Michelin all seasons toast after 29K miles? | FerrariChat

Michelin all seasons toast after 29K miles?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Husker, May 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    My wife has a 2019 Lexus RX 350 that we bought brand new. It has 29K miles and the Michelins are almost bald. We've rotated them as scheduled and there is no alignment issue. I've never had to replace a Michelin earlier than 50K miles. Do I have a warranty claim?

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    buy conti dws06 tires. i like them a lot.

Face76 likes this.
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Today's tire performance expectations are significantly different than let's say 20+ years ago when it was still relatively common to see tires last 40K - 50K miles or in some cases, even more.
    I've had some tires lasting over 70K miles, but that was few decades ago and I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturer regretted making them.

Based on my limited experience* and observations, along with discussing these issues with friends, both in Europe and US, with several decades in the tire retail/service businesses, 30K-35K miles seems common today.
    With softer compound, "high performance" tires, those figures can easily be cut in half or more.

*Last few sets I've bought/used in my daily drivers (1/2-ton pickups), properly maintained sets seemed to have lasted 30K-35K miles and my current, 4 years old (another 1/2-ton) truck with OEM installed, regularly rotated "All season/M+S" Michelins have about 28.5K miles on them and I expect to replace them around 30K.

4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    For some unknown reason, OEM supplied tires don't seem to last as long as those bought at a tire shop.

Also, Michelin makes about 10 different varieties of the AS tire ( just bought a set in March). Replaced a set of Bridgestones at 35K that were starting to look ratty and might have made it to 40K, but I didn't want to take that bet.

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Another example:
    I still recall seeing one of those ‘05 or ‘06 Ford GT’s on its OEM tires in a clients collection and at +/-3K miles since new, tires looked like 75-80% worn out.
    Knowing the owner, his cars/collection and that he purchased the GT new, it was probably never driven even “spiritedly”, let alone “aggressively”.

6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    read the fine print. pro-rated blah blah blah. :rolleyes: good luck :p

7. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

Ohh make no mistake their are tire blends and if manufacturers want quiet grippy tires... They get them from the factory. When they wear out it's your problem to replace them. How many cars have the mandated star or symbol to identify it as a Porsche certified tire or bmw approved etc... You can buy them with or without the approval from the tire supplier.

Good luck returning a lease without the proper marking on the tire even if the tires are brand new and same make and model. They must have the marking or you will get charged.