Medical Advice - Inflammation of Colon | FerrariChat

Medical Advice - Inflammation of Colon

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Remy Zero, Sep 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Hi everyone, i need some assistance regarding someone close to me. Basically, she's been diagnosed with inflammation of the

Here's what exactly happened :

31 August 2014
    Sharp Pain lower abdominal left side. Did x ray, ultrasound, blood and urine tests. All normal.

1 Sept 2014
    Admitted to hospital. CT Scan done. On drips. Doctors diagnosed her with colon inflammation. Colitis. Given painkillers. On drips.

2 Sept 2014
    Discharged from hospital. Medication given is Tramadol HCL and Panadol

3 Sept 2014
    Constipated, consulted general practitioner and given medication to help constipation issues.

5 Sept 2014
    Vomiting, and passed motion 4 times. Pain in stomach area, as well as lower back.

My question is, is this all normal? The constipation? She was on soft diet to ease the inflamed colon. What are the causes? And the cure? Reason i'm posting this is, doctors can't seem to find anything wrong with her. After being admitted a couple of hours, they send her back with pain killers.

Appreciate some medical advice.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Unfortunately I have no ideas Brian. Really sorry to hear about your friend. Hope she gets the help she needs soon.

Has she gone to another doctor? This sounds very serious to me.

3. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Thank you Jason. She's admitted as we speak now.

BTW, please check your PM by tomorrow. Thanks!

4. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Brian, I'm not an MD but have medical research background and come from a medical family so I am familiar with medical issues.

Your friend may be suffering from diverticulitis, which is not uncommon. Here is a good description of the condition.

Diverticulitis is an inflammation of the colon which can vary in intensity. I've had it before myself. Unless the condition is very severe, you do not need a great deal of medical procedure to diagnose or treat it. Your friend seems to have gotten a lot more medical attention that I had. With too much medication, adverse reaction to medication may confuse diagnosis.

What seems to help clear up diverticulitis is more regular bowel movement and more balanced diet. Drinking more water actually helps BM better than purposely taking fibre supplements which are bad for diverticulitis. The colon's function is to re-absorb water so it needs a watery content to function properly. Diverticulitis is an abnormal formation of folds and pouches in the colon wall which may lead to sequestering of intestinal contents in the folds, causing irritation and eventually inflammation. You want the colon to move contents along smoothly and quickly, not having some of it sequestered in the colon walls. You also have to wonder if abnormally dry intestinal contents might irritate and physically cause folding of the colon walls from too much friction. So drink more water!

Have her drink more water, fruit juices. Stay on the mild diet, avoid fibre and oily foods, anything that delays passage of contents in the colon. Unless she is in a lot of pain the analgesics prescribed may also be overkill and cause constipation.

The other thing that may help is the judicious use of probiotics, supplements that contain beneficial intestinal flora which can help control imbalances in intestinal flora which cause stomach upset. You can also have her take "live-culture" yoghurt which sort of does the same thing. These can improve intestinal function and relieve the inflammation. Ask your doctor for an opinion on probiotic use. Here's a write-up from U of MD regarding that.

Mild exercise like walking may also help regularity and promote healing of the colon. I recovered from my bout of it without any painkillers or medicine, only adjusting my diet and getting more exercise… and drinking 6-7 glasses of water a day with supplementary electrolyte intake. Good luck!

5. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for your quick reply. My friend is just frustrated because no one seems to know what's going on with her, hence i decided to get some advice on the forum.

I will convey your message to her.

Once again, thanks very much and have a great weekend my friend.

Cheers,
    Brian

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Brian, I hope your friend just has a mild bout of diverticulitis.

I noticed I forgot to attach the link to the U of MD article. I had ankle surgery a couple of days ago and am a bit distracted as my leg is killing me!!!

U of MD article on diverticulitis with mention re probiotics.

It recommends high fibre diet for regularity which is a good thing but IMO, if you have diverticulitis already, you would do better with a regular diet of fibre, not necessarily a high fibre diet, along with lots of water intake. If you eat a regular amount of food, water would work better than fibre for regularity. Fibre gets hard to move if you do not have enough water in your gut. You will also have less gas.

Cheers!
    Michael

7. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Thanks for the latest update Michael. I just got off the phone with my friend. She's much better now, another day in the hospital to monitor the situation. She sounds better too.

Again, thanks for very much for all the advice..