Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for 360: Ordered • Installed • Fits! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for 360: Ordered • Installed • Fits!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Alpintourer, Oct 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    I have 19" CS Wheels and have been waiting on PS4S for the rear for almost 3 months. Michelin can't give an ETA, so I'm giving it one more shot on Monday and will go with the Conti ExtremeContact Sport if I can't get a straight answer from Michelin.

2. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Does it matter when it was made? Seriously, you know the known problems now and see what can happen. Are the savings worth it???

3. Performify

Performify Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    DOT code 01 / 20

4. Performify

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    For the record for the thread -- despite initially assuring me everything would be ok, 10 days in and Tire Rack support has not been able to help me yet.

long story short, Tire Rack is saying the failed tire is due to low pressure causing tread separation and not a manufacturing defect. I checked pressure on all four tires before leaving the house (and have surveillance video from my house doing so, even) and the tire failed exactly 26 miles into my drive, so the best they can come up with is that I hit something that caused near instantaneous deflation of the tire and then the tire separated. They've also tried to blame poor installation of the tire, e.g. a damaged bead or leaking valve stem, despite the tires being installed for a week and driven once ~ 66 miles during that week.

despite the Firehawks coming with a "90 day drive and try" warranty that indicates I can return them for any reason, that apparently only applies to a full set of four. So i've got to buy an additional tire to be able to return the three remaining. :rolleyes:

So I am currently pursuing a claim through Tire Rack's forcibly included road hazard insurance, which will pay the original cost of the tire (about $20 less than the cost of a new one since I got them on sale). Once I receive the replacement tire, i'll be able to return a complete set and get a refund... supposedly.

In the interim, i just went ahead and ordered the 4S and will install those next week. Assuming i ever get a refund for the originals, I'll use that for a set of track-ish tires for my F430 wheels... or something.

5. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Low tire pressure! That seems to be the first excuse a tire vendor offers for tire failure.

Take a look at the Wikipedia article on the Firestone tire debacle of the late 1990s, and the reasons offered by both Firestone and Ford as to why people were dying in the Explorers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy

People were dying and two corporate giants were trying to pin the blame and liability on each other. In the meantime, people continued to get injured until a comprehensive recall of the the defective tires took place.

KC360 FL and Performify like this.
  6. TheRealFlyingBear

Apr 27, 2020
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yikes...I may be pulling my Indy500 off and getting something else just to feel safe.

7. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    When I was young, I went with cheaper tires on my daily due to cost. Now, you couldn't get me to spend any less on my tires. Only part of my 360 spider that touches the road and I'm precious cargo! Michelin all the time on my cars.

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #108 Need4Spd, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    It took me longer than usual to put a few hundred miles on my P4S in the sizes here. I try not to evaluate tires until I’m past that mark because mold release compound can make any new tire slippery. The comparison tires were RE-11s in OEM sizes. I replaced them due to age (7+ years), as they still had tread left. They saw maybe two track days before I decided to stop tracking it in favor of another car.

My unscientific findings are that the P4S have more grip, ride better and are quieter, although it’s difficult to remember how the RE-11s were when new. The fit is perfect in that there is no fender well interference (I do have rolled fenders, though).

That said, turns taken hard seem to trigger intervention by the ASR stability control more readily, especially when getting on the throttle coming out of such turns. I don’t have the time or skill to look to see if any lights are flashing when doing this, but I can feel the system cut throttle.

My theory is that while the car drives well normally, the diameter difference front to rear from stock is on the edge of acceptability. The rears are smaller in diameter, which results in more revolutions per mile, so the system may interpret the extra speed of the rotation compared to the fronts as slip and cut back throttle accordingly. I have no way to prove this, however.

I will also note the differences front to rear are small. OEM are 25.6/26.7. These are 25.1/25.9. So maybe I just need more break-in miles.

It’s only mildly annoying and happens less in sport mode. I prefer not to turn off ASR completely unless I’m on a track, although that’s one way to overcome this.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Performify likes this.
  9. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Interesting about the size difference experience your having. I'm thinking of going to the p4s as my cup 2 all season are nearing 4+ years and seem a little slippery in the back. I never seem to hit the asr now. Keep me posted on those tires buddy! Cheers! Next drive? Let's go soon!

Need4Spd likes this.
  10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Update. After another 100+ miles, and more spirited curvy road driving, I’m not seeing the ASR intervention that I encountered earlier after the new tire swap. So all is well with these.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Kevin Rev'n and Performify like this.
  11. Performify

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 4, 2020
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Eric
    great to hear, thanks for the update @Need4Spd

I've got about 150 miles on my P4S and am very impressed. They're not the quietest tire i've ever owned but they're on a car that's already very aggressively loud and so a bit more feedback from the road directly isn't a bad thing. like you I haven't pushed mine yet until i complete breakin miles, but really enjoying them so far.

Need4Spd likes this.
  12. 8202632

8202632 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2017
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    CDC
    Where did y’all source your tires

13. 8202632

8202632 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2017
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    CDC
    Anyone that have used the 4s tires also have spacers?

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    TireRack.com. Drop shipped to local installer.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

15. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I have Pilot Sport 4S on all my 3 cars, just gives that extra confidence in the wet too

16. Trackjunkie1

Trackjunkie1 Karting

Aug 2, 2017
    Had the Pilot Sport 4S installed and here are my initial feeling.

Car feels more lively. Sometimes to the point that it feels too darty. Maybe that's how these cars are supposed to feel like and I just need to get used to it. Also, my old tires were OLD and that may contribute to them feeling a little lazy. They do feel more compliant, and the grip is good.

Again, just my opinion. I'm still running a set of Super Sports on the Maserati and I really like those. Hopefully the 360 and I start to jell with the 4S.

17. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

I replaced the OEM tires (Goodyear) on my Z06 with the PS2s and the difference was night and day. The PS2s are quieter and they stick like bubble gum on hot asphalt in Georgia in July. Wear is acceptable even with aggressive driving. My 2007 430 was delivered with the period (2007) Bridgestone tires. As soon as they show a hint of wear I am replacing them with PS2., Not the Cup tire, because they last about a week ;).

Ray

18. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am reeeeaaaalllyyy close to pulling the trigger on these tires. I just checked and I had popped in this thread back a few pages but I moved houses and life got in the way and all that hassle and I haven't put many miles on my car the last two years but I am ready to drive more and am thinking about tires. My car, I believe is slightly lowered, which is my only concern about these tires. My fenders are not rolled "much" but there is some relief in the wheel arch that I put in due to small rubber grabs taking place over garbage street designs with my stock Pirellis.

I used to experience a lot of ASR cutouts and stutters in power delivery with new Pirellis on the roads I use too until I discovered the ASR OFF button! Much better and as you know the car is so well balanced and precise that driving on the street with some tire chirps over say wet street paint or some gravel areas of imbalance is no trouble in the 360 and very welcome feedback! I might be more tame than a lot of you guys but ASR OFF is the way I let the car be the car and I am the control module. I see a few posts later you were having less ASR Nanny overrides but wanted to say don't sweat ASR OFF in sporty street conditions... Unless you are young and think the car is the fastest thing on the road and feel the need to prove it. my .02

19. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    they are the BEST unless you are a track guy

20. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    My '01 Modena came to me with Conti Extreme Contact DW Tuned in 225/45 front and 285/40 rear on Challenge BBS wheels, which drive perfectly with my mild habits, and with no rubbing. These are about to be replaced, likely with PS 4S's. The drift of this thread suggests that most users are using PS 4S 225/40 front and 285/35 rear; why not the /45 and /40 that I now have, and what if any difference would I notice with the former?

21. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Did you replace them with the 225/45 and 285/40?

22. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Tire Rack was purchased by Discount Tire December, 2021

So purchasing from either is the same deal

23. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    Yes. Great tires, and as before, no rubbing or other issues.

Some Guy in the sky likes this.
  24. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I’m running a 4S 255 front and 325 rear with no rub issues at all. Also running CS suspension so the car sits lower

Need4Spd likes this.
  25. Mrjb

Mrjb Karting

Jan 12, 2022
    Bit of a thread resurrection… have started looking for pilot 4s in the sizes specified in the opening post and can’t seem to find the front size in stock. Is there some shortage now?

Anyone in the uk know of any suppliers with the ps4s in 225/40?