McLaren 765LT | Page 4 | FerrariChat

McLaren 765LT

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Thecadster, Mar 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    It’s going to be close for sure. The Senna has more HP (789 vs 755), and they same torque figure (590). Weight is roughly equivalent. Senna has a significant edge in downforce.

Gh21631 and BJK like this.
  2. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'd love to dyne them back to back, I bet its even closer. I'll see if I can make that happen or I bet some YouTuber will.

Thecadster likes this.
  3. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    No, on some small down force track the 765lt is on the level of the Senna according to Mclaren HQ. Mclaren never hold back technologie to save a certain model..
    The 765lt is the first Mclaren who has the new shorter final drive ratio, even the senna dont have it. Guess why mclaren didnt communicate the 0-300kph time for the 765lt.

Gh21631 and Thecadster like this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    This is cross-posted on the McLaren board. I thought I might try and get some more eyeballs on this. I am just looking for a little help and reassurance.

I think I have my 765LT spec finalized. It’s my first McLaren and I don’t wish to screw it up, so I was hoping that the resident experts on this board might help review my spec. I’ve spec’d new cars before (most notably a 812 and a Performante), and I don’t recall being this indecisive. Here are the highlights:
    • Chicane (basic Chicane, not the Chicane Effect)
    • All Black Interior
    • Silver Calipers
    • Senna Seats
    • Engine Window
    Here are the details:

$358,000 - Base MSRP
    $4,050 - Transport
    $5,430 - Elite Paint - Chicane
    $24,140 - Exterior Carbon Fiber Pack 2
    $1,820 - Stealth Pack
    $2,860 - Carbon Fiber Front Air Intakes
    $7,580 - Super Lightweight Carbon Fiber Racing Seats (Touring)
    $3,030 - Alcantara with Black Stitching
    $8,470 - Double Glazed Engine Window
    $2,820 - Carbon Fiber Secondary Interior Components
    $390 - Homelink
    $4,370 - MSO Defined Extended Carbon Sill
    $1,740 - 360 Degree Park Assist
    $260 - Lithium Ion Charger
    $480 - MSO Defined Key Color - Chicane

$420,610

I was torn on Orange Calipers with Orange stitching as that was the look that originally made me fall in love with Chicane (seems like that might be the most popular combo for the 675LT), but ultimately I wanted to try something a little different and went with silver calipers and black stitching. Might this be something I later regret? Also, am I missing anything critical? I declined roof scoop, carbon splitter, carbon roof, carbon fiber wing, and brake pack. Any reason why I should reconsider those omissions?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Gh21631 and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    #81 BMW.SauberF1Team, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    I like orange...one of my favorite colors on McLaren. But for calipers and body paint I prefer the two be the same/similar color. If they are different/contrasting colors, than I would prefer the caliper be darker than the body. Bright calipers and dark body imo pull attention away from the car and focus the eyes on the caliper instead when I rather look at the car itself.

Thecadster likes this.
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    And to add to that you can make bright calipers work on a dark car if there are accents elsewhere outside matching the caliper like on diffusers, grills, wing mirrors, emblems, or something like that. The interior on that Flickr page is a good example. Dark interior with orange accents everywhere so your eye isn't drawn to one area. If only the steering wheel had orange accents it would draw attention and look not ideal to me compared to other alternatives.

918 Spyder Edition 911 Turbo with dark body and acid green accents is a way to make it work.

Thecadster and Gh21631 like this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'll be honest....why are you getting such a standout car in such a boring color? Greys and blacks are for boring DDs like MB and BMW. AND a mono chromatic interior? Sorry, does not compute. Still a big fan of yours though....

Thecadster and BJK like this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I personally like a bit of color sprinkled in but the stealth look works as well. Maybe look at the dove/white interior trim for the seats. Even red might give you a bit of sizzle for the interior.

Thecadster likes this.
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    no fender louvers? :eek: No roof scoop? :eek: The roof scoop and louvers are strong visual clues for a 765. (I believe I read on track the scoop does lower engine bay temp) at least get louvers to distinguish from 720.
    I personally hate the sea of black interior. Too much. Whole car is a bit 'gloomy'. (could be mostly the 'gloomy' lighting)
    Are you worried/thinking about resale down the line? If so, 'popular' colors, accents and options would be the way to go.
    But, in the end, do what makes you happy. :)
    What did you do on your 812?

11. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I have a 600LT in Helios Orange, so take my advise as you will...

I agree with you on the roof scoop.

I would definitely get the fender vents. Adds a nice look to the car and I think may be a no cost option.

Chicane effect looks very cool. Not so noticeable in regular light, but pops in sunlight.

I am a fan of colored calipers. Orange would look great especially with chicane effect, but I think still would look nice with your chosen color. I would also strongly consider the blue calipers they have. This would be a little more subtle, but still something a bit different. I have black calipers with the black wheels and in IMVHO looks like too much black. Next time my car is in for service, I plan to have my calipers painted blue.

Finally, you might want a little color in the cabin. I have the Senna seats with all black. I would like to have a little color. Even deviated stitching in silver would add some interest.

So, just my $0.02. In the end, it is your car. Do what works for you. Congrats on getting one!!!

12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I like this one a lot

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Fender vents are standard on the 765

Thecadster likes this.
  14. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I think the confusion is because the configuration 765LT photos he posted doesn't have fender vents.

Thecadster and BJK like this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Nah, I'm living vicariously through his cars.....C'mon, where is the love for us poor people.....

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    not a fan of greys on a supercar. unless looking for low key/stealth. Go with black for a sinister look. But, I'd rather have some P O P! Gimme some color!

17. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Good feedback. Tons of “no cost” options on the 765LT including louvers, lifter, B&W 12 speaker, tons of standard carbon, power steering column, etc. My 812 is Grigio Silverstone with Cioccolato interior (racing seats, full leather, pretty much full carbon inside and outside). My Performante is Rosso Mars, and I have a 2005 Ford GT White with Blue stripes, and 2017 Dodge Viper ACR in bright TA orange. I’ll attach some pics. For the 765LT, I did not want any color overlap with my other cars (so that eliminated Papaya Spark, McLaren Orange, Nardo Orange, Delta Red, Storm Gray, among others). My short list was Mexico Blue, Paris Blue, Curaçao Blue, or Chicane. I kept coming back to Chicane, mainly because I love that color on 675LT (and was strongly considering adding one of those), plus the release car is beautiful in Chicane Effect (which looks like Chicane until you get up close and you can see a slight orange speck). Regarding interior, I feel like sometimes the extra colors on the interior might not stand the test of time. I wonder what orange highlights might look like 10 years from now. Like all my cars, I intend for this be a permanent car. I really don’t care for electrification of any variety in cars, and I am racing to acquire as many of these “end of an era” type cars as possible.

Monsieur Yoge and BJK like this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Here are the various blues I considered:

Paris Blue

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mclarensanfrancisco/albums/72157688841640594/

Mexico Blue

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mclarensanfrancisco/albums/72157665999021828/

Curaçao Blue

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mclarensanfrancisco/albums/72157689206789170/

I even considered British Racing Green or possibly an exact copy of this Senna spec down to the brown leather on the Senna seats.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mclarensanfrancisco/albums/72157695607971330/

Ultimately though, I just kept coming back to this...

19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    You have one coming right? What is your spec?

20. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    It makes sense now why you don't want another orange car. I agree it would be nice to have some variation in your car collection. Blue isn't bad, but chicane grey does look good with orange accents. The calipers and LT logo on the side skirt match, but I would change the interior to orange and black seats. That would help make the outside match the inside so the calipers don't stand out as much being the main orange feature. Plus the orange seats would now provide nice contrast to an otherwise all black interior.

Thecadster likes this.
  21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  22. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #98 BJK, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    Andynyc and Thecadster like this.
  23. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm guessing it's the lighting in those CG images, but that orange in the second image doesn't look like the 675LT I posted and looks too dark. The chicane grey in your first photos of the exterior also doesn't look like chicane grey in real photos you posted from FlickR. I don't know if that configurator would be the best way to decide unless you see all of this in person.

If I had to pick, I would go with that second interior orange accent with orange calipers. If silver calipers, I would go with the last interior with the grey accents.

Thecadster likes this.
  24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yes, the configurator pictures are awful. Among the worst configurator pictures I have ever seen. Now you guys know why I am struggling. My Performante and 812 were super easy. I completed them on one pass, and never looked back.

Perhaps, I just go with the full launch Chicane version except not Chicane Effect (to me that orange speck in the paint is kind of cool today, but maybe not as much in 10 years).

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.