Massive performance loss & misfirings | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Massive performance loss & misfirings

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by vespasian, Mar 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cinquevalvole

cinquevalvole Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Germany, Bayern
    Hi Vespa,

Hope your crank is still in good shape. If so, you can rebuild without reaching worst case costs.

bless you!

2. alastairhouston

alastairhouston Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2009
    Largs Scotland UK
    Full Name:
    Alastair Houston
    It is not so expensive or dificult to redo the timing system and front cover ie new chain etc also rebuilding waterpump is doable speaking as a novice, hope yo get a good outcome.
    Regards

3. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    Those connecting rod bearings look great. I have seen damaged units -- from a Chevy V8, not a Ferrari -- and yours show no damage at all, or even any noticeable wear. That is a good indication that your main bearings are also in good shape. I was thinking, where would iron come from?, and I would guess only the timing gears would be iron. That is where I would look for the source of the particles in your oil pan.

4. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Since that car had the good grace to hurt itself while in the shop, I predict you and it will have a long and happy relationship.
    It could have more easily failed above 4,000 RPM out on the Autobahn.
    You are really lucky!
    Greg

5. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Recently, three cars had the same symptoms of misfires mid range (3500/4000 RPM) in France. All due to the timing chain:
    One 365 GTC4, the distribution chain tensioner adjustment still had enough travel left, was adjusted and the engine stopped misfiring
    One 400i, the chain tensioner adjustment was fully pushed in (no more travel), the distribution was opened, broken teeth etc... All renewed and now the engine is 100%.
    One 365 GT4 2+2 in the middle of the same process as the 400i of renewing the distribution

6. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Hi Vespa, just stumbled onto this thread and recently encountered exactly the same problem on my car, a recently acquired 1978 400 Auto.

In my case the car was running rough, wouldn't pull cleanly and one of the carbs was spitting back. I knew that the engine needed tuning but even afterwards still wouldn't rev cleanly over 4000 rpm. After much messing around it turned out that there was a fault with one of the distributors (something was loose) which was throwing the timing out. Now this has been sorted the problem is gone and she revs cleanly right through the rev range.

I really hope that your other engine problems aren't too severe as there are not enough of these lovely cars left on the road so we really don't want to lose another one. Good luck to you.