MASSA DOESN'T SUCK | Page 37 | FerrariChat

MASSA DOESN'T SUCK

Discussion in 'F1' started by DEAF1, Oct 14, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Not really, their cars are terrible in the rain and they mistimed the stop for inters to boot

2. DEAF1

DEAF1 Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Anaheim Hills OC
    Massa will be ahead of Bottas after the next race.... 3 points is chump change!

He has big time confidence, a fast car, nothing to lose and everything to gain...

Bravo Felipe Bravo!!!!! Whoop that Bottas A$$....

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I really think that there is little difference between Massa and Bottas at the moment, they are pretty evenly matched. I am amazed that Massa seems to be as quick as ever, can't see the logic in Ferrari pursuing Bottas when he isn't comprehensively whupping Massa.

4. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    WEll, despite what some guys around here think, Massa in his days was as good as anyone, probably better, so if one believes he is driving at his best, or near his best again, Bottas is doing a fine job, and of course, he is much younger, while Felipe probably won't be staying many more years now.

5. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Exactly. It's not to say Bottas is whooping him like how Alonso whooped Kimi. There's hardly any difference in the points. I don't see the logic of Ferrari pursuing Bottas. Overrated, IMO.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Yes, maybe. Last year I would have said that it would have made sense for Ferrari to hire Bottas, because to my eyes, he was much more convincing. This year there is not much to choose between him and Felipe; so maybe it would made sense for Ferrari to hire Felipe to replace Kimi, because he would be as fast, but much less expensive, than Bottas?

Rgds

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Are you suggesting that Ferrari should re-hire all his former drivers?

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Why not? Felipe has proven to be as fast as Bottas this year, and is probably cheaper, so...hire him and paid him by his results (points), where is the problem?

More seriously, I would like them to hire a "young future Top Gun"; Hulkenberg or Bottas do not make the cut for me.

Rgds

9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Well, it's a matter of choice, but for my part, I think you always look forwards and not revisit the past.

I find strange that teams rehire drivers several years after they let them go (Kimi, Alonso).

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It's somewhat in the DNA of Ferrari, isn't it?

Enzo himself:
    - did it with Jacky Ickx in 1970;
    - almost did it with Chris Amon in 1973- the deal was agreed, but "outside factors" (sponsors, and Chris unease at breaking his word) stopped it.
    - did it with Clay Reggazzoni at the end of 1973.
    - almost did it with Mario Andretti at the end of 1977: the deal was agreed, but Chapman - and JPS - raised his offer substantially to keep Mario at Lotus.
    - Mario did an interim in 1982...
    After Enzo, Ferrari did it again with Gerhard Berger in 1993.

Luca di Montezemolo himself also had two spells at Ferrari (1973 to 1977, then came back in 1993)

Rgds

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The question is; was any of these come-backs a success?

I can understand that some time expediency takes over, but many returns only make people realise they were right the first time.

12. JWeiss

JWeiss F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2010
    NYC and Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    JWeiss
    Felipe seems to be having a great time at Williams. Why on Earth would he even consider coming back to Ferrari?

13. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Ickx was top notch during his time at Ferrari, didn't win the championship because the car kept breaking, because when it lasted the distance he usualy finished top spot.....Same with Clay, almost won in 74, reliability costed him the title, still a worthy second driver to Niki for 75 and 76....Mario did pole on his return but the car broke, Gerhard also did ok, but 93 car was crap....

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    for a lot more money?

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Money isn't everything ...

Felipe must know all about the politics at the Scuderia by now; why would he want to go back to that?

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    By his own account, Ickx recognised that he wasn't really motivated by a title back then.
    He confessed having lost interest in the title the year Rindt was killed a Monza, when he was still mathematically in contention.

17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Can you blame him? in those days, those guys had principles and repsct amongst themselves, Ickx didn't want to be known as the guy who won the championship against a dead man!!

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Mario got a podium on his last race for Ferrari, didn't he? Third at las Vegas?

19. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think, moving back to Felipe will be a step backwards for him. He seems, for some reason, much happier and is making less mistakes than he used to. I think, he should finish out his career at Williams.

Who knows, if they can up their game, He might be able to take a couple of victories before calling it a day.

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Massa seems happier at Williams than at Ferrari.

I think it's a matter of atmosphere and pressure.

Not everybody fits at Ferrari; some love it, some hate it.

21. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    But when Alonso was there the atmosphere was much much worse...

22. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Alonso is the king of guy with a pestilent aura, even flowers die when he goes by!!!

23. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Fred was bringing money to ferrari so it was all about fred . Massa has always been a professional who gets paid to drive not a pay driver like fred

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Spot on...

25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

So, do you think Massa was paid, but Alsonso wasn't ?

The expression "pay driver" isn't quite precise, and is sometimes misplaced.

What happens if a driver manages to obtain a personal sponsor who follows him through his career? Is he a pay driver?
    This occurs more and more nowadays; young drivers become tied up with management companies and sponsors who support very early on in their career.
    Case of Nasr or Ericson, for example.
    Let's be fair, without sponsors not many people would be able to climb the steps leading to F1.

Was Hamilton a pay driver during his early years and during his first year at McLaren?