Mcl, medial collateral ligament tear.... | FerrariChat

Mcl, medial collateral ligament tear....

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Edward 96GTS, May 25, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Ligament tear in rt knee. Any suggestions for speedy recovery. Hate missing out leg exercises and running. Injury occurred while running and turning to look behind.
    Ed

2. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    How was the MCL tear confirmed? Typically an MCL tear heals (scars) on its own without intervention. Healing can be sped up to a degree with physical therapy, and potentially the use of a brace after initial injury. The MCL attaches to the medial meniscus. Was the medical meniscus involved in this injury as well?

Listen to your doc/therapist. Most soft tissue injuries take a good six weeks to heal depending on age, diet, smoker/non-smoker, etc..

Hang in there.

3. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    When I was 15 I dislocated my patella, tore the MCL, ACL, and took a good chunk of cartilege out from under my patella when it popped back. On crutches I stressed my left leg, and just standing there one day a few weeks later with it just twisted right with all my weight...pow the exact same thing to my left leg. Dislocation, broken cartilege, two more torn ligaments. Then I was in a wheelchair for two weeks until my repaired right leg was strong enough to use crutches. I never played team sports again.

It took at least a year to recover from this on my left leg. Longer on my right (see below). The athletes that are able to rehab and be back in a few months must be either foolish or freaks of nature. But I am leaning toward foolish. You are much, much more susceptible to re-injury if you rush back to a routine like you had before the injury. Depending on your age it honestly may never be the 100%, but rushing back you can ensure a longer period of recovery. I was riding an MX bike a few weeks after the second surgery and the re-injured the right leg, which lead to another ACL repair a year later when it was obvious PT wasn't working .

I wholeheartedly recommend following your doctor and PT's advice. They will stress the need to take things slowly. For your own sake please listen to them.