Mileage Anxiety | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Mileage Anxiety

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by MaranelloDave, Nov 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Drive that sucker. It is, after all, a car, and they are made to be driven. If it were a piece of sculpture, sit around and admire it while sipping wine.

2. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    When you die, it all stays here.

3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Okay, stupid question: Why is it that older Ferraris always seem to have speedos stuck at 20 mph?

4. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    You know, I never really noticed that. I have no idea.

5. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I have a 08 scud for two years now,bought with 2800 miles now with 9000 miles and I store it for the winter. I will go over 10,000 miles when I take it out this spring. This is my first f-car and I have read this site for 6 or more years and it values low milage cars highly. So of course adding miles was a hurdle I had to clear and it was not easy. But I love to drive the scud and I am getting over the milage phobia. Crank it up.

6. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Not just Ferraris. There was a period when many speedos didn't go below twenty.

7. Knightrider

Knightrider Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2013
    United States
    More driving = more enjoyment and experiences driving a "super car' most only dream of.

Life is short, live it with no regrets. Drive it, and if it depreciates a little more, it's the cost of the extreme enjoyment these cars bring. I'll work harder to earn a little more, so I can play more and not worry about it. After all, you've earned it! It would be a shame to deprive yourself of the enjoyment of this car after you did everything you had to do to obtain it!

My best friend (since high school) has stage 4 prostate cancer, and it has really woken me up to realizing that we are not here forever, and that I should live life to the fullest. He invested heavily into collectibles instead of taking trips or buying nice cars, and he regrets it now. Seeing what he's going through has made me look at things much differently for sure. Don't deprive yourself of living life to the fullest (within reason, of course)!

Don't let the mileage stress you out!! I know I'm not going to!

8. PVEferrari

PVEferrari Formula Junior

If you want to look at an F-car, buy a 1:18 model or poster,
    otherwise, drive it as it was meant to be.

Perhaps you aren't quite ready to own an F-car financially if your mind is preoccupied w/
    costs of depreciation, maintenance, repairs, insurance, gas, etc.

Enjoy the drive!!!

9. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Let he who is without mileage cast the first stone. ;)

10. bldscud

bldscud Karting

Aug 19, 2011
    Washington DC Area
    I have an 2008 Scud with almost 17,000 miles. I bought it to drive, and decided before I bought it that I would only buy it if I did not worry excessively about driving it. I know the miles reduce the value, at least some, but I consider that part of the price I pay for all the fun I have with it. I am willing to pay that price.

11. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    IMHO you need to buy a higher mileage example, your ownership experience of this particular car will always be tainted. If you don't drive it you feel guilty about not using the car, if you do drive it you worry about adding the miles. You can't win.

The only thing you should be worried about when stepping into a car like a scud is how long after the drive the corners of your mouth will ache from grinning so much.

You own the car, don't let the car own you.

12. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Not true, you know going in the car is tainted so why worry. Driving experience is greater than depreciation

13. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    The Napolis tag says all you need to know...

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    ^
    What he said.
    You don't have to buy into the madness.

15. Bulldozer27

Bulldozer27 Karting

Jan 29, 2005
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Would the mods please make this thread a sticky? Every new Ferrari owner should read this. I had struggled with this same dilemma since acquiring mine a month ago, but after reading the sage advice here, I'm no longer bothered by the 700 miles put on it in that time. In fact, those have been the most enjoyable 700 miles of my life.

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    There's some truth to that. If you have a few million in the bank, buying another F430 to replace the one you used up would of no concern whatsoever.

Why would all my cars end up in Montreal?

17. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    There is a very fine needle the indicator arm rests against.

It is not magic nor defective.

18. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The question being asked though is:

Why does the indicator arm point to 20mph when it's resting against the "very fine needle", and not 0mph?

The "needle" could have been located on the dial to allow the indicator arm to point to 0mph easily enough.

I suspect it's simply a case that, back in the day, nobody really needed to know if they were travelling at speeds below 20mph and because it's not going to read accurately below that speed anyway.

As for the whole mileage anxiety thing, a lot of owners are worried about re-sale values, whilst a lot of buyers are concerned with wear and tear on components, such as the engine, gearbox, suspension, clutch, cooling system etc., etc.

As the mileage racks up, the car becomes closer to needing major work carrying out to keep the car in it's prime.

By the same token, a car that has barely ever been driven can also end up being in need of major work due to lack of use.

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    All true which is why the odometer is only a rough guide to service intervals.

20. Dr.B

Dr.B Karting

Sep 8, 2013
    Bullhead City AZ.
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I bought my 360 spider to drive it almost every day about 700 miles a month although I have some concerns about resale that's not going to stop me from enjoying what the car was intended to do. Somebody once said " not to drive it would be like marrying the virgin prom queen and saving her for the next guy to enjoy"

21. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    back in the day one bought a car to enjoy as much as time allowed, no one was concerned about how many miles they put on their car, that was before the collector craze came in, inflation of new car prices and Ferrari became a fashion statement allowing for posers with thin bank accounts to join the parade... we drove our, now mega million F cars, as much as possible without any concern for mileage... then all of a sudden the value of cars stopped depreciating and owners noticed they could have an F car, drive it a bit, then sell it for more than was paid... enter the car flippers and the new paradigm about limiting the miles driven... back in the day most who bought F cars who could afford to drive them until the wheels fell off... unfortunately times have turned F car owners into "clock watchers" instead of enthusiasts

nicholasn likes this.
  22. bernardo66

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    Not all of us are clock watchers. ;)

23. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    The story goes that Enzo wanted the cars to seem as if they are moving even when they weren't.

True? Who knows but it sounds like a harmless quirk he could put into a car. Same with the unbalanced exhaust at idle.

Besides as mentioned, who needs to know how fast they are going below 20mph?

24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Dave, you answered your own question.
    It's not a collectible.

If it makes you feel any better, I have 14k miles on my 16M.

The first month I picked it up, 3 close buddies and I took about a 1000 mile round trip in it from SoCal to NorCal to see the Monterey car show, Italiano Concourso, etc. It was my first time there and the whole trip was epic.

Right now I'm typing this in bed at the Ritz in Laguna Niguel - my wife drove us down in the 16M, top down.

Create those memories.

25. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    Yup, agree with creating memories. I have 38k miles on my FGT. I'm the original owner. Probably gonna be in my estate.
    The CS I owned was fun. Bought it with 7500 miles and 3 years later sold it with 15000 miles. Cost me a bit in depreciation but I had fun. I rationalized that I basically leased it for 3 years.

Modern Ferrari's are mileage sensitive. No one drives them so the market is flooded with a bunch of low mile cars that either were traded in or are up for sale privately. You gotta accept that a higher mileage car is going to bring less $.

I got a Carrera GT earlier this year. It had 8000 on the odo. Now at 9400 and probably will go over 10k soon. I'm gonna service it and drive it. I'll own it long term and mileage won't concern me.