Might buy a computer from a friend-Need Help | FerrariChat

Might buy a computer from a friend-Need Help

Discussion in 'Technology' started by YellowS2KVTEC, Mar 8, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. YellowS2KVTEC

YellowS2KVTEC Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    Hey so I might buy a comp from a friend. And I figured some of you guys here know much more about the specs than I do. He says its got only about 15hrs of use on it.

It has

Corei7 processor

X58 sli le motherboard
    700w power supply
    6gb ddr3 memory (1600mhz)
    500gb Sata Hard drive
    Lightscribe DVD rw

and the graphics card... he has a couple at his house

gts 450
    or
    Gtx 285 oc

Not sure what I should do. Would this be a good setup for some gaming and mostly photography. I want it to be capable for most games.

Also what should I do about graphics card?

Any info helps

Hes asking 650 but im sure I can get him down from there.

2. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    #2 430man, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
    All prices newegg.

Corei7 processor- Starting about $270 at newegg

X58 sli le motherboard - $111 recertified
    700w power supply - Could be 20 buck psu for all I know. But assume minimum of $60
    6gb ddr3 memory (1600mhz) ~$90
    500gb Sata Hard drive -- Minimum $40 bucks
    Lightscribe DVD rw -- I dunno probably 20 bucks will get it not worth looking.

-----------------------
    270 + 111 + 60 + 90 + 40 + 20 = $591 with no case or case fans.

and the graphics card... he has a couple at his house

gts 450
    or
    Gtx 285 oc

====================

Here's my thing. 500gb drives are sooooo 2007. (or maybe 2008) That mother board is no longer in production. ... So unless he purposely spec'ed a cheap computer, I'm having trouble figuring the 15 hours of use thing.

Not that it matters. Unless it runs hot, the hours on it really is of no concern. No cam belts to change. ;)

It sounds like a good box, the one place I think it is skimpy is the HD. 500gb is just not that big. Having said that, if you're not doing video, even large photos will take a while to fill up a half a TB.

As for the video card, if either comes in the price, I think you're doing ok. With the Gtx 285 oc probably being better.

If you have the skills to build your own, you could probably built one with better specs for less money. But I'm assuming if you had those skill you wouldn't be asking this question. ;-)

All things considered, not a bad deal especially if Windows is installed and it comes with a graphics card, I'd say get it.

3. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You can always add another 500GB drive for next to nothing and it's quite easy.

4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just be certain to install a 64-bit OS or that 6gb of RAM will actually only be 3gb.
    32-bit OS cannot address greater than 3.6 gigs (depending on BIOS - could be
    as low as 3.25 GB - and Windows 7 apparently uses some memory-swapping tricks
    and can support up to 4 GB, again depending on BIOS - this motherboard is older,
    so most likely you're not going to see more than 3 GB with a 32-bit OS)

Jedi

5. YellowS2KVTEC

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    #5 YellowS2KVTEC, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
    Thanks a lot for the input guys.

Is there an issue with the Motherboard being old? Any downfalls of this?

I agree 500GB isnt a ton but I do have a 500GB External HD at my house right now.

Im really torn on the graphics card and the price is with on of those cards, or less if I get it without and buy my own. Any opinions on this?

I think I have the skill to build one myself, about how much would is it for the case and whatnot?

He said it comes with Windows 7 home premium. Is this 64? Or would there be an issue with that?
    --------------------------

Not sure what else I need to ask, im sure I have many more questions. So any information will help a lot. Thanks guys

6. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I'd build new.

$650 + $170 for a passably decent GPU and you are at $820.

Just glancing at stuff on Newegg and you can put together a PC using top quality components for $975, shipping not included.

Core i5 2500
    Gigabyte mainboard
    8GB Corsair ram
    1TB 7200 RPM HDD
    ATI 6850 or NVIDIA 460 1GB
    Seasonic Power Supply
    Nice case
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64

7. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    If you think you have the skills to build, you might check Toms Hardware or similar and see if they built a system lately you like and you can steal the component list.... Or start with a newegg barebones config.

The big thing is that you want to make sure your processor and your memory actually work with your motherboard. (the little things in life ;-) If you post your wishlist, I'll double check it for compatibility before you order.

And if you do build your own ORDER ARTIC SILVER 5 thermal paste DO NOT use the stuff that comes with the processor. Also, unless you're overclocking or using a very small case, just use the processor fan that comes with a retail processor. (if you order the OEM processor it does not come with a fan so you need to buy that separately)

As for as the mobo you're looking at being DCed, it really matters not.

Every Windows 7 (except the stupid starter edition) is 64 bit.

If it comes with the graphics card and Windows 7, it's a very good deal. Not like "OMG that's incredible" deal... but a good deal.

Unless you want to tinker with the hardware, you're probably better off just buying this one.

8. YellowS2KVTEC

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks a lot guys, you are really helping me. Some of this informations is really hard to find just searching the internet. I could build my own but from looking at prices of things it would be a little more expensive and to be honest I shouldnt be doing this computer thing anyway so I am trying to save money.

His setup will come with the gts 450 or the gtx 285 oc my choice... and will have windows 7 on it. I am trying to save a little money so it seems if I can get him down a little bit it may be worth my while?

Also I mentioned to him that they dont make that motherboard anymore and he disagreed...

It seems like a good setup and I am really leaning towards just doing it especially if I can get him down a little bit.

Any help with the graphics card situation? I could get it with either of the ones mentioned above or for cheaper without one and put it in myself... Not sure what would be best and from searching the internet it seems like there are mulitple different opinions and its driving me nuts!

Thanks again guys

9. 4REphotographer

4REphotographer F1 Veteran

Oct 22, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'd go for it, you could probably do cheaper, but you're not getting ripped off and you don't have to build it yourself.

10. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    #10 430man, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
    Get it with the Gtx 285. To me this is approaching "no-brainer" territory.

That card is still going for ~$175 on fleabay.

11. YellowS2KVTEC

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    Alright thanks, I think I will go for it as long as everything seems to check out ok.

I might ask him if we can hook it up and play with it before I buy anything.

Is there anything specific I should look for?

Thanks for answering all my questions.

12. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    #12 430man, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
    Not really, computers aren't like cars... they just sorta run till they don't. As long as it does not make any weird noises you're probably good.

The one thing I would do is run prime95 on it for about 20 minutes and make sure the CPU temp stays below 150 F (MAX MAX MAX) 125 F is my personal upper limit but I design my systems around the cooling. - If you can run prime95 overnight, then you're really giving it a workout.

I believe wikipedia has some info on prime95 stress testing or you can google it.

Edit: good info on wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime95#Use_for_stress_testing

13. YellowS2KVTEC

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks guys that really helps. Ill end up checking it for sure.

Heres the update...
    Just settled with him for $655 with the tower and a monitor. Heres the spec

CPU: Intel Core i7 930 ($289)
    Motherboard: EVGA x58 SLI LE ($250)
    RAM: Super Talent 6GB DDR3 (1600MHZ) ($109)
    Hard Drive: 500gb Western Digital (brand new, $59)
    Optical: Light scribe Dvd-RW($35)
    Graphics: EVGA Nvidia GTX 460($199 brand new)
    PSU: 850W Corsair Nvidia SLI edition(ready for SLI, more than one graphics card)($159 brand new)
    Case: Cool Master Storm Scout ($89)

Comes with Windows 7 Premium 64 bit loaded on.
    Monitor Asus vk266/vw266 (1920x1200 resolution) ($299)

That all adds up to about 1300 bucks.

Seems like a great deal. What do ya think? Might be picking it up tomorrow.

14. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    With the monitor, it's a GREAT deal.

Back up your files/vides/pics regularly.

15. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    I geeze I missed the monitor in his last post... NO BRAINER.

Since this is bumped, what did you decide OP?

16. YellowS2KVTEC

Apr 12, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    I bought it!

Im absolutely loving it so far. Its sooooo quick, can handle any game and the monitor is massive.

Thanks for all the help guys it really helped.

17. 430man

430man Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2011
    Thank goodness, I was afraid you were going to miss an opportunity there. Really, that was a steal, enjoy it.