Max Verstappen | Page 86 | FerrariChat

Max Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by CRG125, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Stroll Snr would throw the kitchen sink into Lance's side of the garage.

But Max will still hustle a 3 wheeled wagon :D

stavura, furoni, Bas and 2 others like this.
  2. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    What are you talking about "scared"? Going with the reverse psychology, since RB is rightfully scared of being left without an outlook on a winning package coming 5/6 years, which will undoubtedly have an impact on keeping sponsorship/Max Verstappen on board. It's definitely not the manufacturer with the record-breaking WCC/WDC-titles with a couple more up for grabs. Why would they change anything about that?

Everybody hating on Racing Point for using Merc tech, but RB should have the natural right to get that Merc engine because it would be better for them? Yeah, not buying that. RB needs to step up their game with what's available to them

william likes this.
  3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    To win races and continue at the front of the pack. Some they cannot do when subject as customer engine buyer.

Sure they can sell it to any other car manufacture--they just can't use it internally because they are a drink manufacture.

And let all that talent go; along with their livelihoods.

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

+1 I agree entirely with you.

What is funny is that Bas Jaski always criticises Mercedes, but would like their engine to equip his favourite team in future !

ktu likes this.
  5. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I fully understand why many are bored with Mercedes dominance but the blame lays firmly at the FIA's door.
    The FIA intervened when the sport became monotonous with Schumacher dominance and spiced things up in favour of Michelin runners.

Mercedes as an organization have smashed the sporting context of F1.

It wasn't so many years ago that we saw 3 or 4 independent racing teams slugging it out at the front.

stavura, furoni, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  6. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    FIA only needs to look at MotoGP. There, the winning depends for 95% on the abilities, talent and the courage of the drivers.
    Only a small margin is decided by the power of the machine itself.

Mainly aerodynamics have made F1 boring.

Bas, SimCity3 and Flavio_C like this.
  7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Which is why getting rid of all sorts of aero will lead to better racing.
    Single plane wings (no DRS)
    no barge boards,
    no winglettes
    no under tray
    no diffusers
    no Coanda effect

Longer deceleration times give more opportunities to pass under brakes,
    Lower aero gives higher top speeds and more opportunities to pass on the straights,
    Lower aero gives slower corner speeds and more opportunities to pass in the corners.

375+, 635CSI, SimCity3 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Again you are intentionally trolling or your nurse hasn't fed your meds on time. I've quite clearly said, on numerous occasions (even on this very page of this thread!) that if I was Mercedes, I also wouldn't hand over my engine. This is a continued discussion about selling Red Bull, as if that magically solves the engine issue? They still wouldn't get one!

Red Bull can step up their game all they like, but the FIA is stopping development, so good luck on that one.

I call it scared, you call it tactics. Like I said in numerous other posts, I understand why Mercedes doesn't give their engine to Mercedes. See post 2114 on this very thread, for example.

Exactly this.

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Well they did before, right until the FIA started meddling and made engines so complicated a non-manufacturer team couldn't possibly make their competitive engine.

....which brings us back to square 1, IF you can find a buyer, who would possibly want extremely expensive technology that will be outlawed in a few years? They'll never make their ROI. Everyone is told to make milkfloats now. And at that, even if they could sell the tech, they'd have clearly be the best in order to be wanted to be bought. Honda has been developing the hybrid F1 engine since 2013, and it's still not very good. Despite throwing well over a billion at it.

So you agree with me there, telling 2 teams to quit because FIA prevents fair competition is a daft proposition.

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    You confuse Red Bull for Mclaren. Mclaren insisted that Honda should make their engine to fit exactly in Mclaren's chassis. Since the switch to Red Bull, Red Bull designed their way around the Honda engine, thus allowing the Honda engine to do it's work properly.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    That you don't know !

Ferrari, Mercedes or Renault may be willing to deal with the new owners.

What could be blocking everything is the attitude of the Red Bull management, IMO.

Let's not forget that Red Bull wants to stop engine development to suit themselves.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Use your head for just a moment. Who alive would buy Red Bull team, the 2nd best team on the grid, to make it slower? The reason why Mercedes doesn't want to supply is because the Red Bull team is fast. Not because they (or rather, you) don't like the management.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    You don't know that ! Once more, you are speculating.
    Soon, they may not be so fast, and they may even be overtaken by other teams.
    I don't think they will ever solve their engine problem to their satisfaction: having their cake and eating it. :p
    So Red Bull value may go down, plus Mateschitz could put his threat to leave to execution and put the team(s) for sale.

14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    As are you!

The trend for red Bull is not something to bet against. Since 2009 they've been strong contenders every year.

15. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Racing Point is faster than the Red Bull.
    Max is making up the difference.

Igor Ound likes this.
  16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    No, I think they should set up and build their own engines (or quit if they cannot make a deal).

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

And if they take over the Honda engine, they shouldn't immediatly ask for engine freeze because it suits them.

DF1 likes this.
  18. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I give it 3 years. 21, 22, 23...at the most.

19. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

There's nothing like unpredictability for selling tickets

:D

20. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

And then we get to the same point again: That's pretty mch impossible. Ferrari, with all their know how on building engines and F1 experience, has a dog **** engine. And they have 7 years racing experience with the hybrids, and at bare minimum 8 years building these things.

Cosworth when the rules where announced left the sport. They knew they couldn't compete. Their bread and butter is engines!

And again, new engines by 2025-6. Spend over a billion trying to compete then bin it. Perfect business sense.

SimCity3 likes this.
  21. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Boxing needs leather gloves - neither politically correct or socially relevant.

F1 needs V10's - neither politically correct or socially relevant.

Both need Box Office to survive.

stavura, 375+, jpalmito and 1 other person like this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Forget about Cosworth, Ilmor or else ...
    Regardless of technical rules, no independent engine builders would survive without constructor's support these day.
    Do you need to be reminded that Cosworth was sub-contracting for Ford when they launched their DFV, and subsequent engines?
    It's the same in IRL, with far less complicated engines; Honda and Chevrolet share the field.

You would like Mercedes to make its power units available to any team that asks for it, and mostly Red Bull.
    Highly unrealistic, I would say.

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    bingo. Lets see what Stefano Domenicalli comes with....they can't leave it much longer.
    DFV was made in an era of relative simplicity, thus, lower cost. Relative cost of DFV development is many leagues lower, inflation adjusted. Impossible to compare the two eras.

You still fail to read my posts. I already said that if I was in Mercedes shoes I wouldn't hand over my engine to my closest rival (countless times). But because of the complexity of the engines, the FIA is to blame.

If today was the V10 era from 1998-2005, I'm confident that Red Bull would most likely have developed their own engine from 2016 onwards, if not earlier.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #2149 william, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    I read you alright, but you keep blaming Mercedes of being "scarred" for not giving Red Bull their engine !

No point blaming the FIA as you constantly do. F1 is a business for adults !

The 4 engine manufacturers approved of the hybrid technical rules, some with great enthusiasm.

The hybrid rules were not imposed on the teams, there was no blindfold, they agreed to participate !

Also, no point bringing V10 is all your posts; the V10 era is gone, for ever !

25. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    F1 needs to become a spectacle and a competition to survive. The hybrid formula is a joke and is killing the sport.

Bas as you have outlined many times before F1 needs a simpler, affordable engine formula--and dump the aero.

stavura, Bas, SimCity3 and 1 other person like this.