Merged: 2008 RM Maranello Auction | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Merged: 2008 RM Maranello Auction

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by 410SA, May 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    +1 that Evans chappie must be having a severe case of "what did I do?!!..." right now...I can't believe people get so childishly caught up in all the hot air.

2. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    ROFL,couple of reports from the auction,give a tale of the bidding and the condition of the way it went down.

3. CAS

CAS F1 Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Clint
    When did Daytona's become $1.5MM cars?? I'm certainly happy for AP, but damn. That seems high, even for a beautiful example like his.

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Spyder's have been at that level and higher for a while.

5. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    +1. If my memory serves me right more like 2Mil!

6. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Does anyone know something more about the rejected 246S. As I understood it had a wrong engine and some discussion about the chassis. What was the estimate (before rejecting) and anybody saw that car?
    ciao
    Oscar

7. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Yeah, I'd like to hear the story on the Dino as well. There are photos of it burning up in the pits while refueling, but I thought that the factory had it rebuilt. Later, it ran in the US, eventually w/V-8 power, I think. When I had it, it was missing engine and some instrs, but appeared absolutely correct otherwise. I found 2 engines (neither the original) and sold it to Bardinon as a kit. He could have made a good engine from what I sold him, but I've been told that he found the original engine at Chinetti's. (Don't know that for a fact). There was a lot of grief that ensued, as one of "my" engines was in the lot that Bamford had rescued from the factory junk pile, but somehow when it was sent to Pierre by Bamford's man it magically turned into a 248 (an even rarer animal!) I don't know for a fact how it was finally resolved, but sure would like to. A few years ago Terry Jones told me that he could regularly beat 250 TR's with it, so whatever the origins of the engine, it was put together correctly.

8. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    #133 nerd, May 21, 2008
    Last edited: May 21, 2008
    Those with the will to buy and the capability to pay obviously disagree! ;)

I've lacked the will to buy a Daytona Berlinetta since they crossed $225K or Dino above $150K, etc. But, I never deny the market realities.

9. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    there must be many people who know the story, but for liability reasons can't share. this car is no unknown. both in terms of it's present condition and it's history. for the car to have been accepted, you would think all of these issues would have discussed and agreed before hand. when it was pulled a week before the auction........

hell, if ferrari can reproduce items for their classiche program, you would think this car would have been given the "needs to be done " list before being advertised so heavily

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Is this part correct?

"60/may/22
    SEFAC entry dnf
    very bad pit fire 1000km Nuerburgring Giorgio Scarlatti/
    Giulio Cabianca #4 C145 p30, 34
    60/may - back to factory & scrapped
    60 - new car built using the same chassis number
    61 - Luigi Chinetti Motors, NY, NY, USA "

As I understand it this wasn't the problem. The engine was the problem.

Others???

11. rosso_fanatic

rosso_fanatic Formula Junior

May 11, 2007
    Long Beach
    Full Name:
    Wes
    Congrats on the sale! I don't know how you could bare to part with such a beaut. Were you satisfied with what it brought?

Yeah, but at least he has a severe case of "what did I do?!!..." in a 250 Cal spyder! The quote of one of the users on here (whose screen name escapes me) comes to mind. "Money can't buy happiness but I'd much rather cry in a Ferrari."

12. 3500touring

3500touring Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    Blaricum, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michael B.
    I saw a few posts in this thread concerning the 360 GTC at RM.
    Maybe it is nice to let you know that I am the very happy new owner who bought it at the RM auction.
    It now lives in The Netherlands and I posted a thread including some of its history on the 360/430 Model Specific Discussion with some photographs.

Kind regards,
    Michaël Boertien
    Amsterdam

13. 3500touring

3500touring Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    Blaricum, Holland
    Full Name:
    Michael B.
    Well, to be honest, that evening there were very few people who were really interested to buy modern or fairly modern racing cars.
    The buyers audience consisted more of mature and very well off buyers who were interested in road or road/race cars with a license plate.
    Can you tell me please how much Symbolic and the others were asking for their 360 N-GT's or GT's or GTC's? I wrote Symbolic a few weeks ago but never got a response.
    A friend of mine is looking around for a 360 racing car since he saw my car, maybe we can help him find one as well.
    Thanks, M.

14. Manfred Steinert/MPS

Manfred Steinert/MPS Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Germany

Hi,

Congratulations to your buy.

Not a 360 but a F 430 GTC up for sale:
    http://www.fiagt.com/cars.php?market=true&key=18

Best wishes and have fun with the 360

Manfred
    Mitorossso.com
    Ferrari Online Magazine

15. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    Congratulations Michael - you definitely had the "deal of the day"!!

Ed