Might sue, attorney recommendations? | FerrariChat

Might sue, attorney recommendations?

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by warrenn, May 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. warrenn

warrenn Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2004
    LA for now,NJ really
    Messy situation with one of my clients. To sum it up.. did consulting work, they never paid. Have proof that we did the work. This happened about a year and a half ago, didn't want to sue them then because we were still working with them. No longer working with them so considering a suit to get what they owe us. Monetary amount is around $30k, but as I have heard that they did this to some of their other vendors, I think it has a possibility of becoming class action? They are a big wireless company, so with damages, interest and all may be able to get more? Also, the manager in charge at the time we were working with them is no longer with the company, I don't know if this will help or hurt our case.

Questions
    1) Even if we have a great chance of winning is it worth my time?
    2) Will the $ I receive just go to the attorneys?
    3) Can anyone recommend a good attorney to handle this case?

I'm located in Pasadena by the way so looking for an attorney nearby.

THANKS!

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    ping ryalex

3. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    Questions
    1) Even if we have a great chance of winning is it worth my time? <-- Yes ..contact Attorney. It is worth your time. Since it's a large amount, you should be able to get punitive damages
    2) Will the $ I receive just go to the attorneys? <-- You will get your money plus Attorney Fees
    3) Can anyone recommend a good attorney to handle this case? <-- Call 818-553-8074 Ask for Scott (Tell him Uzy Malik (Vadeem's client) Referred you).

I'm located in Pasadena by the way so looking for an attorney nearby.

I was in the same situation a few years ago (also a company in Pasadena)....I contacted an attorney ...We went to court and reached an agreement 10 minutes before our case was called.
    I got my back pay, plus legal fees.

Good Luck .....Let us know how it turns out!!!!

Thanks,
    UZY

4. Kruger

Kruger Karting

Dec 31, 2007
    Alta Loma, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Well, First It wouldn't be a class action and "you don't want it to be". Your attorney may mention it but probably wont qualify to C.A. His interest for a C.A. is more money in his pockets. Besides you want to get your money, you don't care about the other money owed to the vendors and if its CA (large amount) you may not get your cut till way down the line. So file yours suet (smaller amount) so that can get your easy 30-40k Max + Attorneys n get out. All expenses to be paid by the debtor.

NOW THE DISCLOSURE: I may have some experience in law, but by all means I'm am not an attorney, nor rendering legal advice in anyway shape or form. This is not a guarantee of an outcome nor results of any case to either party. I do not acknowledge that this is a real scenario, nor have any knowledge of either party existence or where abouts.....So seek legal advice not through here but through attorneys.

Hope You Recover!

5. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Wow, sounds like you slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night (LOL)

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I'm not an attorney. But I have been a working CPA for more years than I care to admit. Here's what Iearned in similar situations.

1. If you are a contractor, the key will be the engagement letter or contract. You will live and die by this. Don't get confused by employment law, which is much stronger for the employee.

2. If the dollar amount is high, odds are they will counter sue for malpractice or whatever.

3. Can you say retainer? After learning the hard way, this train don't roll until somebody puts some coal in the burner.

Dale

7. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    If your contract is good.

If it is truly a big wireless company,

Find the biggest, best business/contract law firm you can. Don't go in with Joe shomo down the street. Go in there with a big name.

Pay them 5k retainer for sending out a demand letter.

Settle.

Big companies will pay less than what they figure the cost of defense is going to be. I would suspect if they even called a lawyer it would be over $30k, more like $60K, just to fight it, even if they win. Settle for 45k call it a day.

Make sure your attorney is not a wimp.

8. BLUROAD

BLUROAD F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2006
    Tustin Ranch, Cali
    Full Name:
    Enrico Pollini
    "I know a Guy..."

9. roccoriley

roccoriley Karting

Jun 24, 2007
    So Cal
    Just save your questions for a lawyer. There are really too many unknowns about your specific case for anyone to be able to respond intelligently to you and, anyhow, this is a Ferrari forum and you need good legal advice.