[Merged] Schumi's comeback cancelled....:(( | Page 3 | FerrariChat

[Merged] Schumi's comeback cancelled....:((

Discussion in 'F1' started by Rennmaus, Aug 11, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Not surprising but really disappointing at the same time. Schumi's lap times were just not competitive with Kimi's (or Massa's, for that matter) and that was it. No matter how they try to dress it up. It is understandable that Schumi did not want to tarnish his legacy but that Ferrari would so easily become the clown of the F1 circus is downright embarrassing.

And another thing, this embarrasses all the idiots who unreservedly predicted that Schumi would somehow dominate his teammate if not the entire field. Shows exactly what they know about F1. LOL!

2. aquapuss

aquapuss Formula 3

Sep 18, 2005
    Isn't Badoer Italian? I thought more spaghetti was better?

3. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Surely you meant washing "windows".....unless you have discovered a profitable side job comforting the distressed!!

On a serious note, I'm bummed by the news, but I respect his decision, and hope maybe he'll emerge into F1 again soon..

Greg

4. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I'm gutted. This was going to be the best thing since the invention of s*x. I also feel very sorry for all the fans who rushed out to buy a ton of F1 tickets to see the great man performing. Too bad... Regardless of the reasons behind his decision to pull out, I can't hold any resentment against him. Perhaps his neck will heal sufficiently, perhaps he will still find a way back for a couple of races. I can but dream...

5. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I have mixed feelings on this one. While I really wanted to see him get behind the wheel and hand out driving lessons like he did in the past, He really has nothing left to prove to any one also.

6. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I would indeed like to think so.

7. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Well this sucks, stupid motorcycles! Well who knows if he might do a couple races as you guys already mentioned. Franco easy on those "Widows."

8. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    This has seriously ruined my day. Nothing left to do but head over to the "Pretty Girls With Ferraris" thread, as I won't get any work done anyway...

I bet a bunch of people will be retracting their bids for Shumacher merchandise on eBay.

9. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Auuugghhhh! I feel so empty & cold now.

10. Axecent

Axecent Formula 3

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    #60 Axecent, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009

Stupid motorcycles? That is just wrong.....Too bad they can't call up Valentino to step in. That would at least add some life to what has become one of the most boring motorsports series in the world.

11. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I have heard both of these, please provide your opinion . . .

#1 Michael was so very quick in testing the low downforce cars that the models were showing that he would drive circles around the other drivers. They pulled him so as not to make a mockery of F-1.

#2 Michael was so slow as to be a complete failure.

My theory is different: He hurt his neck.

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    this is the worst sports related tease ever...

13. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    No crystal ball here guys... I'm pretty bummed about the news. I really thought this was the shot in the arm F1 needed after such a tumultous season.

I can't help but wonder if there is more to this?

At first I thought it might be a short term way to take some heat off since talk of his "possible return" generated more interest than expected or desired. As a driver with neck problems- I was certainly encouraged he put in 2 days of Karting within a week of the F2007 test.. his neck would have to be in pretty GOOD to endure that if in fact the pinching started after the intital test. And- who was he karting with?? Luca Badoer...could they be up to something?? Could Micheal be relinquishing the drive for a freind and to buy a little more time to build the neck up? Is there any possibility Ferrari will need 2 drivers after due to rally developments?

It's sure fun to wonder.

14. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Just saw this in the NYTimes... makes me sad. I was really looking forward to seeing him race again.

15. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

It certainly seems like he used the neck as an out. IMO the neck was probably 60% of the decision, the other was that "private testing" probably proved that he just wasn't able to get up to speed quick enough and he figured why deal with the embarrassment? Family/wife was also a factor. Regardless, the F1 "theater" continues. If this wasn't enough to get him into the seat then I'm pretty sure he's hung it up for good.

16. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    There's no cry smilie for this forum, and the sad smilie isn't strong enough to express what I feel right now, so just use your imagination:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

17. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    #67 TurboFreak650, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
    That's a SUPREMELY cynical theory. I don't believe it. I believe Michael would have wanted to prove to the world that he was still the ultimate Ferrari F1 driver and would have relished the challenge of taking it to the young lions out there. I don't doubt that he has some lingering pain from his perhaps somewhat foolish stint in motorcycle racing, but I believe he would have absolutely answered the call if not for his neck, i.e., if his neck was acceptable and his speed was a bit off, he would have worked until he found the speed before race day. That's what a competitor does.

18. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    Not sure if it has been mentioned yet (haven't had time to read the whole thread), but what are the chances that this was the plan all along? I'm not trying to say anything about Schumi's character, but do you think there may have been some sort of scheme to boost ticket sales and pump some life into F1? I know it's a pretty far fetched theory that would include LdM, Bernie, Schumi, Ferrari, etc... but with all of the shenanigans that have happened in the past couple of years, I can't say I'd be surprised. If in fact that was the idea, from the replies on this board alone, I'd say it worked.

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I disagree. How can they properly analyze this testing performance, using an obselete car, with GP2 tyres? I don't see the logic here. Here's what i think. How many more races left? 7? Maybe, Schumacher is not prepared for the next 2 races. Interesting to note that LDM didn't mention Gene or Badoer for the rest of the season. It's a hint.

Plus, why is MS ruling out a return with over 2 weeks left before the next race? Shouldn't he get this medical thing done just a few days before the big day?

20. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I won't be surprised. Plus, they have 2 test drivers. Anyhow, i'm mighty disappointed...

21. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Less than two weeks after shocking the F1 world with his comeback plan, Michael Schumacher again surprised on Tuesday by calling it off.

The 40-year-old German crashed a German Superbike during testing in February sustaining several fractures, but until now the details of his injury were not known. “It was the most serious accident in Michael's motorsport career," his manager Willi Weber told DPA on Tuesday.

Sceptics also had a voice on Tuesday however, one writing in Britain's Guardian newspaper that "only Michael Schumacher knows if the biggest hurt during a comeback would have been to his neck or his pride."

Schumacher's younger brother Ralf hit back in the pages of Bild newspaper: "Fractures in the vertebrate are not something to be dismissed lightly."

The seven time champion's decision also moved the conversation on to the next replacement for injured Felipe Massa: 38-year-old Italian Luca Badoer, who has been Ferrari's test driver for more than a decade.

Carlos Gracia, president of the Spanish motor racing federation, slammed the Maranello team's decision to overlook its other tester, Spaniard Marc Gene. "It's an absurdity by the management of Ferrari," he said in the sports newspaper Marca. "Gene is better prepared and has just won the 24 hours of Le Mans."

Eddie Jordan believes the Schumacher news might compel Ferrari chiefs to try to bring forward Fernando Alonso's expected move to the Italian team.

"My information is that Alonso is going to Ferrari next year," the former team owner told the Sun. "Why don't they bring it forward? If I was Ferrari that is what I would try to do."

Edit : I have no idea what is EJ talking about at the bottom.

22. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't doubt that Fred will come to Ferrari very soon. At this point I welcome him, although I one time, I would have been totally against it.

23. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    It almost feels like a death of a champion... OK not that bad, thank god! But my heart did fall!

24. Tipo815

Tipo815 F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    +1. Just another cynical theory. I believe MS is above any kind of charade and would have wanted to prove that he is still a top notch driver. But with the extreme forces in a F1 car you can't be 90% healthy. You have to 100% healthy and if Schumi's injuries preclude him from being that - why bother? Why risk further injury? He was never a 9/10s driver. He was always ALL in!

25. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree with your theory. In full health, I have no doubt he could at least equalled Kimi, which would have made the comeback worth it.