Mclaren Honda heading for a divorce for 2018 | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Mclaren Honda heading for a divorce for 2018

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, May 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Renault is in a difficult situation

They want their team to win podiums but if they give the PU to Mac it makes it more difficult.

And, it divides up their resources unless TR switches to Honda. So, its more complicated that Mac dropping Honda. And Renault is in the catbird seat when it comes to the deal.

Where else is McLaren going to go?

2. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If Honda fixes the engine and RB ends up with it Zak Brown will look like the biggest idiot in F1 history.

3. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
  4. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    There's a very good possibility of that happening

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    To me it seems like everyone is playing politics

McLaren wants out but Honda does not want to go to another team.

The FIA wants Honda to be in Toro Rosso but Toro Rosso isn't particularly interested

Renault wants McLaren to survive but doesn't want to supply an additional team.

Alonso wants to stay at McLaren but doesn't want a Honda engine in his car.

It's like a bad soap opera.

6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    not to mention the Pink Panthers/Mary Kay's at each others throats!!!!

7. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Fixed it for you ;)

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Meh... he'll still have the 3rd best engine in the back of his car. You really think McLaren can win with a Renault engine? RB sure can't.

I'd like to remind you that the Renault engine is only slightly more reliable than the Honda....

10. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    RB has won what, 7 races over the last 4 seasons with that engine? They've proven you can win with it. Not every race, but in each of the last 4 seasons they've won at least 1 race, except for 2015 when they had a couple of 2nd places and they completely threw away monaco by not having his tires ready at his pit stop. So yeah, RB has won with it.

Mclaren would sure love to have an engine capable of 7(+) wins over the last 4 seasons....

11. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Right now he has the 4th best engine in the back of his car. Not only that, this 4th place engine has gone backwards in performance this year vs last. Honda, far from being the engine tech gods, have proven to be, well, a bit rubbish. Crystal ball gazing in F1 is a dubious game, and 'presuming' that Honda will somehow leapfrog Renault when they have failed to do this for 3 straight years is showing blind faith beyond reason.

Remember, the Renault PU is capable of victory, and Renault have the same opportunity to develop their engine that Honda have. In fact better, as they at least have an engine which they understand and which is a platform from which to develop. Honda can't even establish a remotely reliable baseline.

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    :::yes it is..and as always Alonso is right in the midle of that ****!!!

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    FIA should give Honda and McLaren additional testing time during off season IMO
    They've paid the price of many poor seasons and it doesn't help F1 to see them suck

14. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Why? They've had 3 years to sort this out... The other manufacturers will rightly demand the same privilege.

15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Rightly demand That's hilarious - It' suppose to help a team in trouble and
    under F1 rules most all the teams would probably have to agree as such.
    But I did state IMO

16. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    I agree with you, but in F1 common sense rarely prevails over self interest...

As it is, the engine rules get ripped up in 2 years. I doubt Honda could justify the huge dollars required to come up with another totally new F1 PU concept to replace the current one which itself is a clean sheet design from their first generation effort. So - either they can engineer the current engine to be a race winner (very unlikely on current evidence) or they park stay at the back of the pack and start fresh for 2020. (Or, pull the plug on F1 altogether).

I think Honda are in a world of pain that goes well beyond the relationship with McLaren. I'm amazed they haven't already decided to pull out.

17. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Yes a pull out does look highly likely and it will be the second time they ran away if it does happens

18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    It's the Japanese mentality, to fall on their sword if things go badly, I would rather they turned a corner and were at least competitive, but it doesn't seem to have gotten any closer to working in three years, in fact, they may even have slipped further back from where they were at the start of the year

19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #294 Ferrari 308 GTB, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    If Honda pulls out of F1 then what?

Renault have said they dont't have the capacity to supply a fourth team.

The deadline for triggering the forcing of another team to supply another 4th team has passed, but i guess in the interest of the sport they can get around this.

So could Mclaren get Merc power in 2018?i assume MB have the capacity .but would they really want to do that ?

I think Mclaren will be stuck with Honda next year,then Alonso can decide if he wants to stay or not.

The whole thing is down to $$$$$ as usual in F1.

20. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Honda will be in F1. Everything I've read indicates that STR switching to Honda is the critical point. And McLaren would supply STR with a gearbox for the Honda engine. And that Renault are also negotiating for Sainz's early release from his RB contract for the factory team seat. There are a lot of moving pieces but it would seem that Honda will be there next year either with McLaren or STR.

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    It brings to mind Mercedes secret test of awhile back, there were no negative repercussions.

22. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Honda have had 3 years of testing at every GP in that time. Their PU problems are not going to get fixed by a bit of ECU mapping or some minor cooling tweaks at a test day. They have fundamental engineering issues to fix.

23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

24. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003