Michigan - Summer Vacation | FerrariChat

Michigan - Summer Vacation

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by Gershwin, May 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Where would you suggest for a lakeside cottage/house w/ great fishing and water sports?

2. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    I lived on Spring Lake, and I'd say anywhere from there north will be great fun. Look at Lie-A-Lot charters in Luddington for super big water fishing with a real down to earth guide. Also there is a cool inland waterway perfect for touring in family sized boats that includes small locks and good inland fishing. I'm sure Google will find lots of cabins and boats avail on that waterway.

http://www.irchamber.com/inlandwaterway.htm

http://www.liealot.com/

3. alum04org

alum04org F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2009
    Plymouth, MI
    Torch Lake in Antrim County. Deep, clean, tidey-bowl blue with cool sand bars to party on (take a lawn chair or three), run up the Clam River (Dockside Bar I think is the name of the bar there you can tie up to) or down into Skegemog and Elk Lakes. Great boating. Plenty of rentals in all cost categories, esp. in this economy. Have fun!

4. MuttGrunt

MuttGrunt Karting

Mar 3, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Full Name:
    Marc Harris
    +1. Torch Lake is quite nice. Close to Traverse but isolated enough to not worry about others. Lots of stuff available in that entire area

5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Perhaps somewhere near Leland or Omina? I dont do any fishing but they are on the water and I love it up there.

6. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Torch Lake is awesome, but anywhere in the Traverse City/Cheboygan area is good because you are close to many lakes, including Great Lakes, as well as Mackinac Island.

There are also nice places in the Irish Hills that are closer to KY. Also nice places along Lake Michigan like Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven, South Haven, etc.

My family and I will be spending time on the Huron River Chain of Lakes northwest of Ann Arbor where we used to live. Good friends, good boating, good times.

7. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    It's always funny to me what other people call "up north" ... it's almost always unique to where somebody grew up going up north at. Some people that live in areas like Livonia, or Down River etc. call Brighton "up north" ... others call Torch Lake "up north" and others yet don't think your far enough north until you are at Whitefish Point, or the Keywana Peninsula!

Personally, mine is Lake Charlevoix, but thats more like a home away from home. To me, I enjoy roughing it in the Hiawatha National Forrest, Paradice, MI, or nearby to Laughing Whitefish Falls. What a great state I live in!

8. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Aside from that little detail where it starts snowing in October and never stops until May. :)

9. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Be nice Bill. You may be back up here again some day.
    -Skip

10. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Since I took up downhill skiing this year, it's not quite so bad December through February anymore :)

11. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Actually trying real hard! Not too many jobs to bid up there these days. I have promised some folks I'll come visiting. Need to take my boat back up to Hardy Dam where the hot boats hang out and race at the sand bar.

12. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    I agree with your "Up North" comments, although I don't see how they apply to my post. His question was about Michigan. It didn't mention 'up north' and neither did my answer. My mom is from Ironwood, about 600 miles from Detroit. Now that is truly 'up north'!

13. Indy430

Indy430 Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    RJ
    I was lucky enough to marry into a family with a home in Grand Haven. SMS has already discussed Spring Lake which is right in Grand Haven as well. A very cool place to visit and stay with lots to do for the whole family.

14. Holland was really nice.

15. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Go for the gold guy! The UP is where it's at, we offer peace and quiet and just about any outdoor activity. If you want first class privacy take a look at acabinupnorth.com . We retired here from the Chicago area and the lack of cars on the road make driving a pleasure rather than a chore. NO F-car parts around so make sure your service is up to date!
    lostbowl

16. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Where the rivers merge in your neck of the woods is one of my greatest summer memories... :)

17. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Isaac,
    I have to ask which rivers do you refer to? Tom

18. BEisler

BEisler Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2006
    Carmel, IN
    I have been going to the UP since I was a kid. We go to Wilderness Bay Resort on Thousand Island Lake, Watersmeet Michigan. This is on the famous and enormous Cisco Chain of Lakes. I strongly recommend this area!

19. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #19 nthfinity, Jun 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
    The Ontonogan River, of course :)

But, making stops at places like Laughing Whitefish Falls, Copper Harbor, and a few other water falls besides the obvious.

20. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Isaac,
    We live on the Ontonagon river so if you are ever in the area give me a PM and ,if you care to, we can do lunch. I haven't seen another F-car up here yet. On the other hand if you have any problems I may be able to assist with help. Tom

21. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thank you to everyone that made suggestions.

The UP is absolutely incredible! I loved it and this will be an annual destination.

Thanks for the reccomendation of Wilderness Bay Resort we stayed for 3 days and loved the Cisco Chain. Son caught a 29 inch Walleye - first cast - WOW! A fish of a lifetime I told him.

We also hit Holland, Sutton's Bay, Traverse City, Manistee, South Haven and a host of other small towns along the way.

Michigan is Fantastic!!!!! - they just think I've got some kind of accent pf course I didn't see it that way;)

22. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    The UP has a lot going for it--pasties, Jilbert's Ice Cream, and memories of places where
    I spent my summers many years as a kid.

We are visiting the UP right now and the amount of property for sale is frightening.
    We did drive through Ontonagon County on the way across the UP and looked at
    the old family farm I am holding onto if it is ever time to build a cabin and escape
    the rat race.

-sc

23. zxttfan

zxttfan Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2009
    St. Louis
    The closest place I know that will service F-cars is DTS Enterprises in Ellsworth near Charlevoix

http://www.dtsenterprisesinc.com/

The owner was involved with either ASC or Cars and Concepts in Detroit for many years and usually has some interesting cars in for service and restoration.

24. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Hey guys heading back up to the UP this summer.

Need more suggestions of great fishing towns/ quite lakes. Other day trips and suggestions.

It has become a destination for us.

25. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #25 nthfinity, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    Did you do Castle Rock and the Pictured Rocks? Scuba Diving is crazy fun up near there too. Isle Royal would make a great trip.

While driving up, take D119 out of Harbor Springs to Cross Village; it is one of the greatest roads in the state... (sporting)

Really, IMO the waterfalls in the UP are some of the most beautiful things to see... there are a ton of them :)