Merged: Would You Buy a Ferrari 250 GTO That Someone Died In? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Merged: Would You Buy a Ferrari 250 GTO That Someone Died In?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by venusone, Jun 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. janus

janus Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2004
    Croatia
    Full Name:
    Janko
    I would definitely buy a car in which someone died. Because the chances of two people dieing in the same car at two separate occasions are slim at best. :)

2. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Bingo....

3. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Do you have a Readers Digest version?

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I knew I had a good teacher when it came to the older cars. ;)

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    No.

These stories are best told at night over a nice single malt after dinner when no one else is listening...

6. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    Coming to LA soon :)

7. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    1) 4713 GT is the LMB-bodied GTO; has been in the US since the '70s to my own knowledge.

2) 4561 SA is the J-P Cavallier "GTO"; it's one of the three four-liter cars.

3) There seems to be one "real" Lusso with a GTO nose and engine modifications from the factory (4385), and I thinks Bruno Risto (I'm not sure of his name either) did have this car. It's in Idaho now, I think. There are at least three others with similar modifications, but all seem to have been done at some later point. Purely by coincidence, 4381 is a 330 LMB ; 4383 is a Tom Meade Lusso with an odd nose, and 4385 is the factory Lusso/LMB.

O.G.

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Not anytime soon that I can think off.

9. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Not to mention any revered Brit here or a former restorer either :)
    We must share some single-malt one day.

10. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I was going to leave TM out of this because I don't want this one to turn into another thread about you know which car.

Yes, the three of us must get together. Let's make it happen sometime in 2006.

11. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I actually was thinking of SG :p So many cars, so many stories....

12. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    I have photos I took of the original GTO body hanging on the wall at SG's shop in 1978 or '79 or so. VERY interesting stories of some of his restorations back in those days.

For another day, and not for print.

O.G.

13. 575m_maranello

May 14, 2005
    buy it then flip it if it's worth so much buiy it for wattever and sell it for doulbe and buy a NEW ferrari with no stain and nice leather seats

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    HAIR LIP, HAIR LIP!

15. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    0562, the 750 Monza that Ascari died in is still driving around (but w/ a tipo 111, 2 liter motor).

Does anyone know if the 250 PF Cabriolet that Rubirosa died in is still around?

16. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Yes. Would you leave planet earth because people die here?

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Is that a philosophical question or a request?

18. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Wax:
    Not a request at all, just an observation. People get way bugged out over death. Won't by a house, car, etc. that some one died in. I don't get it.

Would you buy the same GTO that someone had been born in?...not that I believe that happened. It is the same. We all get born, we live different lengths of time, and we all die. No one will escape that end, either through old age or a sudden deceleration as posited at the beginning of the thread.

My advice is to enjoy the ride while you are here the best you can. If you want to own a GTO and the opportunity presents itself, you should. Whether someone died in it should not enter into the decision. Just my $.02.

19. RMV

RMV F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    If I was in the market, I wouldn't buy the GTO that Oreillier died in (3851), not because of the fact that he died in it; I wouldn't buy it because I don't like the nose fitted. Did anyone see the write-up of it (and its owner Fabrizio Violati) in Forza? I much prefer the 'stock' 62/63 nose.

BTW the fact that someone died in his car, hasn't stopped him from owning it for 40 odd years; Violati has owned a 250 GTO longer than anyone else, ever. Quite impressive!

20. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    In JR high school drawing pictures of GTOs instead of learining how to diagram sentences or figure the length of the longest side of a triangle!

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Depends on how ... if a racing accident or normal death, who cares it is part of the cars history and heritege. BTW: Racing cars crash ... sometimes drivers get hurt, face the facts or don't buy old race cars.

Now if somebody was horribly murdered in the car ... no thanks, not because they died but the how would bug me.

The how is everything, even regarding animals, which I eat ... but do not condone senseless cruelity of.
    Pete