Mazda3/6 | FerrariChat

Mazda3/6

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by noahlh, Aug 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Ok, so I think it may be time for me to part with my not-so-daily-driver, my beloved 2000 VW Jetta. Great car, lots of fun, plenty of power, introduced me to my love of cars (without which I would never be here) and my love of modding cars, but not the right car for NYC's streets.

Also, my needs/tastes have changed over the past 4 years -- when I got the Jetta, I was up in MA and wanted cheap thrills, sportyness, a 5-speed, etc. etc. I did plenty of mods to the Jetta, stiffened up the suspension, made it more fun.

Now, I'm in NYC most of the time and get plenty of thrills with the 360. So whereas modability and wannabe-sportyness were the prime factors before, now I'm looking for something comfortable, cheap (it's gonna get beat up in NYC no matter how I cut it), a bit of fun (hey, I can't be too much of an old fogey), and maybe even -- *gasp* -- an automatic...(the clutch is a pain in NYC. Period.)

While up in Boston this week, I rented a Mazda6 to get around. Kinda liked that car ... comfy, cheap, still sporty, etc. Drove it down to NYC and it handled the potholes like a champ. Sure, it topped out at 105mph (it was the 4-banger, after all) and was a bit floaty in the turns, but again, that's what the 360 is for. I need something that will get me around NYC and to and from Boston (I do that trip 2 - 3 times / month) in comfort, and something that won't make my teeth chatter or heart sink when I bang over a pothole.

I just priced out a full-loaded Mazda6 on carsdirect.com, and it's $23k all said and done. And that's for the 220hp V6'd, 17" wheeled, leather seated, moonroofed, Bose sound systemed version. There's also the Mazda3, which is smaller and less powerful (160hp I-4), but has on-board navigation & xenon light options, two things that appeal to me and that aren't available on the 6.

Anyway, just thinking aloud....any thoughts/ideas on this subject?

nlh

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Try a mini, see if it 'feels right.'

G/L

Are you ok with used? If so, try for a dealer certified with extended warrenty audi S4. Good in the snow and in the dry. Runs about 22k for a 2000/2001 40k mile example (and that is ok since you get an extended fac warrenty). I dont know if they come in auto though...I never really looked into Audis (BMWs for me)

3. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Ah the SC, another great car, very nice. The SC300...same engine and drivetrain as a toyota supra, so if you want to go crazy....

As for the mini, I thought the regular non S was a 'cushy' ride?

4. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Omar,

FYI: 2001 Audi S4 Model Lineup

Audi S4 comes as either a $38,900 sedan, or, new for 2001, an S4 Avant wagon model priced at $40,500. Both versions are available with a choice of transmissions: 6-speed manual or, as a no-cost option, 5-speed Tiptronic automatic.

All S4s come with Audi's quattro all-wheel-drive system, a 250-horsepower twin-turbo V6, massive 225/45R17 tires and leather upholstery.

5. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Well there u go, a used model at around 22k with extended warrenty would be best then IMHO.

My heart says go for a BMW, but I know how it snows down here in PA, I can only imagine NY...

6. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Well the minis are great cars. You can get the S to be cushy with cushy non run flat tires. What I was suggesting is that the mini is a fun city car. As you know, I have both, and highway cruise on the Mini is not really fun. There are no center armrests (you can get a aftermarket one). There is no door armrest.

I do Los ANgeles to Seattle (straight 18 hour) drives on my Sc300 with no problem. I don't do more than 1 hour on the Mini.

Maybe I am spoiled. Just my .02 pesos.

7. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Well if you say BMW, the M coupe is a great car. 3 of my friends bought used ones in the last 3 months. 240Hp, 17 inch rubber, deep dish lips. They bought between 21-27K for all 3 cars.

They all live in Chatham, NJ.

8. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yea but its @$$ ugly. :) I dont like RWD in winter. No matter how good it gets, it cannot manage going up a freaking hill in snow from a stop... (Long story...longg story)

9. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    What can I say, us 'old time' 7 series drivers are pretty set in our ways. :D

11. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    go for the 6 sedan or 5-door, you won't regret it.

12. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Check out the new model from Scion -- I think it's called the tC (?).

It's nicely appointed, decently powered, and it has superb fit and finish (after all, it's a Toyota...).

And the most important consideration for a daily beater -- it's cheap!