not talking about technical marvels or rare unobtainium cars. I'm talking about those Ferraris that captured a generation's imagination and lust.

If I had to choose, I'd say that one of the least valuable Ferraris, a 308, is the best candidate for a Milestone car. For many of us, including me, a 308 is the first Ferrari that we ever saw in the flesh or heard going down the road.

Next on the list might be the 360. I think that the 360 has probably attracted more people to the brotherhood than any other Ferrari.

Going back to motorcycles, I'm gonna say (because it is my party) that the first Milestone motorcycle was the 1965 Honda 90. For many of us, our first ride on a motorcycle was a Honda 90 (or maybe a Honda 50). I know it was for me.

Again, time permitting, I'll work on the rest of the list.

Dale

20. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    308 - Good choice.

I would add the TR and F40 as milestones as well. :)

21. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Chop, you and Art scroll down to the R/50 BMW Resto thread below. More pics. I said I was going to a party and would get you pics. Those all belong to my best friend and that stuff is all either in back or upstairs in storage at a new MC dealership. We are friends with Marc Amdursky, Director of the AMA Museum in Columbus Several have been on loan there. The owner of the bikes roadraced AMA EBC Endurance series at the national level in the 80's with some podium finishes. I had a WERA licence I never did much with.

Always went to the J.Wood Auctions in the East during the 80's. Back when there was a lot of stuff for sale. Back when the Brits were buying 30-40 Brit Bikes at a time to ship home because there were more in the US than across the pond. Back when they drug Indians on stage with locked up motors. Now it's few and far between. I am going to the Champ Car race in Vegas in April.

22. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    http://www.ahrma.org/machines/bikes3.htm Dale take a look at all 6 pages of this site. It has some real milestone motorcycles on it. I found about 6 like I have owned at one time or another.......

23. Arcaneman

Arcaneman Rookie

Feb 7, 2007
    Just happen to run into your post while looking for a bike on your list. Seems that we agree for the most part. I would add the first Honda that started the Japanese invasion. The 1959 C100 Honda 50 Cub, and also the 1979 Honda CBX (6 cyl), 1965 HD FL Electra-Glide off top of my head. At anyrate thought you might want to see one or two on the list I have managed to aquire over the years. Also I just bought a 68 DT-1, 1995 Ducati 916 that should arrive in a couple weeks. Check my link out for a few pictures. Also there is a sub-folder "Barber Museum: it has over 250 photos of the motorcycle musem in Brimingham. A must see for anyone interested in the old bikes. http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j304/arcaneman/

Would love to have a Ferrari to chat about but guess I will stick to 2 wheels for now.

Best regards
    M. Hall (Oklahoma)

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #49 Wade, Feb 12, 2007
  25. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Wow! I didn't even realize the P-Cola had a duck dealer. Besides Scenic Highway, where else is there to ride?

Dale