Merged: 250 GTO sold for $20 million + | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Merged: 250 GTO sold for $20 million +

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by velocetwo, Jun 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004

with all due respect: there are only 2 ,4 lit GTO's 3765LM and 4561SA........3673SA is not a GTO it is a 400super america which now carries a GTO body. This discussion keeps going on and on...
    the so called 3rd 4 liter GTO (3673), was delivered from the factory with a street spec 400SA chassis ,engine ,trans, diff etc and a SWB body. Never was raced and was never a GTO. The books are all wrong. This is now very well documented.

thanks

2. vicious

vicious Karting

Oct 5, 2006
    Red Deer, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Noel Johnson
    Van Gogh actually painted the famous Sunflower 3 times. The original, one for his very good friend Gaugin and a third copy. I have seen all three together at the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam.

Noel

3. Arjan

Arjan Karting

Oct 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Arjan de Roos
    3527 GT then?

4. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    #179 thecheddar, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
    Been lurking for years, but this topic seems to have me inspired!

Growing up, we used to always pay a summer visit to a dear family friend's vintage restoration shop (a gent who many of you know and whose hands have seen the engines in your "red cars"). Upon walking in to the shed out on the farm he lived on, we would find it filled with racing history. SWB's, TDF's, all the major race-winners, you name them. Back then, we could barely fathom that some of those cars -- amazing and recognized as they were -- comfortably exceeded $100,000 in value.

But as with all respected art, these "branded kinetic sculptures" (what a Ferrari really is in art terms) went through periods of under-appreciation, discovery and re-appreciation. "Just an old race car" is the auto equivalent of "my kid could paint better!" Until people realized that those paintings broke new ground, expressed a new idea or set a new cultural norm that others followed, they sold for pocket change. It's that *context*, collectively recognized, that gives high-end art its obscene financial value.

Which leads me to believe that $28,500,000 for a GTO is ridiculous...In the same way Picasso's "Guernica" is ridiculous: It might be more palatable in time.

5. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Since we live in a world in which a painting can sell voor $100 million and over, I still believe 250 GTO's are insanely cheap.

6. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    #181 nickm, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
    Don't forget about all those self portraits he painted. ;o)
    There's gotta be more than 30 of 'em.
    Let's see... $2 for a piece of canvass... $10 worth of paint and
    a days worth of work... Priceless. ;o)
    Compared to thousands of specifically designed parts that came
    together to form a living breathing beautiful car? I do like Van Gogh,
    but I think I know which one I'd choose between.

7. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    A few years back I had a Iso Grifo delivered to my house, but before they could get it out of the transport truck they had to move a Ferrari, well it happened to be a GTO. I was excited to learn that it needed to be started up and backed out onto the street. After a period of time both my car and the Ferrari sat next to each other on the street. My friend mentioned that he thought my car looked better, and I agreed. I felt good that I had made a purchase that looked better than a GTO and It cost me a fraction of the cost. As I stared at the two cars I tried to understand how the thin metal of the GTO could be worth 20 million dollars.

8. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #183 Tom(Atl), Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are my shots from Pebble 05. I got a few with Moss driving it.

The way they were unloading it from the 50 year old trailer pointing towards the Pacific, I was pretty sure they were going to drop #722 straight into the ocean.

I just discovered this thread. It's amazing what the GTO sold for. I hope the new owner will enjoy driving it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. chris marsh

chris marsh F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2005
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Chris Marsh
  10. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
  11. Tad Cody

Tad Cody Formula 3

Sep 9, 2006
    Over here!
    Full Name:
    Take a guess...
    #186 Tad Cody, Sep 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You mean this old guy? ;)

-Tad (the younger guy)

12. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Great pic!

13. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
  14. mercedesbenze55amg

mercedesbenze55amg Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2004
    Plymouth Ma.
    Full Name:
    J. Nutter
    THATS CLOSE TO 28 MILLION US. It is now the most expensive price paid for a car eclipsing that of the Bugatti Royal and others of the same caliber. The owner is using "discretion" and wishes to remain Anonymous. Any thoughts?

15. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    This is a circular story that already has had several threads over the past few months which in turn have been picked up elsewhere in the internet and then return distorted presented as fact

The only accurate facts are that a car known as the 250 GTO exists and that one has been sold with the past year or so

16. Imola82

Imola82 Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Stu
    I heard that two examples of the 250 GTO have exchanged hands recently. I have not seen any factual data of the selling prices.

17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The German version of the English version of the story today had it selling at auction too

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    All of the various threads on this topic have since been merged into one. That's why the link leads right back to this thread.

19. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    is the consensus then that 5095 resold (at circa $22M) and the $28.5M 'sale' (of, presumably, another c/n) remains an unconfirmed rumor?

20. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    5905 traded at $28.5M US. I do not have any details on another trading at $22M. Two others examples have had sales considerations proposed by their owners in the past six months and neither car yet to be sold. There remains a fixed offer for any GTO except for these two and no owner has agreed to consider a sale at the offered price.

Regards,

Bill

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005

AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN:
    5095 GT sold in June 2008, from the UK to the UK and it was NOT (I repeat: NOT) US$ 28.5 M. It was MUCH less. Everything else is complete nonsense.
    Marcel Massini

22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005

Bill
    Sorry to disagree. It was NOT US$ 28.5 M. And the S/N is 5095 GT and not 5905 GT (that would be a 250 LM).
    Ciao
    Marcel Massini

23. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Correct as usual.

Best

24. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Bill, Marcel, and Jim,
    Thank you for your responses. It would seem that barchetta's announcement of a sale ("3 transactions= 50+ Millions") is referring to the second sale of 5095 then. First being from Germany(South Korea) to Scotland in 2007 for circa $22M. Second being within the UK in 2008.

25. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #200 Marcel Massini, Oct 16, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
    WRONG again.
    From South Korea to UK was US$ 17 M in 2007. NOT circa US$ 22 M......!!
    Marcel Massini