Miami Boat Show | FerrariChat

Miami Boat Show

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by pingi3, Feb 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Is anyone here attending? Or attended? Just curious to see how it is.

2. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    #2 montegoblue, Feb 5, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    The Miami Boat Show is a great show! Have been going for a few years now... This year the layout is a bit different from what I am reading -- not at Convention Center. I would recommend staying on Collins Ave (either Fountaineblue or Eden Roc) and just cross the street to check out the new / brokerage boats. This is free of charge (at least years past) during the day and multiple parties to attend at night. I have met and made manyfriendships there just walking around and meeting other boating enthusiasts. The traditional "boat show" had been at the Convention Center -- caters more to small boats, accessories, gadgets, etc. Best day is Thursday IMO as the weekend can get a bit crowded on the docks.

3. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Thanks for the info. We booked a room at Fountainbleau.

4. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The convention center is under renovation, so this year is a new venue. They are basically building tents and a marina at the old Miami Marine Stadium. Miami for me is like being a kid in a candy store. I love offshore powerboats, up here in the Northern pacific northwest, these boats are rarely seen. I also like regular boats, been boating since the 1970's. I liked boats before cars. Miami is the mecca for all things boats.

I know a few long time Miami goers. A lot are not happy with the change in venue. Its difficult to get in and out. Lacks restaurant choices. Its not close to most Hotels. A few are being babies and staying home. Only reason I'm not going, done two boat shows this month, Seattle and Vancouver. I don't really need to see my favorite boats, see one you've seen them all. Sounds like Miami is going to be more regular boat show over its past. Not worth the multiple flights Id have to take to get there.

5. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    How is the Seattle show? Never been to Seattle and if I can squeeze a boat show even better. Imagine there would be a lot of Expedition style boats / tralwers there which I am building a taste for

6. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #6 BoulderFCar, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I think the show will be odd. Much of it is at the old Marine Stadium. That's a long way from Miami Beach on a good day. It on Virginia Key and much of it still off limits. The yachts are in the same place as always. It will be interesting to see how it works out. The show was always spread out and this year it is even more so.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Master Deep

Master Deep Karting

Jun 12, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm planning on going for one day if I get out of work early enough since I'm on call this weekend. I live in Brickell so this is even closer for me to get to than south beach.

8. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Seattle is very good for cruisers and trawler style boats. Most of the big trawler manufactures are there. Nordhavn had an 86 trawler there and a more normal 55 Trawler for example. My Dad is looking for a smaller trawler. Seattle or the Fort Lauderdale show are the best venues for them.

That's why a lot of the performance boat crowd are skipping this year. The on land displays are limited to something like 30ft. Limited space on the water, so not as many bigger go fast style boats. Add no restaurants near the venue, most of these guys want to look at some boats and shoot the chit in bars with friends. They also don't like walking the docks with crowds. Overall I'm betting attendance will be down this year. Its going to be mostly locals, instead of the usual fly ins from all over.

9. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    I'm going to our local boat show this Friday. Ours is more for the lake enthusiast instead of ocean going vessels. Every year there are less and less go-fast boats and large cabin cruisers. It's getting rather pathetic. Thankfully, they usually have a couple large Formula go-fast boats.

10. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    The farther the better. I have a Huracan waiting for me when I land ;)

11. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Parking and traffic around the convention center was a hassle but it was a nice concentration of product once you were in the center. Lights, electronics and most of the CC' all in the same place. easier than Ft Lauderdale. The boats were too spread out but you could go over to the West side and see the yacht type stuff in 10 minutes.

Now, with traffic tie ups, I could imagine burning an hour to get from the yacht displays to Miami Marine stadium. They are doing water shuttles which is kind of fun but then you have to come back to your car and so on. I'll skip due to logistics but I hope everyone enjoys the show.

12. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    It could be a hassle to park, etc. at the convention center. Most of the people I know go for go fasts and center consoles. Convention center was good for those who don't live in Miami and stayed in hotel.

The logistics is the nightmare now. Vancouver has it part in BC stadium and the in water at a marina. Since the stadium is near the water. They do water taxis. Waiting to get on taxi is like waiting for an E ticket ride at Disney, most of the day. Gets old fast.

13. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
  14. Master Deep

Master Deep Karting

Jun 12, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm going tomorrow afternoon. I will let you all know how it is.

You can also reserve parking online ahead of time to be guaranteed a parking spot. The closer you get to the venue, the more expensive it is. $5 for Marlins stadium with free shuttle up to $75 for valet at the front of the event itself.

15. Master Deep

Master Deep Karting

Jun 12, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    There's also plenty of free street parking in the Roads area right before the bridge to key biscayne. My friend parked there and will take an uber across.

16. Master Deep

Master Deep Karting

Jun 12, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    #17 Master Deep, Feb 14, 2016
    The cigarette lineup was the best. They had a 50 marauder, 42 marauder, MB AMG, and 3 center consoles. One guy bought the 42 marauder so they started it up for him and it sounded great with twin 1100s.

Vikings and Azimut were nice. It was perfect weather and the piers were crowded until about 4pm and then crowds thinned out.

17. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    That makes it all worthwhile right there. Cigarette is one of my favorite companies. It has the magic of Ferrari past.

18. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I like Cigarette, its the best of the go fast boats, build wise. I'm a little tired of the Cigarette AMG theme at the boat show. They've done the AMG theme since at least 05. Second when Skip Braver bought them, he stopped Offshore racing. So the world champions, number 1 logo, and calling it Cigarette racing, is a little lame when you haven't raced since 02!

19. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Totally agree with the AMG theme. Its old and it never really seemed to be an appropriate relationship. As for racing, I think he is doing whatever he needs to do to turn the company around. IIRC he bought the company when it was losing money like crazy knowing full well there was no quick fix. I hope he has the commitment and capital to keep it going.

20. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    O.k. it is true, Braver basically saved them. Most of the others who did race, all except Outerlimit's went bankrupt (Fountain and Donzi). Mr. Braver did say back in 02/03, he'd rather invest a couple hundred grand into building new models and better boats over racing. I just happen to be watching Offshore racing right now as I type. Back in the 80's, they actually raced offshore, rough water performance was needed more. In the 90's they moved the racing closer to shore, so people could watch from the beach, etc. Now its all about speed. Hence we now call them go fasts over Offshore race boats. Cigarette is one of the last builders building closer to the classic Offshore race boats.

21. Master Deep

Master Deep Karting

Jun 12, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    #22 Master Deep, Feb 14, 2016
    The 50' Marauder had the new twin 1550s Mercury Racing motors in it too! Was priced at $1.2 million I believe. The lady said it would conservatively hit 130mph+.

The 42' X with twin 1100s sold for $800,000.

22. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    ohhh maaaannnn! Lucky you. I hope you bought one..or two. I was at our boat show this Friday and was talking to the Formula rep. I had some questions about the outdrives.

He basically told me that the outdrives are bullet-proof these days if you know how to manage the throttle. Moreover, they don't recommend regular service of the outdrives anymore; only when there is a problem.

The largest Formula Fastech is only 38', not 42, 46, or 50 like Cigarette. But still I was impressed. Still, there is nothing like a Cigarette 1.

23. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    #24 pingi3, Feb 16, 2016
  24. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed