McLaren 570S - Baby P1!! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

McLaren 570S - Baby P1!!

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by Rossi46, Mar 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7baQU-8oh24[/ame]

Shmee recently took delivery of a 675LT. He's owned at least one other McLaren. He also bought a used FF recently. Not a bad POV from which to comment on the 570S.

2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    It appears they intend to take market share away from Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes and possibly Corvette buyers. Everyone wants an exotic, if someone is considering a first time purchase of a 911, R8, Z06, AMG-GT, but really wants an F car, the 570s might be the perfect car and price point.

Sitting next to a 458, the average person won't see a difference. They both look exotic.

Time will tell, but I suspect this will be a success for them, especially if you can get one for $160k.

3. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Every car they did was supposed to be a success and hasn't been

4. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I like the brand, not the best looking or sexiest looking but everyone that I know that has one..loves it.. And they have or had ferraris, lambs, Porsches etc.

5. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    X1

6. timestop

timestop Rookie

Oct 27, 2015
    I agree. Most Chinese don't know much of cars, they care only about the Brands. Many my friends thought a $90K Porsche Macan is MUCH BETTER than my M-B G class, despite a G costs at least $300K in China (triple price than in US, two third are tax), just because Macan is a Porsche. And many think a BMW 1-series surpasses a GTR, for BMW is better than Nissan.

If I want to create a supercar brand. At first I will produce some high-performance, same-price cars, to fill need of those who care brands less, but performance much. After getting a few customers, throw some same-or-slight-less-performance, less-cost cars into market. For supercars, one fourth price off will double buyers, since number of people desired for a supercar is always larger than that of people who has desire and can afford it. Double buyers means revenue double, despite hurt the most top cars of the brand.

I believe McLaren do the same work. Widespread prestige of Mac and P1 makes a lot of F-funs to consider McLaren, like me. Then delivery 675lt, 650s, 625c, 570s, 540c to cover market from slight-higher-than GTR to 488. Big money! The only hurt is P1, but who cares? It's sold out.

7. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    More on the 570S:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyW_gZkzJBc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeY2UP9N0do[/ame]

I really admire Schmee for making all that cash, his passion for cars and for living the dream. But his videos are less and less interesting/deep and he just posts so many of them . . . it's getting harder and harder to find the motivation to so much as scan them.

8. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    #83 mikelfrance, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    570 s vs NSX

Which will be the better performer? No question, the 570s

Which will have greater sales? No question, the NSX

This is McLaren's problem. You're better off buying a used McLaren with better performance than the 570s if you want "a McLaren" 2 seat sports car. They all pretty much look alike anyway and have the same engine and gearbox underneath. All have the sexy looks and doors. No one can tell the difference between one and another. If you want a daily driver, you'll buy the NSX. Why? There's a dealer on ever block to fix it and their service will be 1000 times better.

Want proof? Here's a 2015 650s spider with 1400 miles for 70 grand off MSRP.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/648788223/overview/

And that's the ASKING price. You know it's at least 20 grand more off that. I wouldn't be surprised if dealers try to push used cars off to perspective clients than order a new 570s. It's going to be pretty tempting when you walk into a dealer and can get a good used car that performs better for $100 grand off and has lost most of its depreciation.

The 570s is the car they should have built 5 years ago. If they had built this car instead of going after the 458 with the 12c, it's sales would have been exceptional.

Now.... meh. Its difficult to get excited about a McLaren Daily driver. It looks like a watered down de-tuned Mac.

9. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don't see how they could have built the 570S first. They needed to build 12C & 650S to get to the point where they're properly able to offer the 570S.

10. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I saw one today on display in Nuremberg. Very nice. It has some great details you cannot see in pictures.

It does not look bigger than the 12c to me. In fact it looks really compact and tight-- in a good way.

The one I saw was that rather ice cream orange which looks nice but is not my favorite. I think it has too many black splotches everywhere but in black it must look awesome.

Without question it's the best they have done. Ferrari is going to have to work hard to beat it with the new Dino.

I can see McLaren selling a lot of these.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    570s looks great, its the 308 of 2015. The performance delta to a Mp12 is not measuarble by a driver. However its a more alive feelsome car than the somewhat dead feeling mp12, and far better looking.

The 650 morphed into the Lt which is the model selling.

Mclaren is figuring out that a car must have (1) Styling appeal and (2) subjective feel for the driver to go along with spec numbers. After all these are road cars not F1 racers. From what i read the 570 is more fun on track too, becaise you can play wiht the edge in way you cant with too many moderns.

They are getting the formula down and their product is improving. The 570s ultileses the Mp12 650 P1 platform. As such amortisation means they can offer it as a great price.

Its callled a 570 so the number places it below a 650, but in reality its the more developed better looking more fun to drive car. By calling it s 570 they get to do two things, price a product below ferrari for better appeal as a new entrant. And they can with a 570 tune the car to be more fun to drive rather than just raw track numbers which are irrelevant.

Like the upcoming 911r, the 570 has narrower tires so it has feedback and is actualy fun to play with.

Having driven one, I can say that whatever the performance delta to a 458, 488, hurican its imeasurable to a driver. Like asking is a R1 faster than a Bmw, yes but other than the 100 people on the planet who can exploit that difference to the max on track, irrelevant. The difference here is that in most other circumstances the 570 is more acessable by costing 1/3 less and more fun to drive.

More people bought 308s back in the day than faster BB512's, it hit a sweetspot, as does the 570s.

Somewhere the exotic manufacturers are starting to realize that more speed is becoming ridiculous and imeasuable, its also counterproductive if it interferes with the subjective. Same with bikes.

Maclaren is becoming the entusiasts choice. Currently its devoid of the fanboi ferrari brand worship, yet its starting to make really appealing products.

It does still lack the ferraris epic motor, but then for 1/3 less money you get maybe a more fun to drive car, dont have to deal with ferrari dealers, brand BS, and the way you sit towards the middle of the car, cf tub, and door drama add its own appeal that the more convetional ferrari lacks.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Really?

I wish ...
    Pete

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yeah ,maybe its wishful thinking, but it seems porche is developing a "classic" line
    with these attributes. NA stick skinnier tires great steering, while the rest can drive the PDK turbo carerras and boxters.

It does occur that in attempting to make a simpler less expensive car Mclaren may pnly have inadvertantly made a better drivers car. Now that the cat is out the bag, lets see what follows.

I see a divergence in sportscars comming, robotised GTR type cars showing ever better numbers which are practicaly irrelevant from a drivers and skill point of view, but genrate sales. And real drivers cars which are a minority but economicaly worthwhile for some mnaufacturers, which many dont understand because they are "slower".

Eventualy the robot car will drive itself faster round the track than a human, and many who have never gone to the track before will love the carnival ride, others will realize there is no point.

Sportscar mnayfactuers are siing that while the really fast Gt market(nearly all, if not all ferraris and current porches) is the volume for sportscars, there is a great niche for real drivers cars and it is these cars that support brand cred.

Or what the miata represents and does can be replicated profitably up the value scale.

14. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think that's pretty well said except that I don't think 650S is completely dead - it's simply morphed into 675LT. The vast majority of the 12C/650/675 platform cars coming out the factory in 2016 will be 675LT Coupes and 675LT Spiders as they've already sold 500 each of those cars with probably around 150-200 of the coupes delivered so far. So they're likely only going to make base 650S for people who order them and I suspect most of them will be Spiders for the reason you mention. The 675LT is oh-my-god amazing and I think, even at $350K, McLaren probably underpriced it.

Also I do think some people will walk into McLaren dealerships to try 570S and drive out with great deals on whatever new 650S inventory is left and possibly some used 12C or 650S inventory. I don't see that as a bad thing for McLaren at all. In fact I think it's great for them. It's diminishing the inventory of used 12C/650S to the point where used prices are stabilizing and might even rise over time. I own a 650S Spider (in addition to 675LT Coupe and P1) and I still absolutely LOVE driving it. Even after having the two faster McLarens I don't find the 650S Spider one iota less enjoyable to drive. In fact the rawness of the P1 makes me double-appreciate how McLaren has packed so much performance and handling into such a civilized and luxurious car as the 650S Spider. The LT kind of sits between the two with almost all the ride comfort of the 650S but with even more responsiveness and even better handling that leans toward the P1. Lap-time wise it's probably right in the middle between the two.

The 650S is just a lovely, lovely car to drive (on road or track) so I think the existence of 570S in McLaren dealerships is going to sell whatever is left of them.

If people are getting great deals on them then good for them! They'll all be gone before long and the rising tide raises all the boats.

15. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I didn't quote the whole post but everything you said was dead on.

I think McLaren is finding the "feel" of the cars more and more with each new model. I really loved my 12Cs (I had two of them) but I could definitely feel the handling and responsiveness improvements in 650S. The 650S felt to me like they just made it more fun and more playful than the 12C and then they did it even more with the 675LT while dialing up performance again. It's like the people at McLaren took their neck ties off, rolled up their sleeves and let their hair down. It just feels like they're having more fun now and it really shows in the way the cars are handling. And now the 675LT just dials that formula up to amazing levels of fun! Its just so incredibly communicative even at very low speeds.

I have a 570S on order but I have not driven one yet. I did get to ride in one (a production prototype) driven very sportingly by a McLaren employee near the factory in England. It blew me away. From the passenger seat I couldn't feel much street performance difference to 12C/650S and everyone says it has the driving fun factor of the newer McLarens. What I could also definitely feel is improvement in interior design, ergonomics, usability and materials. I think the 570 is going to be a huge success.

16. Korntera

Korntera Karting

Sep 19, 2012
    Happy Valley/Bend OR
    Full Name:
    Travis
    And in 2 years the value will drop to where it will blow away every other 100-120k car, if only there was a dealership closer than 800 miles from me, otherwise this would be in my garage in 2 years.

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree.

Stood behind one in person yesterday and the engine cover is still hideous IMO.
    Pete

18. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Some interesting info:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BebiF4qkcuA[/ame]

19. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wow that one was the king of the nerds review for sure ;)

20. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Less info than Part I. I love the flywheel-turbo thing (towards the end):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plj8QkN8aRA[/ame]

21. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    moto man rules! lol

22. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    BTW we got our 570S and it's absolutely wonderful on both road and track. Just loving it!

23. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Id consider buy one used as a project to mess around with. Love depreciation on mclarens it's almost worse than jags. Lol

24. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    #99 pingi3, May 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not being a wise ass here but what about the engine cover that makes it look hideous. Just curious. Personally I could have gone with so many other design options. Maybe the design is partially to allow more hot air to escape the engine compartment.

One of the sexiest back end IMO. The 430 Scuderia.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #100 noone1, May 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's love it or hate it. I personally don't like any cars with flat decklids (i.e. all exotic convertibles), but that's just me.

The rear of the GT looks fantastic though.