Max Verstappen | Page 64 | FerrariChat

Max Verstappen

Discussion in 'F1' started by CRG125, Aug 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I don't think he cares if he is or isn't called inteligent by others. What he cares is to drive as fast as he can and beat all drivers on the track.

I interacted with him for a bit during his karting years and the last thing I would say is that he lacks "human diamension".

2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

if the Red Bull is in contention next season Hamilton will be jumping on the radio again with "I need more power".

As a driver Max has the measure of Lewis, and Charles is almost there too.

375+, ypsilon, stavura and 1 other person like this.
  3. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Max has not shown me he can be as consistent as Lewis, If you look at the previous races/years you will find Max made more mistakes than Lewis

4. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    LewHam has been at it a longer than MV.

5. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Yes, another reason he does not have "the measure" of Lewis, having said that, Max is far from a rookie

william likes this.
  6. RobertJRB

RobertJRB Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Till Belgium 2019 Max finished 21 races in a row with 4 x a fifth place as the worst result.
    This year he did made two mistakes which cost him the race, in Belgium the first corner and Mexico with the qualifying loosing the pole. Overall it seems pretty consistent to me.
    As a reference Lewis also made two clear mistakes costing him a good finish, at Germany sliding of the track and in Brasil.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

ktu likes this.
  7. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    He's getting better

RobertJRB likes this.
  8. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Nice to know there's a french expression for perfect idiots; if theirs a driver currently in F1 wordy of that (not very classy) title, I'd say without any hesitation it's Grosjean.

Given the cause of this dicussion: the scrutiny Ferrari is currently under gives me a feeling that there's unfortunately more truth in Verstappens words than we know. Obviously the F1 teams know a lot more than we do, it was even RB who pointed FIA towards the fuel issue.

And you mentioned Lauda and Marko. Lauda and Marko are certainly very similar characters. The way they speak and express themselves, their backgrounds.

9. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Far from me to stand here and defend Ferrari, but when there is a doubt about the legality of a competitor's car(s), there is a procedure to deal with that.
    It's called a protest, and you lodge it to the FIA. Then you let them deal with it by means of an enquiry, etc ....
    That's what Racing Point, for example, did when they appealed against the Renault braking system.
    What Red Bull and Verstappen have done instead, was merely to spread rumours without officially protesting against Ferrari.
    That's the coward way of doing things, and they don't deserve much sympathy for that.
    I don't know if Ferrari is right or wrong, and I don't care, but Red Bull have shown what a scheming bunch they are!

500drvr likes this.
  10. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Yes, although this is not the first time the teams make FIA aware of each others solutions. And I believe what RB did is asking FIA if Ferrari's solution for their feulling system was according to the technical regulations.

By the way the subsequent directives FIA issues after the US GP and before the Brazilian GP and the issue Ferrari had this weekend at Bahrein does make me think Ferrari have been a bit naughty this season.

11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I would say the FIA has been naughty for prohibiting teams from developing their PU's upto Mercedes spec since 2014.

Robbed the sport of car evolution.

stavura and fil like this.
  12. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    DISLIKE. You never met him personally to afirm that.

RobertJRB likes this.
  13. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    HIS DAD.

14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    The apple never falls far from the tree...
    The values a father did not have cannot be transferred to his son by education.

You yourself described him as down to earth... perhaps you do not know that is a polite euphemism for ignorant, uncouth, uneducated...?

william likes this.
  15. Marco Polo

Marco Polo Rookie

Jan 14, 2017
    Cheshire, UK
    No it isn't. That expression is used in a complimentary context.

Check Collins English Dictionary (and others)

down-to-earth
    say that someone is down-to-earth, you approve of the fact that they concern themselves with practical things and actions, rather than with abstract theories.
    [approval]
    Gloria is probably the most down to earth person I've ever met.
    ...her sincerity and her down-to-earth common sense.
    Their ideas seem to be far more down to earth and sensible.
    Synonyms: sensible, practical, realistic, common-sense

Marco

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Believe what you wish...

17. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I think it's a common mistake to judge a person by dialectically compare he/she to another person: "oh, if I think Leclerc is the nice kid on the block, so Verstappen should be the bad guy because he has a different personality."

First of all, let's be very honest: racing drivers are not the most "couth" or educated group of people there is. I have met and talked to many professional racing drivers, three of which arrived in F1. From my memory, I don't remember a single one who I would classify as very educated or very inteligent.

That being said, and I think I had enough time to judge, Verstappen is not arrogant in real life as he might appear to be in F1 interviews. He does have tremendous self-confidence that he can beat anyone in the race track, true, but that doesn't mean he is a jerk.

I can assure you that behind the scenes he has a different character from his father's.

ypsilon, stavura and SimCity3 like this.
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Nice to hear and in the spirit of Christmas let's leave it at that, I am heading for a family funeral tomorrow so not much time for the F1 section in the next few weeks.

All the best,

Marc

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

This hardly surprising when you see from what young age they dedicated themselves solely to their sport, at the expense of their education.
    Some were competing in kart before teenage, barely meeting the legal requirement to attend school.
    Most of the last generation in F3, F2 and now F1 didn't finish high school, I guess, so left without much education.

Flavio_C likes this.
  20. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Yes, you are correct. But that's not the last generation, it happens at least since the early 90's. Take for example karting. A race event is held from Thursday to Sunday, but the drivers should be at the race venue on Wednesday. So at least 3 days of school the 8-16-year olds will miss. And you are not talking about testing, flights, etc. Most of the drivers don't go to regular schools, they have private tutors and then do some sort of exams to graduate.

Nelson Piquet senior didn't send Nelson Jr and Pedro to Europe because he wanted them to finish regular high school first.

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/50624423 -
    Jolyon Palmer column: Max Verstappen edges it over Lewis Hamilton - The Formula 1 season ended in Abu Dhabi on Sunday with a podium that summed up the season perfectly - the three outstanding drivers of the year were all on it.

ypsilon likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Apparently Nico Rosberg's parents insisted for him to receive a comprehensive education first.
    Nico finished his secondary education and passed the entry exam to an engineering college in UK, before switching to motor racing full time.
    I am not sure his contemporary Hamilton did that.

500drvr likes this.
  23. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    DF1 likes this.
  24. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Ferrari CEO Louis Camilleri does not appear to have a lot of time for Max Verstappen following comments made about the Scuderia this season.

Max Verstappen accused Ferrari of cheating as Ferrari’s drop in pace coincided with the FIA issuing a series of Technical Directives relating to engine legality.

Camilleri was asked why Ferrari had never directly responded to Verstappen’s comments and he said the silent treatment can sometimes be the best way to go.

“Silence in some situations is more powerful than words,” Camilleri told reporters in Ferrari’s end-of-year debrief.

“We are Ferrari, we are a company quoted on the stock exchange, why give credibility to a 22-year-old kid?

“It was a way to put us under pressure.”

Asked if Ferrari were interested in signing Verstappen, Camilleri simply said: “No.”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-on-max-why-give-credibility-to-a-22-year-old/

500drvr and william like this.
  25. RobertJRB

RobertJRB Karting

Feb 8, 2012

Hope Lec does not read this.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

sammysaber likes this.