mattresses. foam, hybrid. whats the latest | FerrariChat

mattresses. foam, hybrid. whats the latest

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Edward 96GTS, Apr 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    looking to get a new cal king mattress.
    whats the new technology?
    i see where ultra high end ones go for $100k 😳
    but im thinking under $2k.
    any insight? prefer med firm to firm.

2. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Both my recommendations are either loved by the users or totally hated. Either the select comfort sleep number beds or the competing Tempur-Pedic beds. I like these beds. I love the adjustability, can tailor to your comfort. Since both are dual side adjustable a partner can also tailor to their needs on their side of the bed. Both offer several models, basic that start around $700 to over $4k. The key the lower end offers the same level of back support, etc. The higher end is thing like fancy pillow tops. They add nothing to comfort and will be covered by sheets. So in these beds less money doesn't necessarily mean less quality comfort wise.

The risk here is the love it or hate it. You'll either love it or hate it.

Unbiased TempurPedic Vs Sleep Number (Select Comfort) Bed Comparison 2015 : Rated on 20 Criteria : Choice Air Mattress

3. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Went mattress shopping with the girlfriend and here's the lowdown;

"New tech/memory foam/etc". What was explained to us as we tried different beds, is that some foams are designed to last longer and keep from sagging over coil beds. Some of these mattresses ranged anywhere from spongy soft to firm. The showroom we visited had a $5000 Beautyrest mattress, so I thought I would lay on it and see what this was all about. What a potential buyer gets for a $5K Beautyrest is a coil-less "lasagna" bed constructed of assorted foams with different support technology designed to last out to 10 years. And the mattress itself was thick, a box/mattress all-in-one design. As I lay on this bed, I wasn't really all that impressed. The foam let me sink down, mold to my body shape, but when I turn, that imprint was still left in the foam as I turn, and took a few seconds to re-shape to my form again. No, not for me.

I preferred firm, she preferred medium soft, so we had to compromise on something. In the end, we settled on a Serta foam/coil type for just a little under two grand.

4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Just bought a $5.5k king set after owing a S&F (from Sleepys )$4k top of the line for only 2yrs. I "ruined" the foam topper built into the bed. Being 240lbs for most of the time I guess the foam couldn't handle it and just ceased on recoiling so I was sleeping on compressed foam for the last 6 months, annoying as hell, no bounce, very hot, it may as well been a plaster of paris mold that I was laying in. No more foam for me. Went with Asteria (sp?) a Bloomingdale's brand, all coil, firmest model. They had a special and they offer 5 year prorated return if unsatisfied (which was the reason I bought) So far so good (1 week). I roll side to side in the night and now I can as opposed to having to fight my self-made impression in the foam.

5. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I've got some friends who recently went with a foam-something-or-other thing. Wasn't cheap. They *hate* it.... Say it gets WAY too hot. Apparently, you sink in to the thing and it's like being cocooned in foam.....

Cheers,
    Ian

6. erik__c

erik__c Rookie

Oct 21, 2014
    DC
    Full Name:
    Erik
    My wife's big into minimizing chemicals she's exposed to, so we just got a Naturepedic EOS mattress. It's two layers -- coils, with a thick foam topper. Organic cotton and other things so there's no chemical-based fire retardants that (supposedly) off-gas and that you (again, supposedly) breathe in while sleeping. Plus, our California King is really two long twins that zip into a heavy-duty casing. Sounds odd, but it feels like one bed when it's all put together -- with the benefit that the separate mattresses make it so we don't notice it as much when the other gets up at night. I have no idea if all this organic, no chemical thing makes a difference, but it's a comfy bed and my wife's happy.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Something to remember, there's always a "new" technology because all of the previous gimmicks have failed.