Megayachts | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Megayachts

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Admiral Thrawn, Feb 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Can you blame them?

Hello Logan...

--Dan

2. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    So who owns the Al Salamah and Prince Abdul Aziz?
    Are those still in construction too? Any pics would be great. Thanks

3. Pagani16

Pagani16 Formula 3

Apr 25, 2005
    SoCal(San Diego)
    Full Name:
    Jason T.
    I love the look but too small. LOL.

4. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    It would be cool to see a carbon Wally 400 :D

5. IROC_DIS

IROC_DIS Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    craig w.

speaking of the Wallpowers, has anyone heard of one ever actually being bought? i always see them in threads on Fchat, and once in awhile on a tv show or movie. but i don't think i've ever heard of one being seen sitting in a port somewhere or being driven

6. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks! Platinum certainly will be a stunning yacht. :)

BTW: Where did you find this info?

7. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Not sure if there is one or 2. An italian guy owns a 118, but I'm not sure if it's the same boat demo-ed (and he just lets Wally borrow it), or if it's another 118, and Wally has one only for demo purposes. I'm thinking there's only one.
    They offered a diesel only (cheaper) 118 that did not sell either.

As for the Megayachts, they sure are impressive, but I'm not sure I would want one. I mean, it's just a floating house, there's no fun in driving such behemoths. Now something like Le Grand Bleu or Bart Roberts kinda makes sense. Total comfort, dock, drop the 1200hp sports boat and have fun during the day, night comes, put the sports boat back on deck, drop the Riva, show up at the party ... yeah, that would make sense.
    I can't wait until someone converts one of the Caspian Monsters as a luxo-yacht. I'd be all over that like a fat kid on candy!

8. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    There is only one. It was built by Intermarine in Italy and delivered in 2003.

9. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

Abdul Aziz is Saudi royalty, I believe, and Al Salamah might be as well. They're both owned by Middle Eastern governments.

10. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

There are a couple yachting websites out there. One is www.powerandmotoryacht.com and the other is www.yachtspotter.com. There are probably more, but those are the 2 I know about.

11. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

The other yachts have great tenders, too, they're just hidden away. Octopus probably has more toys than any other yacht. LGB is up there, too.

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I heard Paul Allen has an enormous sub on 1 of his yachts, well over 100 ft long :) Nice

13. Buffarino

Buffarino Guest

The sub is on Octopus, but it's not 100 feet long. More like 40 feet.

Here's a picture of the sub in action:

http://www.ardeodesign.com/images/submarine/3.jpg

14. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The harbor in St. Maarten is a great place out check out boats, many people from the north keep their boats there in the winter.

15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  16. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

what a great boat.

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
  18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Geez, while you're at it, throw in a CLK-GTR :p

I guess one of his friends stopped by via airmail in this pic: http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8986/yachtoctopus9w4ne.jpg
    Probably puts down his bball hoop when his Portland Trailblazers stop by.

Nice little tender storage: http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/8959/yachtoctopus9z55ou.jpg

Hanging with his peeps: http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/5075/yachtoctopus9j8by.jpg

Most stuff in here is probably a secret: http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8371/yachtoctopus9z67ay.jpg

A REAL wet bar: http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/8634/yachtoctopus9g1ho.jpg

19. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    Now that's funny. Abramovich shows up "There, I have the biggest boat in this creek. I so rule. Chelsea will win." ... Allen shows up "hey, keep your eyes open, wouldn't want to bump in your tiny little tugboat..." and Ellison arrives a bit later "told ya, Microsoft sucks ..."
    :D

20. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    #70 Admiral Thrawn, Feb 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oh dear...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
  22. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

You never know what the crew is doing when they are by themselves. I few years back my captain drank all of my Dom and blamed it on my business partner. then he ran into some coral in Miami, broke the prop. then he got fired. point: who knows the circumstances behind that sinking.

23. Maranello Guy

Maranello Guy F1 Rookie

Jun 5, 2005
    -)
    Full Name:
    MG
    #73 Maranello Guy, Feb 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    How many crew did you have? What size vessel was it?

It's an interesting question as to how you can keep control of the crew of yachts the size Octopus, Rising Sun, Lady Moura, etc. Octopus has around 60 crew... I suppose hire professional people, pay them well and treat them well is the answer.

I wonder if there has ever been a case of a yacht crew mutinying the owners... e.g. the owners are going for a swim or visiting an island, and the crew sail away, or if they've ever knocked off the owners.

25. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

On that boat, there was only the captain. On my current boat I have seven crew.

The captain handles everything. the only thing the owner has to do is hire a captain and pay the bills. My captain is very cool he's young annd fun, and most importantly, professional.

taking the boat to the Monaco Grand Prix this year. we reserved our spot in thee harbor about eight months ago.