MIAMI VICE TESTAROSSA RECENTLY FOUND | Page 11 | FerrariChat

MIAMI VICE TESTAROSSA RECENTLY FOUND

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by REALMUSCLE1, Feb 17, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    Holy crap, it just sold for only $138K !!!! I would've bought it for that

2. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    How is that price even possible ????

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think I said tops 200k earlier in the thread..well I guess I over estimated.

4. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    I am in shock. I could have bought it for myself for that amount. Incredible deal. Consignor must be throwing up all over the stage.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Doubt it..he made money. I'll bet he bought it for well under 100k.

6. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    I agree 100%

7. Ferrari 641

Ferrari 641 Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2010
    maybe the bidders never believed he would sell it at no reserve, esp. since he wanted 1.75 million on eBay.

8. Ferrari 641

Apr 18, 2010
    I was told directly by the pawn shop owner that the loan was 30 thousand, which the real estate developer defaulted on, who owned the car.

9. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Is this the $1+ million eBay car? Also, is this the same TR that went to auction (actually, I think multiple auctions) in the past and got bids that were several times higher than this latest winning bid but didn't sell at the earlier auctions because the reserve price was not met? If so, this seller must be fit to be tied right about now.

10. Ferrari 641

Apr 18, 2010
    Yes, it is. I think it was listed on eBay at least three, if not four times..it also went to auction at least twice before..I really believe, after talking to the seller, that since the swap shop owner publicly stated he would not sell his for one million dollars, that was Peter's price point.

11. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Exotics NEVER do well at Barrett-Jackson. If your selling an exotic do NOT take it there. If you are looking to buy an exotic - GO THERE. I also think it's highly unethical when the auction officials complain to the audience...when the bidding doesn't reach what they think it should....that is just disgusting. That is a conflict of interest, since higher selling prices mean more money for B-J....turns my stomach. Yet I still watch the show...

12. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    This is crazy. I guess the lack of COA might be the link to the story.

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #263 samsaprunoff, Jan 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

According to the B-J Website it sold for $151800 USD including Buyer Commission.

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    And did it REALLY sell? Still remember several years ago when Keith Martin, publisher of Sports Car Market magazine did a big article about the shams at car auctions. Keith , in particular, pointed out the FACT, buried about a mile deep in the disclaimers of Barrett Jackson, you CAN bid on your own car and buy it back. Seems like he mentioned that something like 40-45% of the cars are bought back by the owner, & of course Craig Jackson could care less because he make's 18% on every sale. Also on the cover of that particular issue of SCM, was a story titled: ( Chandelier bids are not only immoral, they are illegal) about the number of chandelier bids that take place (that's when they are drawing bids out of thin air). Sad.

15. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Pretty sure most of the auction houses have that clause where you can by your own car back

16. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    I'm still very suspicious of this whole $138K sale. I mean come on! Maybe it wasn't the "hero" car. But the fact that it was even associated with the show means it has a value considerably higher than a normal TR. Who here would NOT have paid $138K for that car (assuming u are a 'Vice fan)?

17. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Amen!!! Seems absurdly cheap to me. If someone really bought a genuine MV TR for $138k they got the steal of the century. Something seems pretty wrong here...

18. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Exactly right.

19. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    I have followed Ferrari's at the Bar-Jack auction for years and have not seen one, regardless of provenance, get the price it deserved. I own a Silver 512TR which is an amazing award winning example and I follow the price of these pretty closely. I think it was last year they had a Yellow 512TR in amazing shape (I got as close to it as I could before it went across as I was there) and it went for 50K+ less than it should have. In any case, there have been a few Ferrari's this year and I again find that this auction does not support the audience for these types of sales. Great place to purchase though...there was a 355 and a 308 that went a few days ago that appeared to be great deals (I am not there this year so I did not get close to them but the price seemed low for the mileage and what I could see of the cars online).
    ClayS

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It cod also be the fact that this Web site lives in a bit of its own bubble. We like the show Miami vice, but there are many more who could really care less about it. To them it was just an old stupid 80's tv show. To us it was special because of the cars..and obviously the girls helped out to..

21. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Have you not taken a Testarossa though a gas station lately? It's not just older people that know the car....very young people too. The 80's are in....with high waisted short shorts and big sun glasses....thank Taylor Swift.

Shamile

Freeze. . . Miami Vice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

22. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Not within the last few weeks..weather has been lousy. I get the love for the car. But the relation to the show may not be worth what some think it is. It was a nice car and I still think 200 is all the money. But looking as where the tr were just a few short years ago, they are finally getting some recognition.

If it's true that the pawnshop owner bought the car for 30k, then he made 100k profit. I personally would be quite happy with that.

23. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    With the given provenance, it sold for for a little over market value.

When I was a propmaster in Hollywood, our shop would come across many....many people who had a 'Hero Prop' from production XYZ. Most were duped, some were scammers. But one out of a thousand actually owned the original. They were usually the guy who made the prop or were known to work for the studio. It generally went like this: "Hey Im Bob from XYZ Studios....Im broke. Anyone want to buy the original ten commandments I sculpted back in 56?"

On the bigger items like movie cars, everybody knew where they were. The robot shark from Jaws (his name was Bruce) ended up in a Pick a Part junkyard along side the big rig from Universal Solders starring Dolph Lungren and Jean Claude Van Dam.

My background has taught me to be a pessimist. And my talent is making fakes to be filmed. I could replicate the majority of the documents offered in the original Testarossa offering a few years ago in a week. Give me a month and I can make it perfect.

Custom Carbon Copy Forms

Point being, anything can be faked or replicated. Without a COA from Universal Studios stating VIN XXXX was used in the filming of the TV Production Miami Vice........Its just another flying mirror TR.

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Indeed Christian, how many more fakes will follow Friends ? :)

25. UB2SLOW

UB2SLOW Georgia

May 23, 2009
    Suwanee, GA
    I bought the Miami Vice Testarossa car at Barrett-Jackson and yes, it really did sell. It is in a truck on it's way to my home in the Atlanta, GA area! It was late in the night and the car was not given the time it deserved on stage for bidding. There were other bidders who could not make up their minds fast enough as I did and it hammered sold before anyone knew what was happening. I was shocked because it was hammered after only a couple of quick bids! Yes, I feel I stole the car and am looking forward to it arriving home to join my collection.

For the record, I just sold 6 cars at Barrett-Jackson this year and found a large number of cars selling way below market value. I decided since I sold my cars at a steal, I needed to steal something before I went home which I certainly did. Cheers!