Mclaren F1 Limited Edition Driving ambition | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mclaren F1 Limited Edition Driving ambition

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by markst270, Aug 14, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TCT

TCT Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    USA
    #26 TCT, Nov 25, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  2. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    No, im thinking about selling my copy.

3. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Which cover do you have? Gulf, Harrods or West? The West one seems to be the most common and perhaps the Harrods one the most rare, at least from what I have seen. It has actually been a while since I have seen one sell, and given that my estimate on Brian's Ltd copy of Driving Ambition was rather optimistic, perhaps the price one would go for now would be less than what they have in the past. At the high end, it used to be about $300.

>8^)
    ER

4. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Pretty sure that I remember at least one going over $400.

5. gregh

gregh Karting

Dec 7, 2004
    Farnborough, Hants
    Full Name:
    Greg Hurst
    I may be interested in obtaining one, depending on the cover :)

6. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    The one i have is with the West cover in mint condition, i saw the same book for about 2 years ago on ebay for $300. Just wondered if there was any price rise of theese books.

I have`nt checked much McLaren items on ebay latley, i just noticed that the 1/18 cars sems to gonne upp in price very much, sadly i`ve sold my models at the wrong time.

7. CarbBoxer

CarbBoxer Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    PW
    You can't delete attachments. either pay a subscription fee or create an alt account which is against the rules.

8. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    If Greg is not interested, I know someone else who might be, but I have no idea what they'd be willing/able to pay.

>8^)
    ER

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Here's one old thread......bump

10. timothymoffat

timothymoffat Karting

Mar 30, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Tim
    And another bump. Can anyone tell me the best place to look for one of the limited edition copies? Any idea on what I should pay?

11. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Your best bet will always be Ebay though they certainly do not come along very often. The prices that have been discussed here remain the most accurate estimates I could provide you with. Good luck in your search.

>8^)
    ER

12. Scuderia Santo Luigi

Scuderia Santo Luigi Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2010
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Wish I had the money laying around for that book, although I'm sure I've probably spent at least that much money acquiring my collection of Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsche factory brochures and 1/18 scale diecasts. It's a very impressive and all-inclusive book for a very impressive car!

13. fasaloli

fasaloli Rookie

Nov 16, 2007
    i am very intrested to buy a copy of this book, if your willing to sell please send me a PM
    thanks

14. CBulen

CBulen Rookie

Sep 13, 2010
    I have book #173. It has GTR chassis plates.

I am considering selling it. PM me if interested. I can send pix

15. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Welcome, and thanks for offering it.....

People wander in and out here looking for it, as you can see from this thread and others.

16. CBulen

CBulen Rookie

Sep 13, 2010
  17. Bakasan

Bakasan Rookie

Dec 11, 2004
    Gents,

old thread bumped - sorry

Looking for copies of Driving Ambition - Regular edition is fine but very interested in the Limited Edition AND Le Mans Edition.

Please PM me.

Cheers.

18. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Dropped you a PM about both the items you have inquired about. :)

>8^)
    ER

19. CollectorMorry

CollectorMorry Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Morry Barmak
  20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #343 is available. Please PM (using the email function) for details.

21. Bakasan

Bakasan Rookie

Dec 11, 2004
    jack - You have emails.
    Cheers.

22. MHK69

MHK69 Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt K
    I'm interested in obtaining a copy of the limited edition, but I'm not quite sure how the book came or rather all the contents.

From what I understand, it is packaged in a black cardboard box, inside is the leatherbound book presented in a solander(sp) box. Now what I'm unsure about is what else came with the limited edition. I believe the poster and also a print, is this correct.

I'd be really grateful for someone who has a copy to submit some photos of the complete package.

Many thanks

Matt

23. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #48 JeremyJon, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    okay gents,

who can tell me just how much difference (other then price) there is between the technical/written content of the 'driving ambition' book, and the limited edition(s)?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Quite a bit actually. In page count alone the Limited versions have 408 compared to the retail copy's 272. Many of these extra pages were reserved for more wonderful images. Some of the pages are transparent overlays displaying a sketch that was used to create certain parts of the car, with a photo of the part underneath. There's additional text as well in most of the chapters including a more thorough accounting of the F1 GTR's racing history.

They used high quality art paper and inks for each page which shimmer compared to the standard version. These special books come in a felt lined box with a McLaren badge on the outside and white gloves inside to keep fingerprints off the pages. Each book is numbered inside with a plate very similar to the chassis plate found inside each F1. It is also hand-signed by the four Directors at McLaren who were responsible for the car's creation. You get the same poster with the Limited copies that you do with the retail versions but you also receive a full scale blueprint of some part from the car. My copy includes an engineering drawing of the F1's unique transmission.

The book is limited to 1,000 total copies with the first 100 set aside for F1 owners and bound in Connolly leather just as they used inside the cars. The remaining copies were bound with Nubuck. From what was left over of those 900 copies in 2005 they created the 'Le Mans Edition' versions which had a special plate inside numbering them 1 of 59, a special poster of the GTR that won Le Mans signed by Ron Dennis, a pin commemorating the 10th Anniversary of the win, and a DVD of the video "McLaren at Le Mans - The Pursuit of Perfection".

>8^)
    ER

25. simonw

simonw Karting

Mar 23, 2006
    Sheffield, UK
    Mine also came with a technical drawing of the gearbox