Mick Schumacher | Page 27 | FerrariChat

Mick Schumacher

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Aug 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    14 races so far (2 per round), 3 wins for the rookie Schwarztman, none yet for his team mate Schumacher Jr in his second season.

jpalmito likes this.
  2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yet the rumors are now that he'll be joining the Hulk at Alfa next year. We'll see.

3. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Who ? Schwartzman ? o_O

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Mick.

5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What about Schwartzman and Illot, both of Ferrari Driving Academy, who are ahead of Schu Jr?

jpalmito likes this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I know.....I know......c'mon, William, you know how this goes.

tifosi12 and william like this.
  7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I saw the rumors as well... I think its a mistake for Schumacher to go to F-1 without a solid season in F2... but Ferrari have a way of sucking the life blood out of you... so i hope I'm wrong... but fear I'm not. if he goes with Alfa Sauber... he can only do ok at best... and if he is miserable and last every race ... he's done for.

jpalmito, jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    You are assuming F1 is meritorious in choosing new drivers to enter the upper echelon.
    You should adjust your thinking.

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, I have been often accused to be too logical.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

IS ROBERT SHWARTZMAN THE NEXT FERRARI PRINCE?

https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/09/01/is-robert-shwartzman-the-next-ferrari-prince/

Mick Schumacher has always been touted as Ferrari’s next big thing. But after Robert Shwartzman’s dominant F3 campaign, straight into a confident campaign in F2, could the Russian be next in line to the throne?

20-year-old Robert Shwartzman was born on September 16th 1999 in Saint Petersburg. The Russian has spent most of his life racing, as is custom these days. having started karting aged five, Robert jumped into Italian Formula 4 machinery in 2014.

Shwartzman has been a part of Prema Racing since 2018’s FIA Formula 3 European Championship where he was partnered with Mick. Robert came into the season off the back of a third-place in Formula Renault Eurocup. His two wins and eleven poles were enough to finish the year in third, but ultimately it was Mick who swept the season with eight wins and 14 podiums.

While Mick jumped right into FIA Formula 2 with Prema, Schwartzman made the horizontal jump to FIA F3. The upgrade seemed to come too soon for Mick with his only podium a reverse grid win in the Hungarian sprint race.

The remainder of the season was average at best for Mick, only amounting to 12th in the standings. Shwartzman used his previous F3 knowledge to his strengths. He finished each race bar two (a P8 and a DNF) in the top five including three wins and ten podiums.

Robert Shwartzman has continued his hot run of form in 2020. Reunited with Schumacher at Prema’s F2 team, the 20-year-old earned himself a podium on debut at the Red Bull Ring before bettering his result a week later with a win in the Styrian feature race.

While Mick has improved on last season, it’s Shwartzman who looks to be wearing the boots in the current Prema lineup. The Russian presents a confident demeanour on track with a certain swagger that Schumacher is unable to rise to.

With three wins, what could have and maybe should have been four if it weren’t for a late collision between the pair at Silverstone 2, Shwartzman sits top of the pile in F2.

The success of Shwartzman leaves Ferrari in a difficult predicament. An Alfa Romeo seat that looked like it was to be reserved for Mick Schumacher really should be reserved for a driver with performance-based momentum on their side. Fellow Ferrari Driver Academy member Callum Ilott has also enjoyed some great success in 2020 but after a dismal time at Spa, has lost ground in the championship battle with Robert.

Shwartzman has the pace and the talent to make the jump when the call comes and instantly perform on the level required.

But with Ferrari themselves slower than Alfa Romeo at Spa Francorchamps, is now really the time to focus on the future of the Scuderia? The domestic issues at Ferrari should certainly be the priority before change is afoot elsewhere.

11. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yes, Schwartzman is a no brainer with his rookie status and accrued points in F2.

Mick looks like the likely candidate though. His last name alone is enough to get him into F1.

I'm voting for Schwartzman to get into F1 but not keeping my hopes up.

Here's the other thing, driving FOR Ferrari is quite different than driving WITH Ferrari...as Leclerc and soon Sainz will experience.

william likes this.
  12. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Shwarzman is the better of the 2. Without question. The feedback from Ferrari and Alfa have been clear on Mick so far. The attitude was there is no rush to place him.
    He has improved but he is not as good as the Russian overall. The name matter but more than results not yet. Mick is not as good a risk yet.

jpalmito likes this.
  13. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I agree schwartzman is doing a great job. But Schu is getting stronger too and is closing the gap in the points.

Right now, with Alfa and Ferrari cars being absolutely horrendous, I don’t think the driver is the biggest problem. So, for the PR advantages alone, I would still take Schu - at least for 1-2 seasons. The teams need positive news right now... and the PR zoo around Schumacher would be phenomenal. The sponsors would love that. They wouldn’t give too hoots about schwartzman.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Schumacher is very consistent, and his wheel to wheel racing is fantastic. I've had a few times this season that I was sure a big crash was about to happen but Mick just drove lap after lap perilously close to his opponent without any incident. That's a great skill.

If anything, he's playing the game a bit too safe. But then again, the current lower formula's now have such eyes on them by F1 scouts (and Mick in particular), the fast and reliable driver might get the quicker nod than the driver that wins 1 race and exists the next one somersaulting endlessly into grandstands, on fire.

15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    As always very well spoken!

Bas likes this.
  16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And Mick crashed.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    When ? Where ?

18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Is F1 about racing, or about PR ?

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Schumacher P7, Shwartsman P16

stavura and subirg like this.
  20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The "race" in F1 takes place back at the shop.
    Then they get together every couple of weeks to see who is making forward progress faster.

DF1 likes this.
  21. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    When the cars at Ferrari and Alfa are such no hopers it doesn’t matter who the driver is - just ask Le clerc. So my point remains valid - who can deliver better PR, and hence positive financial impact to the team? The answer is Schumacher. Obvious really.

Senna1994 likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I really don't think Ferrari or Alfa are struggling for money. So the PR effect is much exagerated here.

But being associated with a team in disarray has damaged a few promising career.

23. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

stavura, Igor Ound and william like this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Well done to Mick Schumacher who won this afternoon, his first win this season.
    That pushes him to the 3rd place in the ranking, only 3 points from his team mate Schwartzman who only finished 9th today, but is still leading.
    There will be another sprint race tomorrow.

Ferraripilot likes this.