Metal prints | FerrariChat

Metal prints

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Zack, Oct 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #1 Zack, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You guys seen pics printed on aluminium? It's really vibrant and seems very easy to maintain. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on it. Also, if anyone knows of a place they recommend for price or service or other reasons, please post their contact info here!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'd like to hear more too.

Especially how you get a big piece of aluminum to be that flat!

Matt

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

The ones I've seen are mounted (glued?) on a hardboard backer board...

4. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #4 Zack, Oct 27, 2013
    Yes, it's an issue with the larger sizes. Typically they put some kind of backing on it, sometimes a frame that is 3" in from the borders. That puts a nice shadow behind the sheet, accentuating the impression that it's "floating."

The gloss version of this printing process makes the picture appear as if it has a light being shone through it. It really makes the colours pop, even dull skies and foggy scenes no longer appear depressing.

5. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Went to a shop that does this today. Very interesting to see how it's all done. First, the image is printed on a regular sheet of paper, with special ink. Next, you take a plate of aluminum stock, sized slightly bigger than you need, and with a special coating on it. You stick the paper with the ink facing down on the aluminum, and put it in between two flat plates. These plates are pressed together at 100 lbs/sq. inch, and heated to 200 deg F. This allows the ink to diffuse into the aluminum sheet. After this, the printed aluminum sheet is cut and the corners can be rounded if desired. Now you have your metal print.

Next, you have to decide if you want a frame or backing or not. You typically need at least a backing with a hole in it, to hang the whole thing. The backing is put on with a silicone-based adhesive. The frames I did not learn much about, as they take away from the look for me. If you don't have a backing covering most of the surface, larger sheets will flex and bend and look like the curved TV screens that are just coming out. It is a nice effect, especially for panoramas. For true longevity, I would still put a backing on it. I think flexing endlessly will eventually lead to practical and aesthetic problems.

I just love this stuff. Looks like about $15k to set it up...which means if you intend to print about 30 large ones (at $800 a pop), you are probably better off buying the machine to do it! 2 month lag on the machine order!

6. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    I forgot to ask what kind of resolution you need to take the picture at, for the various print sizes. I think that info is readily available online.

7. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Have a friend who prints on metal. PM me and i can get you in contact.

8. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    #8 Zack, Oct 29, 2013
    Just realized that the pics I posted don't really show how beautiful metal printing is. When you actually look at one, the colours are really vivid, and it is just the nicest way to display a picture, in my opinion.

I fell in love with this process at an art gallery in Greenwich Village, NYC, where the artist was showing prints from his travels in India and Africa. Can't remember the name right now but I will post a link later.

9. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    Kim Taylor Reece introduced me to whitewall.com (.de is the redirect I think). German company that Ive had some good luck with. Its not cheap, but the results are usually stunning.